Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Exclamation Can I tow a Jayco Jay Feather Select 23k with a 2013 Acadia Denali?

Okay I need help here and asap. We are scheduled to pick up a 2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 23k this weekend and although I thought I had researched enough about the towing requirements, now I'm freaking out because I'm afraid we might be cutting it too close, or even over. Below are the specs for each - can someone please help me figure this all out!? Can we safely tow this with our Acadia

GMC Acadia with factory installed towing package
GCVR = 10,450
GVWR = 6,100-6,459 (sticker says 6,249, online it says 6,100)
GAWR FRT= 3,196 lbs.
GAWR RR = 3527 lbs.
Tow Capacity 5,200 lbs.

Jayco Jay Feather Select 23k
UVW = 4,445 lbs.
Hitch weight: 545 lbs.
GVW = 5,900

We did get a sway bar that will be attached as well. Can anyone tell me if we can actually tow this safely with our vehicle? We will have 4-5 passengers totaling around 400-450 lbs. No idea what our gear will weigh. We don't plan on going anywhere we can't hook up as we have babies so not carrying anything or very little in tanks.

We are new to this all so any help would be greatly appreciated! We didn't want to have to trade vehicles so I tried to find a light weight travel trailer that we could tow with the Acadia that had 3 bunks (3 kids) a kitchen and a bathroom with no pop outs or slide outs and an actual bed for us parents (not a couch that folds down).

Thank you!
jmatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

I would check your cargo capacity, which may be on a yellow sicker on your drivers door post. Towing capacity is half the issue. Your cargo capacity would include tongue weight, cargo, people, and fuel. Without knowing what yours is, that would the next thing to check. Your trailer tongue weight will typically be higher than listed once your TT is loaded, propane etc added. Than to be sure you can go to a scale and weigh your set up to see exactly where your at.

Good Luck and happy camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Cargo Capacity

I believe it's 1,335 lbs according to the sticker on the Acadia. Does this help? Sorry I can't seem to figure out what I need to add, subtract, multiply or divide to see if this is actually doable before we buy the TT!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Assume 1334 lbs, deduct your hitch weight with hitch, probably 600 to 650 once your TT is loaded. Also deduct everything inside vehicle. Passengers 400 - 450, fuel, about 140 lbs, everything else inside the vehicle.

Appears your very close to your max...I'm sure it will pull it down the road, but stopping etc could get hairy. Make sure your trailer brakes are good, with a good controller. I would go to a cat scale with the trailer and check out just where your at. There are threads on here regarding cat scales and how to weight your set up.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

You are very tight on tolerances. With the trailer loaded, you will probably be pushing about 600+ lbs in tongue weight. Add 450 lbs of passengers, plus fuel and gear in the SUV and you are quite possibly over the CCC of the Acadia. It will be a fine balancing act for certain!

Also, from a dynamics point of view, I personally wouldn't want to be that close to the limit. I tow the Feather Select X19H with the Traverse (sister vehicle, same drivetrain) and it is comfortable, but heavy. I do scrub a bit of speed on long uphill grades for sure. Our trailer is 800 lbs (dry) to 1000 lbs (max) lighter than yours, and I don't generally have extra passengers these days, just DW and I. I think you might find that to be a whole lot of trailer for the Acadia.

Also keep in mind that those babies will grow a lot quicker than you expect and add weight to the setup each year. With 2 in college, I can attest that mine eat their weight in groceries each week, and heavy up my load considerably when they decide to join the parents for a camping weekend.

Not to necessarily say don't do it, but be careful! And expect that you will probably be looking for a different tow vehicle soon enough. Personally I seem to be on a treadmill of bigger trailer, bigger tow vehicle, bigger trailer... The good news for me is I've now gotten it straightened out and buy the bigger tow vehicle before I get the bigger trailer.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

With the numbers you've provided I think you'd be overloaded (both payload and towing). If you take a second vehicle and load the cargo (and people) there it'd make for a better (safer) experience.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #7

Thank you for the advice! It does seem tight and closer than we want to be. The sellers have been pulling it with a GMC Envoy for the past 5 years without issue and that is roughly the same specs as the Acadia. So that's why I'm so torn. They have a good weight distribution hitch and sway bar we will get in the purchase (were outfitted by an RV dealer to get everything right) and we are getting a good electric brake controller installed at a GMC dealer this week. We definitely need to weigh it all though. I'm on the fence whether we go through with the purchase or scrap it and try to find something else. It took us a month to find this one though with the floor plan we want - has 3 bunks (we could get by with two), no slide outs, a bath with a tub, A queen bed that doesn't have to fold, electric awning and ample storage. All for well under value. We will definitely be upgrading to a larger vehicle in the next few years - we JUST got the Acadia last year though...before we knew there would be a baby #3 so don't really want to go through the hassle of trading it in so soon. Plus it is great for every other need we have and camping is a handful of weekends 5 months out of the year (MN).

