Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Choosing a WDH

We've had smaller trailers in the past, and never needed to add a WDH, so I'm seeking the benefit of experience, from those who may have trod this path before me..

I've done the homework, and I believe I understand how they work, and how to install and set up, but I'm looking for advice on good and bad brands to look at,

Our nose weight is between 400 and 500 pounds, so that narrows the choice a little, but... what should I be looking at?

Round or trunnion bars?
Which are easy/hard to install and hook up?
Any particular manufacturers to look for/avoid?

What else do I need to know, that I don't know about yet ?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any recommendations - or horror stories.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Site Team

There are lots of great hitches out there and I'm sure that many will comment on their particular choice. I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the Anderson WD hitch. I've been using one for over a year on my 22BHM and I am extremely impressed. It is easy to install, is light weight, doesn't require grease on the ball, easy to adjust, and is very simple to hook/unhook. Beyond that, it provides an extremely stable towing experience.

One of the arguments that you will hear against the Anderson is that it doesn't have the ability to move enough weight forward to the front axle on extremely high tongue weight trailers. But, I can tell you from experience that it works very well in the small to medium size trailer segment, mine is at 800# tongue weight and I have no issue getting things adjusted well.

Check it out and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
BCK

Lots of options but make sure you pick the right style bars in round vs trunion.

Trunion are generally for when the hitch coupler on the trailer frame is welded to the bottom side of the frame and round bar when the hitch coupler is on the top side of the frame.

I can't tell you how many times I have see round bars on underslung hitch couplers and the owner struggling to try and get the chains on their bars to reach on the last link. Makes it really entertaining when when the trailer has a 6" frame.

The other place for trunion bars are when there is low ground clearance and you need a few more inches.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

I'll second Midnightmoon on the Andersen No-Sway hitch. My tongue weight is right in the same range as yours - usually around 425-450 - and the Andersen does a great job. It's lightweight at ~60lbs total, clean and quiet. Even the DW can hook it up without any trouble.

Sway control is excellent as well - no trouble even in stronger gusty winds or from passing trucks at freeway speeds. I have close to 20K miles with it over the last 4 seasons and am very pleased with it's performance.

Andersen also has great customer service. The one issue we had with it - the friction cone was from a bad batch that had some metal flakes in it that caused it to be noisy and freeze up at times. They overnighted replacement friction cone no charge.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #5

X3 on the suggestion to look at the Andersen WDH. Works great for small to medium size trailers with tongue weights up to 600-700 lbs, great customer service. The ball and head assembly is lighter weight than other WDH brands and you don't get any grease on you.

One thing, if you order one make sure to get the latest design of the triangular plate. The latest design has more forgiveness of not having the plate perpendicular with the ball and head assembly when trying to hook up.
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
X3 on the suggestion to look at the Andersen WDH. Works great for small to medium size trailers with tongue weights up to 600-700 lbs, great customer service. The ball and head assembly is lighter weight than other WDH brands and you don't get any grease on you.

One thing, if you order one make sure to get the latest design of the triangular plate. The latest design has more forgiveness of not having the plate perpendicular with the ball and head assembly when trying to hook up.
I’m still learning, but we went with the Andersen and have really liked it. Making sure you are pretty well perpendicular when hitching and unhitching has been the only drawback, but only a minimal one.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

I’d never say anything negative about Anderson because I have no personal experience with it and so many speak so highly of it but I am very happy with my Reese Dual Cam HP hitch. It gives me rock solid no sway towing. It is worth a look, also.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I’m still learning, but we went with the Andersen and have really liked it. Making sure you are pretty well perpendicular when hitching and unhitching has been the only drawback, but only a minimal one.
Little trick I've found. If you end up out of line, raise the truck/tow vehicle with the trailer tongue jack like you are going to release the tension to attach or release the chains. If you go far enough, the ball will pop slightly out of the friction cone. At that point, you will be able to move the triangle plate by hand. After you get it lined up, simply drop the jack back down. The tongue weight will pop the ball right back in to the friction cone and you will be ready to go.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Thanks Midnightmoon! I’ve also watched the Andersen videos () and hooked one side and pulled forward to straighten. I like your idea tho.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

had my Andersen for 2 years and love it. Had two different bar type hitches and hated levering them on tight. Always was afraid they would get away on me and break my arm.

If you back in crooked there is a small problem. I usually have enough slack using my power tongue jack to connect anyway. If not, loosen one of the nuts on the red pucks.

Much lighter !!, easier on and off!, had a problem with my cone, they sent me out a free one with all instuctions and helped me on phone.

Go Andersen!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote