Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpStation View Post
I wouldn't worry about being 600 to 1k pounds over. These specs are always well under the design limits for safety reasons and rightfully so. Other than being a little sluggish on your inclines, 600 pounds over will feel no different than being 600 pounds under.
I don't think I would want to be in front of a jury, after an accident, when the specs were called out and you had exceeded them. Insurance may not apply when your over what the ratings are.

Bottom line, my family is more important than dollars, I would rather be overly safe than saying I shoulda if something were to happen. Over weight puts strain on every part of your vehicle. Just because you can drag it down the road, doesn't mean you should.

Good Luck on whatever you decide. Remember it's not just your and your family at risk it's everyone else on the road also. You may be successful 1000 times...and the 1001 the planets align and something weird happens.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpStation View Post
I wouldn't worry about being 600 to 1k pounds over. These specs are always well under the design limits for safety reasons and rightfully so. Other than being a little sluggish on your inclines, 600 pounds over will feel no different than being 600 pounds under.
Actually that's not true. You're talking a 1200# difference. When we bought the X20E and towed it home with our Trailblzer, it was at it's "as shipped weight" of 3900#. Towed beautifully. I was very excited. When we went camping, fully loaded that is, it was not the same experience. It was OK, but not stellar. That's at about 4500#. This was not my first go-around at pushing weight limits. The closer you get to the listed limit, the less capable it is to handle the weight.

If its sluggish on inclines, it'll be horrible on 6% mountain grades, and not so good in 40 mph head winds. The specs aren't only about performance, they are about what the vehicle's structure can handle before excess wear occurs.

I've done this both ways more than once and there is a marked difference in towing comfort when you have a healthy margin in your capacities.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
OP, I would give a call those guys

Towing Expertise | Introduction - Can-Am RV Centre

They are just experts who set up thousands of sedans / SUVs for towing. Andy Thomson is kind of people hero in the towing world. He is great guy and even when knowing that I will not drive to Canada to set up my car, he provided great feedback.

There is much more about the cars that make the towing stable than just payload... e.g. suspension, low center of gravity, short rear overhang, etc.
And make sure to ask Mr. Thomson to sign a paper accepting responsibility if something should go wrong and you get sued in civil court. I asked him that once on another forum and he would not answer the question. There's a good reason hundreds, if not thousands of RV dealers will not send customers out the door the way he does. Keep in mind that Canada does not have the "sue happy" mentality that the US does. So this really isn't an issue for him. He doesn't have to think about it.

I do understand the engineering behind much of what he's done. In some respects it's kind of cool. But there are realities of life that go far above this. He's honestly not doing any favors for people in the US.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #24

Sue can many, collect may few.

I am not trying to convince OP that his setup will work. I do not know this, I do not know his TV and the TT. However, I am pretty sure that if the guys at Can-am say it would work, I would believe this.

Signing papers taking responsibility?! People should be responsible for their actions. Therefore, it amazes me that dealers are acting as hitch police!

Everyone needs to do homework to understand the basics of towing. This is not the case on the US roads. Many assume that only truck can tow and proper hitch configuration, proper speed, etc. does not matter.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #25

Quote:

Signing papers taking responsibility?! People should be responsible for their actions. Therefore, it amazes me that dealers are acting as hitch police!
I agree with that. But there's one word that applies, liability. It's the society we live in. Not saying that's right, it's a reality we have to deal with.

Quote:

Everyone needs to do homework to understand the basics of towing. This is not the case on the US roads. Many assume that only truck can tow and proper hitch configuration, proper speed, etc. does not matter.
I have experience with this. I have knowingly towed travel trailers very close to my max towing capacities with a minivan and a mid-sized SUV. I learned more about towing than I'd ever dream doing research to make sure I wasn't going down the wrong path. You are right, many vehicles can potentially tow more than they are rated for. But as I said above, towing with a healthy margin is a FAR better towing experience. Again, personal experience. Also,
I'm not the only one to have this experience. I can't tell you the number of posts I've seen over the past 15 years where someone was led to believe it was OK to tow a 6k# trailer with a mini-van and year later bought a 1/2 ton truck and raved about the difference.

