Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Busted radiator blues

I have been occasionally smelling antifreeze outside of my truck for the last couple of months, but never could find a leak dripping under it. While towing for the labor day weekend coolant temp ran just a bit warmer than normal while towing on the interstate, around 220-230, when it typically stays at 210. I decided to do a bit more digging and it looks like the radiator is leaking at the bottom drivers side. It was going into a tray of sorts that the radiator appears to sit on, which stopped it from dripping on the ground. Anyone have any experience with part store radiators? I just want to make sure it isn't one of those oem only items. Although the oem only lasted 80k miles so maybe it doesn't matter. Changing it looks easy, just need to figure out which one to use.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

I would use this opportunity for an upgrade. Go with a thicker rad from a reputable aftermarket company. Probably cheaper than OEM too and will work better especially since it's a tow vehicle.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Be aware of what your parts store/repair shop is offering. There's "new", and then "re-cored" which is like a remanufactured part. Re-using the tanks, with a new core installed. Also ask about the warranties for both. Remember, you get what you pay for. Are you planning on keeping your truck for a while longer?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

What year and what truck?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Almost all vehicles now used aluminum cored radiators with plastic tanks. It is possible to buy a new core and use the old tanks, but it is just about as cheap to buy a new radiator. Any name brand aftermarket radiator should be fine.

Advice from my radiator guy: The best thing you can do for your radiator is to drain and fill your antifreeze once per year. Antifreeze will keep it's freeze protection indefinitely, but it loses it's corrosion protection over time.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

2009 Silverado.

That is a valid point on the new vs remanufactured. I will have to look into that. Most of the part stores offer a limited lifetime warranty. Doesn't do you much good on the side of the interstate, two states from home though. I may take the opportunity to ditch the Dexcool.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Check on e-bay I have purchased a few on there for myself and friends and family
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
2009 Silverado.
The reason I ask, GM had a rash of bad crimps on radiators of that vintage, including the ones used in the KODIAK medium duty trucks and it was always the lower driver's side. You may just want to go to a reputable radiator shop that can pressure test and re-crimp to see what they say.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The reason I ask, GM had a rash of bad crimps on radiators of that vintage, including the ones used in the KODIAK medium duty trucks and it was always the lower driver's side. You may just want to go to a reputable radiator shop that can pressure test and re-crimp to see what they say.

Excellent info, thank you.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #10

If you have a Performance Radiator shop in or near your town, I have had good luck with their brand over the years. Last one was made for the heat in Arizona. Bigger is sometimes better.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #11

I wanted to follow up just in case someone stumbles onto this thread when researching a similar issue. We just completed about 900 miles round trip, including 680 miles of towing through Tennessee with no coolant loss and temps stayed where they have always been. Think the replacement radiator took care of the issue. It was leaking in the driver side lower portion of the radiator, but never could isolate what specifically was leaking.