Any other suggestions on a different TT I should look for instead that has the above floor plan and features? Oh and we need to stick around $10-$12k which is what we are getting this 2011 for...
Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

The only floorplan I can see that is close to that one is the x213, It has the bunks and a king bed, rather than the queen. It saves you some weight too, but the king bed is on a slide. Have you considered any hybrids? None have bunks but they will save you lots of weight. The X18D has 3 pop-outs to fit your family. Anyway, good luck with your search!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #9

Thank you! We did look at the x213 and didn't love the slide out. Sounds like we may have to make some sacrifices though. Also looked at hybrids/pop ups and with such little ones really need something we can set up and take down fairly quickly. Also we have both had some bad experiences with pop ups (brother rolling out and mold issues) and with young my kiddos who suffer from restricted airways and asthma just don't feel they would be the right fit. I think I did see another non slide out Jayco that is under 4,000 lbs but we were looking to buy used not new and I'm not finding it used anywhere...
Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatwood View Post
Thank you! We did look at the x213 and didn't love the slide out. Sounds like we may have to make some sacrifices though. Also looked at hybrids/pop ups and with such little ones really need something we can set up and take down fairly quickly. Also we have both had some bad experiences with pop ups (brother rolling out and mold issues) and with young my kiddos who suffer from restricted airways and asthma just don't feel they would be the right fit. I think I did see another non slide out Jayco that is under 4,000 lbs but we were looking to buy used not new and I'm not finding it used anywhere...
You might want to try RVtrader.com or RVT.com to see what's available in used TTs.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #11

I wouldn't worry about being 600 to 1k pounds over. These specs are always well under the design limits for safety reasons and rightfully so. Other than being a little sluggish on your inclines, 600 pounds over will feel no different than being 600 pounds under.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #12

Personally I like to be under the limits for having that excess room for when I do load it a touch too much with our personal junk.

Several lighter weight units can be had that have a queen in the front and bunks in the back. Search Bunkhouse models and Jayco has a neat series along with quite a few other manufacturers. Many entry level models can hit that 11k mark new in that lower price point.

Along with that, I found a "Surface Area" measurement that I know I exceed for my Grand Cherokee as a TV with my Starcraft. It does not seem that signifigant, but the surface area can affect overall towability from a wind resistance and getting pushed around on the freeway by winds.

Can you test tow it, and see what you think? If it even seems a bit sketch, consider that you still have to add 500lbs of personal stuff and water.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
The sellers have been pulling it with a GMC Envoy for the past 5 years without issue and that is roughly the same specs as the Acadia. So that's why I'm so torn. They have a good weight distribution hitch and sway bar we will get in the purchase (were outfitted by an RV dealer to get everything right) and we are getting a good electric brake controller installed at a GMC dealer this week.
Comparing an Envoy to an Acadia is apples to oranges. The Envoy is a full framed RWD truck, the Acadia is a FWD car based SUV. The Envoy was available with 2 engines, 5.3 V8, and 4.2 I6 (Inline 6), the I6 specifically designed for trucks. The Acadia has 3.6 V6 car engine. Maybe their Envoy has a V8?

I towed the X20E in my sig with a Trailblazer, I6 for one season. The X20E has a GVWR of 4750#, far lighter than the trailer you are looking at. It was OK, but not great. The TB had 160k on it so I decided to get something bigger. What an amazing difference! Having the right trailer/TV combo can make your experience a pleasure.

You need WDH and brake controller no matter what, that won't make the Acadia more capable,

The "dry weight" of the trailer is listed as 4,445#. That does not include installed options. Things like AC and the awning are options. Likely that trailer weighs closer to 4800# as shipped. Put your "stuff" in it and you'll be well over 5000#, probably closer to 5500# when you are ready to camp.

Quote:
Thank you! We did look at the x213 and didn't love the slide out. Sounds like we may have to make some sacrifices though. Also looked at hybrids/pop ups and with such little ones really need something we can set up and take down fairly quickly. Also we have both had some bad experiences with pop ups (brother rolling out and mold issues) and with young my kiddos who suffer from restricted airways and asthma just don't feel they would be the right fit.
A pop-up and a hybrid are very different animals. How you care for either determines if you have water and mold issues. Having owned a pop-up for 10 years ('93 -'03) and 2 hybrids over the past 13 years I can tell you that a hybrid is a piece of cake to setup and take down. We've never had mold or water in our trailers. With your Acadia you need to consider small hybrids as a serious option. Otherwise I suspect you'll be looking at 1/2 ton PUs next spring.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #14

I've been looking at specs comparing the Acadia to the Ridgeline ( which is what we have) both are essentially SUVs and not trucks.