Just because a smaller vehicle can pull that beast down the Interstate doesn't mean that it's going to hold up well over time. They just aren't designed for that kind of stress. It's about wear and tear and sustainability as much as it's about proper hitch configuration, proper speed, etc. Just compare the suspensions between a mini-van, a car based SUV, and a 1/2 ton truck. Which one do you think can stand up best to the long term effects of towing a large trailer?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #26

Quote:
am surprised about the RPM mentioned for the Ridgeline. My Traverse generally turns under 3000 RPM on the interstate, unless climbing a very steep incline, but I do keep my speed to 60 or just under as that is all the TT tires are rated for. I've only had it shift down and turn 4500 climbing about a 7% grade.
I think that when the speed limits were 65 on two lane roads in AZ and NM we let speed creep to 70.. at 70 I think the increased wind resistance made the truck shift to a lower gear. We also were on Interstates with a speed limit of 75 and its hard to keep things down when there are semis going 80 along side you and in front and inback. Yes the tires are only good to 65.
On mountain grades( 12 percent between Oak Creek and Flagstaff) and Salt Creek Canyon and Escalante in Utah the speed was of course lower and the truck was not between gears so to speak. And there was no wind on that box.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #27

Trucks are not for everyone. I will never drive truck, no matter what. At the same time I am sure smaller cars can tow larger trailers as well. Maybe it is easier for me to accept this as I am from Europe where generally there are no trucks and people are towing large trailers. Many German SUVs has better brakes, better (independent) suspension, shorter rear overhang than trucks. All of this matters when towing. Sure, the payload, engine power, short wheelbase may constitute an issue depending on the particular trailer.

I truly believe everyone needs to use own brain to make the decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Just because a smaller vehicle can pull that beast down the Interstate doesn't mean that it's going to hold up well over time. They just aren't designed for that kind of stress. It's about wear and tear and sustainability as much as it's about proper hitch configuration, proper speed, etc. Just compare the suspensions between a mini-van, a car based SUV, and a 1/2 ton truck. Which one do you think can stand up best to the long term effects of towing a large trailer?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #28

Quote:

I truly believe everyone needs to use own brain to make the decisions.
Agreed. I appreciate you stating you are from Europe. That sheds an important light on your viewpoint. Trailers are made very differently in Europe. And the laws and safety specs on vehicles are very different than the US. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

What's more is that if you have never personally towed with a truck, I'm not sure how can speak to their towing ability.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #29

Don't forget the transmission cooler!
Old 06-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #30

So replacing the Acadia with a larger vehicle appears to be difficult when staying within our price range and current mileage. We must have 3 rows with 3 kids and car seat. We need to have trunk room so a regular Yukon is out. You can barely fit a bag of groceries behind the third row! The Yukon XL is HUGE and a 5'3 visibility for me driving that thing is difficult unless we upgrade to options like where the pedals can move closer to me. But the price tag to trade close to the same year and mileage as the Acadia is $10,000+ more...money we don't have especially after buying a TT...going up in mileage will bring down the price but then we are looking at ones with close to or over 100k...ugh

I did notice the Dodge Durango can tow up to 7,400 if you upgrade to a V8...and it has a third row option with slightly less space than the Acadia but slightly more than the Yukon...anyone have any experience towing with a Durango? Though I'm not sure I could ever get my husband to buy a Dodge...

Looking at the trade though now I'm back to sticking with the Acadia and getting a smaller TT...for the amount of use the TT will get vs. the TV it almost seems silly to trade just for that...but then looking at the smaller TTs I feel like the small ones will really feel cramped for us and as I said before, neither of us wants to do a pop up/hybrid. Just not our thing.

So now I feel like scrapping everything and buying nothing and going nowhere...just exhausted by this and feel like I'm just going in circles...

Thank you all for your feedback though!
jmatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #31

That's the trouble with Yukon XLs and Suburbans, the price! It's the reason we got a PU, more truck for less money than a 'Burb. BTW, My wife is 5' 1" and loved driving our Suburbans (had 3 over the years). Not hard to drive at all. So don't let size be a deterrent.

Durangos are noted for being good tow vehicles especially for your situation.

Nothing you do will be ideal unless you have unlimited money available. Figure out what's most important to you and base your decisions on that. For example, how much time do you spend outside verses inside? It may be that if you'd rather be by a camp fire and doing other outdoor activities, is a smaller unit really an issue?

I hope you can find a solution that works for you!
Old 06-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #32

I know the differences between US and European trailers very well. It does not change the fact that there are heavy trailers towed in Europe with non-truck vehicles. The main difference is the tongue weight and hence you have lower speed limits for towing in Europe (45-50 mph).

