Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Break and turn indicators notworkiing

I've been reading the post on this blog for a time but this is the first time I've written to it. Hope someone in the community can help me figure this out.

Here's the Problem: Turn indicators and break lights not working on either side.
Running lights working fine everywhere including the rear brake and turn indicator lights.

I pulled the right rear light and connected a temporary ground wire (using a wire tap) from the primary ground (white wire) to the same grounding point near the front of the trailer where the battery and the electrical junction box both attach to the trailer frame. The right break light and turn indicator both worked but were very dim. The left side didn’t work at all.

I tried connecting the left side brake light using a temporary ground but to be honest I didn't use the exact same grounding point but it still didn't work.

I have checked the 7 pin on the tow and I get positive indications for running light, right and left turn and break lights.

I checked the 7 pin on the trailer for proper ground and I get continuity between Pin 1 and the primary grounding point on the trailer frame.

One more observation, I don't think the emergency flashers are working at all no matter how I connected to ground.

Any suggestions where to go next?

Thanks for your help,

Ron Mathews
2017 White Hawk 23MBE
2004 Chevy Suburban
RonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

Clean the posts and holes in the hitch plug with emery cloth, very fine sand paper until the shine bright. Plug them in and see if you make a difference.

Pull off the frame ground and sand it and re-attach it even if you checked it before.

Pull the main fuse, check and clean the fuse holder and fuse.

I check and clean my hitch plug every season.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

Have you checked the fuses inside the Suburban, a few years back I pinched the wire harness and shorted a few wires which caused the trailer stop/turn lights not to work, running lights were fine. They are separate from the vehicle stop/turn fuses
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Have you checked the fuses inside the Suburban, a few years back I pinched the wire harness and shorted a few wires which caused the trailer stop/turn lights not to work, running lights were fine. They are separate from the vehicle stop/turn fuses
Yep, look under the hood next to the battery, GM uses a relay with a fuse for trailer lights
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Just a point. The brake lamp, turn signal, and emergency flashers are all the same filament on the bulb. I'm making an assumption the signals, brake lights, and 4 ways are all working on the truck(?).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

You might just try to replace the bulbs. JFlightRisk may hit on something.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Oh, did you install any LED bulbs on your truck? They can do screwy things to trailer lights. Do you have the owners manual for the Suburban? That would give you which fuses to check, and where. There's probable fuses under the dash as well, to check. Oh, and there's a panel on the driver's side edge of the dash when you open the door. Three places to look!
The ground connection can be checked by hooking booster cables to the frame of the truck, and the trailer frame.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 06-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #8

I did the jumper cable test when they first failed and it didn't have any affect. The lights on the Suburban are all working and I'm getting a good signal when I tested the pins i.e.. flashing on turn and steady on break....I'm leaning toward bad connections in the trailer but I haven't completely ruled out the suburban ether. First thing I'm going to do is clean everything again and see what happens. The running lights are on a separate pin and those work all the time.. Thing is the left and right break/turn indicators are on separate pins as well so that's kind of driving me nuts. Thanks very much!
Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Something that just came to mind. On our TT, the trailer cable goes into a junction block (on the front of the frame, where it gets soaked in transit), so I checked the innerds, and sealed it the best I could. Perhaps there's a connection problem there, if you have a similar box. I found house type wire nuts inside ours. A problem just waiting to happen.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #10

I do have the same electrical box on the front of the trailer, right behind the battery. I looked in there and it seemed pretty clean but I didn't pull anything out to check closer. I'll be dong that in the morning. Thanks

Tags
break lights not working