Same general power and capacities.

Frankly I would not consider a unit as big as the one you are looking at. Our little 195 RB is as much as the Honda can handle at a GVWR or 3500 lbs.

The Honda was geared fine for mountain climbing but was running at over 4000 rpm on the interstates with a headwind .. That is a lot of work for a little truck looking SUV.

We have a payload rating of 1500 lbs and stayed around 900. The trailer sometimes had fullish tanks so was reaching its capacity.

My gut feeling is don't do it unless you are prepared to have an on road problem with all those kids.. And no one wants that.

I agree for now a hybrid is the best option.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #15

I seriously appreciate all of the honest advice and quick responses!! We need to decide whether we go forward with the purchase and trade in the Acadia or look for something under 4,000 lbs dry that the Acadia can pull. I know we would be fine to tow it home unloaded with the Acadia but we will need to do some quick decision making before heading out to camp.

Any thoughts on the best size camper for a family of 5? I am leaning toward trading in the Acadia vs going smaller in camper just due to the size of our family and how quickly the kids will grow...
Old 06-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
I seriously appreciate all of the honest advice and quick responses!! We need to decide whether we go forward with the purchase and trade in the Acadia or look for something under 4,000 lbs dry that the Acadia can pull. I know we would be fine to tow it home unloaded with the Acadia but we will need to do some quick decision making before heading out to camp.

Any thoughts on the best size camper for a family of 5? I am leaning toward trading in the Acadia vs going smaller in camper just due to the size of our family and how quickly the kids will grow...
If you can swing it, your approach of trading in the TV is good, especially if you plan to use the trailer a lot. With 3 kids who will be growing and taking up more space, a smaller RV to accommodate the Acadia is a temporary move at best. You will be safer, and you will arrive far more refreshed and ready to have fun if you use the right tow vehicle. What you saved on the trailer will be spent, no doubt, on the tow vehicle. But in the long run, that's what you'd end up doing anyway.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:

Your thinking is definitely in the right direction. It's not just about today but 3-5 years from now as well.

If you are open to hybrids you might want to look for models with 3 bunks. They are out there. Jayco has the X23f, but I think they made an x18 something with 3 bunks as well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpStation View Post
I wouldn't worry about being 600 to 1k pounds over. These specs are always well under the design limits for safety reasons and rightfully so. Other than being a little sluggish on your inclines, 600 pounds over will feel no different than being 600 pounds under.
I wouldn't listen to this personally, being over weight can and will void your insurance, and that is not something you want to piddle around with.

After reading everything and looking up the specs myself, i think you will be extremely close to your limits. Likely the acadia will tow it not too badly if you are within your limits, but you will be stressed out often that close to the limits.

I started towing my 16XRB with my ford freestar, and while it towed alright, it was definitely not happy at highway speeds. Then it finally happened, a day with a 40kph headwind... 35km/hr on the way home made for a not happy group of campers. So i found a super good deal on my Jeep, and it tows it like a dream.

Interesting fact, the Payload on my van is quite a bit (almost 300lbs) higher than my jeep, the lack of Torque and front drive made for a frustrating tow even within my limits.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #19

OP, I would give a call those guys

Towing Expertise | Introduction - Can-Am RV Centre

They are just experts who set up thousands of sedans / SUVs for towing. Andy Thomson is kind of people hero in the towing world. He is great guy and even when knowing that I will not drive to Canada to set up my car, he provided great feedback.

There is much more about the cars that make the towing stable than just payload... e.g. suspension, low center of gravity, short rear overhang, etc.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Your thinking is definitely in the right direction. It's not just about today but 3-5 years from now as well.

If you are open to hybrids you might want to look for models with 3 bunks. They are out there. Jayco has the X23f, but I think they made an x18 something with 3 bunks as well.
X18D - 2011 Specs 3,555 lb GTW, 440 lb DHW, 4,400 lb GVWR. (Same brochure as my X19H)
Good sized beds, but only 3. 3 kids would have 2 sharing. Mold and mildew is only a problem in leaky trailers, and hard sides can leak just as easily as hybrids and get moldy. You can get a lot more fresh air into a hybrid by opening bunk panels if there is an air quality issue.

Another good point made here about the surface area. The 23K sits about 9" taller than our 19H exposing a lot more trailer face to the wind. One thing I find is that I tow much easier with my kayaks mounted on the roof of the Traverse. I think that it streamlines the airflow around the trailer. Towing without them feels a lot more like towing a brick around.

I am surprised about the RPM mentioned for the Ridgeline. My Traverse generally turns under 3000 RPM on the interstate, unless climbing a very steep incline, but I do keep my speed to 60 or just under as that is all the TT tires are rated for. I've only had it shift down and turn 4500 climbing about a 7% grade.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23k, acadia, tow, towing capacity, towing limits