I towed with truck, I drove a truck - maybe my statement was not precise. I will never buy a truck. I did NOT speak about trucks ability to tow. I just mentioned those parts of SUVs which should provide better towing experience then those in trucks. Forgot to mention lower center of gravity. These are just objective facts.

Quote:
Agreed. I appreciate you stating you are from Europe. That sheds an important light on your viewpoint. Trailers are made very differently in Europe. And the laws and safety specs on vehicles are very different than the US. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

What's more is that if you have never personally towed with a truck, I'm not sure how can speak to their towing ability.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #33

Quote:
That's the trouble with Yukon XLs and Suburbans, the price! It's the reason we got a PU, more truck for less money than a 'Burb. BTW, My wife is 5' 1" and loved driving our Suburbans (had 3 over the years). Not hard to drive at all. So don't let size be a deterrent.

Durangos are noted for being good tow vehicles especially for your situation.

Nothing you do will be ideal unless you have unlimited money available. Figure out what's most important to you and base your decisions on that. For example, how much time do you spend outside verses inside? It may be that if you'd rather be by a camp fire and doing other outdoor activities, is a smaller unit really an issue?

I hope you can find a solution that works for you!
Just borrow chuck's x20 for the weekend and see how you like it, if you don't he'll give you your money back
Old 06-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #34

We tow with a 2007 Chrysler Aspen (which is pretty much a Durango). It has a 5.7L Hemi V8 but the smaller wheel base so it also has a tow rating of 7500 pounds. The GVWR of our 19RD is 6000 pounds. We tow ours very comfortably. The Aspen also has third row seating. It has the tow package which includes the transmission cooler. It took a while to find but we only purchased it last May with 75,000 miles on it for around $17000 which is not bad considering it is a full-sized SUV that can tow. With everyone being concerned about gas mileage a lot of people are giving up the bigger engines that love to eat gas so you may find a deal sooner or later!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #35

Looked at a Durango tonight...hubby was not a fan. Not that I blame him going from an Acadia Denali...even the Citadel model didn't win him over though it did have a nicer look. Also looked at the Yukon again and just can't do that kind of trunk space (or lack there of). So it will probably come down to a Suburban or Yukon XL.

Anyone own a 23k that they absolutely love? Or hated? Reasons? Just want to make sure it's worth the vehicle trade otherwise I look harder at a smaller TT.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #36

JM,

Welcome and congrats on looking at trailers!!!

I know you mentioned looking at a new tow vehicle, something nit mentioned about your Acadia is the factory receiver hitch rating. I don't recall exactly, but it has a max tw (tongue weight) of around 600 or 700lbs. Look for a sticker on the hitch to verify. The Burb has a 1000lb max tw rating.

Head over to one of the Traverse/Acadia forums for some more info as well. Another thing to keep in mind is you are trying to pull a rolling brick! Even a boat (with a v hull) of comoparable weight would be better and easier than a travel trailer, due to the wind resistance.

Good luck in your quest!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:20 AM   #37

Okay it looks like the Jayco Feather 19bh is our best option...the Forest River Cruiselite 195bh is essentially the same thing...but nearly $10k less list (2017 Jayco at dealer is $18k; 2017 Forest River at dealer is $10k). Anyone know why the drastic price difference? Or have thoughts about Jayco vs Forest River? I'm sure there will be plenty here on this forum
Old 06-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatwood View Post
Okay it looks like the Jayco Feather 19bh is our best option...the Forest River Cruiselite 195bh is essentially the same thing...but nearly $10k less list (2017 Jayco at dealer is $18k; 2017 Forest River at dealer is $10k). Anyone know why the drastic price difference? Or have thoughts about Jayco vs Forest River? I'm sure there will be plenty here on this forum

Plain and simple, Jayco is a superior product compared to FR. Jayco prides themselves on doing things others don't. Like offering items as standard instead of an option like most others do. There's a lot of "structure" comparing on the internet as well. Check out some comparison videos and you'll see what I mean. Just better..
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatwood View Post
Probably build level. Upgraded cabinets, additional features can happen within a Manufacturers offerings.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #40

FR makes fine TT's. The main thing that swayed me to Jayco is the 2 year warranty. But if there is the price differential you say, it would be hard to not look at FR. Take the savings and put it toward a newer TV.

Just my 2 pennies.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23k, acadia, tow, towing capacity, towing limits