Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

Cargo Hitch

Were thinking about getting 2 electric bikes. Plan to put them on a bike rack on the 300# hitch on back of trailer.

The bikes will probably weight about 70# each. Just guestimating, we haven't picked them out yet. The rack, I'm guessing 50#

So about 200# on a 300# hitch, sounds good, but thinking of those things bouncing up and down the road for thousands of miles makes me wonder if those hitch welds will hold.

Also, I believe that the 300# number means the weight right at the ball. It seems that the rack and bike would put a lot more twisting leverage on the hitch than just a regular ball hitch.

What do you think?
Old 11-26-2023, 02:49 PM   #2

We hitch up a drop hitch and then a 60 lb e-bike rack carrying two ~55 lb e-bikes each (without battery) to out 5'er receiver. Very secure, no twisting or bouncing.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
We hitch up a drop hitch and then a 60 lb e-bike rack carrying two ~55 lb e-bikes each (without battery) to out 5'er receiver. Very secure, no twisting or bouncing.
Thank you.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #4

The spec given by Jayco on my trailer specifies it's at a 10" lever (I forget the exact wording about being from the pin or flange). If the center of gravity is 20" out then you have a 150# limit (twice the lever, half the force), if it's less than 10" then more than 300#. Double check the wording in your owners manual.

The 300# rating includes road bouncing, they couldn't expect you to know how much to derate for bounce any more than they could expect you to know how much to deflate tires to hit the inflation spec after heating (they don't, inflation spec is COLD before driving)
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:11 PM   #5

My trailer receiver has 300 lb tongue weight capacity. My Roadmaster tubular shank drop hitch #0707 has a 200 lb tongue weight capacity, which Roadmaster tech service confirmed already includes a derate. My Swagman E-Spec bike rack and two electric bikes without batteries weigh 171.2 lbs, which is < 200 lb tongue weight limit of the drop receiver. Roadmaster advised that if I wanted to increase the drop hitch tongue weight capacity to 300 lb limit of the trailer hitch then I can replace it with a sold shank drop hitch (rated for 400 lb).
Old 11-28-2023, 05:58 PM   #6

I am not clear about your intent and your particular arrangement. But if you are considering adding a bolt on receiver to your sewer hose tubing, there are some limitations and questionable successes on the hose tubing with one bolted in the center of it. Of course there are some campers with hitch setups that expands from one main frame to the other and the receiver hangs underneath of the sewer hose.

But if you purchase one of those, you need to make sure that the end plates will have enough room to bolt flat onto the frame. This link offers several examples
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...per_Hitch.aspx

Personally I created a flat platform for my e bikes, with yoke frames mounted securly onto the platform and added bolt on brackets at each side where the frames meets that sewer hose. Then the platform rests on them securely with one additional bracket in the middle as just a stiffener for the span.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight 23 View Post
I am not clear about your intent and your particular arrangement. But if you are considering adding a bolt on receiver to your sewer hose tubing, there are some limitations and questionable successes on the hose tubing with one bolted in the center of it. Of course there are some campers with hitch setups that expands from one main frame to the other and the receiver hangs underneath of the sewer hose.

But if you purchase one of those, you need to make sure that the end plates will have enough room to bolt flat onto the frame. This link offers several examples
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...per_Hitch.aspx

Personally I created a flat platform for my e bikes, with yoke frames mounted securly onto the platform and added bolt on brackets at each side where the frames meets that sewer hose. Then the platform rests on them securely with one additional bracket in the middle as just a stiffener for the span.
No, I was planning on using the trailer hitch that's already on the back of the trailer, with a bicycle rack.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:29 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, we finally ordered 2 Aventon Sinch.2 folding ebikes. 68# each.
Your responses helped, but I still haven't decided. I know how weak the trailer frame is, and how it bounces down the road like a diving board. Very leary of putting that much weight there.
I also looked at putting a hitch on the front of the truck, that kit would be much stronger and less bouncy. But it would cover my front camera for sure, (that's ok, I hardly use it.) And I'm pretty sure it would block my headlights, so that won't do. We travel a lot, and would be leaving the rack on most of the time.
So we're waiting for the bikes to come in, and going to fold them up and try to fit them in our crew cab back seat- out of the weather and bugs, out of sight of prying eyes.
Thanks again, I'll let you know what we do.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:13 AM   #9

I had a Heartland Bighorn which came with a factory installed trailer hitch. It was bolted to the frame. I took my 5th wheel to a local welding shop and had two pieces of angle iron welded from the frame out to just behind the receiver on the hitch. Before the reinforcement, if I stood on my cargo basket and bounced, it was the hitch that was bouncing. After I had the reinforcements added, the basket barely moved and that was caused by the 5th wheel suspension. I highly recommend you reinforce your trailer hitch attachment to the RV. E-bikes are heavy and as has been mentioned, there is a lot of leverage involved when you add heavier weights to a bike rack. I would also HIGHLY recommend that you purchase an E-bike specific bike rack.
1975 Triumph TR6-in progress
"For evil to triumph, good people need do Nothing!"
dwaynebmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #10

make sure the bike rack is rated for a trailer as well

When we bought an e bike and rack for my wife, we mentioned putting it on the 5th wheel. The salesman told us that the carrier/rack was not approved to go on a trailer, only cars and that there were only a couple brands of bike carrier that were rated to hold bikes on the back of a trailer. Another consideration. We didn't pursue it.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #11

What bike racks do you all use for your ebikes?
Craig Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:44 PM   #12

Since I don't have a receiver at the back of my trailer I got one of these:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...URT/E-100.html

I already have a Thule 2 bike rack that mounts to a 2" receiver so, this is perfect for me. I would guess that the Thule and two conventional bikes are no more than 75 pounds.

I think you will be fine with your set up.
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bennett View Post
What bike racks do you all use for your ebikes?
We use the Swagman Escapee, itís both E-Bike and RV rated. Itís a beast of a rack and very solid. We have over 12,000 miles using ours and have not had any problems.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #14

When considering mounting a receiver on the front of the Fords, check and see what type of air dam you have under the bumper before ordering one. Not knowing your year or model, you may not be able to mount one.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight 23 View Post
When considering mounting a receiver on the front of the Fords, check and see what type of air dam you have under the bumper before ordering one. Not knowing your year or model, you may not be able to mount one.
I saw a video installing one on our F250. We would have to notch the plastic air dam, about an inch. We're still going to try to put them in the back seat of the truck. if they don't fit, front hitch looks like our best option.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:29 PM   #16

I wouldn't want my bikes mounted in the front. First of all, visibility and secondly, most ebikes are not rated for rain saturation. If your bike is on the front, it will be pounded by the rain and possibly damage the electronics. I would go for something like this and reinforce my hitch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B48...d_asin_1_title
1975 Triumph TR6-in progress
"For evil to triumph, good people need do Nothing!"
dwaynebmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:51 AM   #17

Look into etrailer's options. They had good prices and a call to them got us the right size for our bikes.
Squarepeg is offline   Reply With Quote