Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #11

Choice of WDH

Oops double post

SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #12

I love my Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH. Since I offered it as part of the sale on my current trailer, I will be buying a new one rated for the new trailer when it comes...

SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #13

I'm with Rustic Eagle. I use a Reese Dual cam and have had good performance from it. It does take little bit of work to get it dialed in due to several things that can be adjusted. Once set up using it is easy...easy to hitch and un-hitch.

My experieince is limited to the Reese because I never had to use a WDH in the past.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #14

x2 on the Andersen.

We just got ours in Sep 2015 and have put about 6500 miles on it. I have never had the bar style WDH so can't compare, but can state that the Andersen is lightweight (50-60 lbs total) and once you get the routine down, it is quick and easy to couple/uncouple. It is rated to 1400lbs tongue weight so would be fine with OP's trailer (our trailer GVWR is 7000lbs). It was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the Equalizer in CDN$.

On the customer service side, our last trip which started in early February was to escape the cold (it was about -15C/5F the day we left). On the trip south from Toronto to Daytona, the hitch was louder (creaking and groaning) than usual when turning, but was working normally (no sway). I sent Andersen an email when I got to Daytona outlining the issue and explained that I was on the road and didn't have a full tool set with me. They replied within a few hours and had a replacement ball assembly couriered to our next location as we were changing campgrounds the next day. They advised that the friction material can sometimes be contaminated by salt and dirt, and I am sure that the temperature change helped things along (my guess is the cold allowed the ball to seat a little deeper in the hitch head, and then as it warmed up again, it put more pressure on the friction material).

As for handling sway, our extreme was when we left north Texas (Amarillo) in mid-March and there were winds that were 40mph steady with 60mph gusts and we are using a Ram 1500 as the TV with a 26BH. We could feel it when the wind blew hard, but I always felt in control, and the TV and TT felt and moved as one.

Hope that helps...
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #15

As far as price for the 3 I listed, they're all pretty close. Definitely close enough for the difference to be irrelevant IMO.

So far, so good. Seems to be a lot of support for the Blue Ox Sway Pro (which is my current favorite today for ease of setup). And Made in USA is important to me.

One thing that concerns me about the Reese SL is the finicky setup. I've heard and read that once you get it dialed in, it's a GREAT hitch, but getting it dialed in can be tricky. It is also a bit more expensive than the other 3 contenders I mentioned.

I should mention that I'm not about drilling into my frame to mount a hitch. The three I listed have clamp-on style spring bar hangers available and provide a no-drill installation.

As far as the Anderson goes, it's likely a no go for me. My tongue weights are on the high end of what the hitch is rated for, and from what I've read from users, it doesn't do well with the higher tongue weights. For the lower tongue weights though, I've heard many good things about the system, and it has many significant advantages.

Sorry OP, I kind of hijacked your thread, but I'm in the same spot you are.

Keep the input coming!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #16

Not exactly the same spot, he only has to worry about a 6250lb GVWR trailer vs yours at 9250lbs.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post

Not exactly the same spot, he only has to worry about a 6250lb GVWR trailer vs yours at 9250lbs.
Truth.

I'm hoping much of the input will transfer though...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #18

Recently a JOF member sent me a PM asking my opinion of my hitch. This topic seems like a good place to post it publicly:

The Equal-i-zer brand is the only WDH I have ever used. I bought it online and installed it myself. I delivered trailers for Jayco for about 3 years and estimate I've towed about 100,000 mi with it and I'm still using it with our 27RLS. I towed everything from Jay Feathers to Jay Flight Park Models (I'm sure the weight bars were too heavy for some and too light for others for many of the deliveries I made). I also towed in winds where I had no business being on the road.

Never, not even one time, did any trailer have any tendency to sway. Can I feel it when a semi passes? Yes. Is there sway? No.

I always have my TV and TT tires 'aired up' to the maximum shown on the tire sidewalls; except my TV fronts. Those are 5psi below the maximum.

I had my hitch head raised for my 27RLS at a hitch shop and they said my 4-point was one of the old designs; whatever that means. I am totally happy with the hitch. If I ever need to replace it, I'll buy another 4-point hitch Equal-i-zer brand.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Recently a JOF member sent me a PM asking my opinion of my hitch. This topic seems like a good place to post it publicly:

The Equal-i-zer brand is the only WDH I have ever used. I bought it online and installed it myself. I delivered trailers for Jayco for about 3 years and estimate I've towed about 100,000 mi with it and I'm still using it with our 27RLS. I towed everything from Jay Feathers to Jay Flight Park Models (I'm sure the weight bars were too heavy for some and too light for others for many of the deliveries I made). I also towed in winds where I had no business being on the road.

Never, not even one time, did any trailer have any tendency to sway. Can I feel it when a semi passes? Yes. Is there sway? No.

I always have my TV and TT tires 'aired up' to the maximum shown on the tire sidewalls; except my TV fronts. Those are 5psi below the maximum.

I had my hitch head raised for my 27RLS at a hitch shop and they said my 4-point was one of the old designs; whatever that means. I am totally happy with the hitch. If I ever need to replace it, I'll buy another 4-point hitch Equal-i-zer brand.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
X2 for the Equalizer. This is the only hitch we've ever owned, mainly because it's what the dealer threw in the deal, and installed for us. It's easy to hook up, the DW works the electric jack, and I push the bars in and pin them. I'm sure there are other great brands out there, and every one has their preference. That's what makes this forum so much fun.

JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote