Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Choosing the Correct Hitch

I've ordered a 2012 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL and the dealer is planning to install the following hitch -

Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW model 90-00-1000

The TT specs are -

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,425
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 635
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,075
Measurements
Exterior Length 30' 11"
Exterior Height w/ AC 128"

Is this a good choice for hitch and sway control equipment? If not, which manufacturer & model would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Looks like a good fit to me!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
snip..... Is this a good choice for hitch and sway control equipment? If not, which manufacturer & model would you recommend? .....snip
Thinking out loud here ..........; A 13% to 15% (of TT weight) loaded tongue weight for a 31ft long TT would be ideal. So, under a worse case scenario with the TT loaded to it's GVWR of 7,500lbs, that puts the ideal loaded tongue weight in a range of 975lbs to 1,125lbs.

IMO the Equal-i-zer model you identified should be just fine.., but should you tow at the TT's GVWR, watch your tongue weight. The 27DSRL has an adequate CCC, so IMO most wouldn't be towing at the TT's GVWR.

I think the Equal-i-zer product and Reese HP Dual Cam product are both great WDH's each with integrated sway control. One of the reasons I like the Reese product is that different rated spring bars can be used with the WDH, where the Equal-i-zer you have to purchase a whole new WDH if one wants to change the spring bar rating.

With any brand WDH, proper mounting and adjustment is key to optimum towing performance. Remember that you will be departing the RV dealer's lot under "unloaded" conditions..., the WDH will in most cases have to be re-adjusted once you have established your "loaded" TV/TT conditions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

That hitch system should work.

If you find it inadequate due to sway or stability, look at ProPride or Hensley Arrow hitches. Either will eliminate any sway issues.

They do cost more, so try your current set-up first.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Since others have commented on the hitch itself, I just want to caution you to also look at the tow ratings on your truck and confirm you are good to go. You're probably fine but don't expect the RV dealer to tell you you're not (even if you are not).

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Since others have commented on the hitch itself, I just want to caution you to also look at the tow ratings on your truck and confirm you are good to go. You're probably fine but don't expect the RV dealer to tell you you're not (even if you are not).
truck specs -

2012 Silverado 1500 2WD EXT CAB LT (standard box)
VORTEC 5.3L V8
6-speed AT
locking rear diff
trailering package
heavy duty cooling
Z71 off road suspension
high capacity air cleaner
integrated trailer brake controller
18' aluminum wheels
on/off road tires
GVWR 6800 lbs
rear axle 3.42 ratio

CAT Scale weight with full fuel 5240 lbs

GCWR 15000 lbs
max trailer weight 9700 lbs
max tongue weight 1100 lbs
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #7

It's great to see you're on top of that stuff, mrnoyb. I feel better. :hihi:

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Thinking out loud here ..........; A 13% to 15% (of TT weight) loaded tongue weight for a 31ft long TT would be ideal. So, under a worse case scenario with the TT loaded to it's GVWR of 7,500lbs, that puts the ideal loaded tongue weight in a range of 975lbs to 1,125lbs.

IMO the Equal-i-zer model you identified should be just fine.., but should you tow at the TT's GVWR, watch your tongue weight. The 27DSRL has an adequate CCC, so IMO most wouldn't be towing at the TT's GVWR.

I think the Equal-i-zer product and Reese HP Dual Cam product are both great WDH's each with integrated sway control. One of the reasons I like the Reese product is that different rated spring bars can be used with the WDH, where the Equal-i-zer you have to purchase a whole new WDH if one wants to change the spring bar rating.
With any brand WDH, proper mounting and adjustment is key to optimum towing performance. Remember that you will be departing the RV dealer's lot under "unloaded" conditions..., the WDH will in most cases have to be re-adjusted once you have established your "loaded" TV/TT conditions.

Bob
I had a Jayco 19H and am picking up a Whitehawk DSBH today. We have #6000 bars right now and they are giving us #10000 bars when they set us up at pick up. The sales guy swears up and down he is 100% sure that the ball/shank "bar socket" piece is the same for both. Since the 6k lb bars are 1 1/4" thick and fit "fairly snug" in the bar reciever, he explained that the 10k lb bars at 1 3/8" are tapered at the end to fit in the same slot. So they are not going to replace the bar reciever. Does this sound right?

thanks.
rkanrkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkanrkan View Post
I had a Jayco 19H and am picking up a Whitehawk DSBH today. We have #6000 bars right now and they are giving us #10000 bars when they set us up at pick up. The sales guy swears up and down he is 100% sure that the ball/shank "bar socket" piece is the same for both. Since the 6k lb bars are 1 1/4" thick and fit "fairly snug" in the bar reciever, he explained that the 10k lb bars at 1 3/8" are tapered at the end to fit in the same slot. So they are not going to replace the bar reciever. Does this sound right?

thanks.
***Update***

Called Equal-i-zer and answered my own question. Between the #6000 and #10000 lb kits the only things reusable are the shank and the L brackets that support the ends of the bars.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #10

Just returned from picking up the new TT in Middlebury, IN. 2000 miles in tow using the EQ WD hitch with SC. I'm a believer. Encountered 30 mph winds across I-40 from OKC to ABQ. All went well. Very stable ride.

The disconnect/connect process takes a little getting used to. I'm sure this will smooth out with practice.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Just returned from picking up the new TT in Middlebury, IN. 2000 miles in tow using the EQ WD hitch with SC. I'm a believer. Encountered 30 mph winds across I-40 from OKC to ABQ. All went well. Very stable ride.

The disconnect/connect process takes a little getting used to. I'm sure this will smooth out with practice.
Did they lube up the pivot points of your hitch head?
My first 6000 lb Equal-i-zer was not lubed at all. (or at least not noticable) So I asked about lubing and was told it does not need it because "the friction in the head is part of the anti sway process". But my most recent 10000 lb Equal-i-zer came red greased like crazy on all the pivot points and the ball.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:

Your rig looks good! I love my Equal-i-zer. Am using my second one, as had to upgrade to a heavier model due to a heavier TT upgrade.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #13

Is it normal for them to rust on the bracket where the bars lay, if its been sitting for a couple of weeks?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
Is it normal for them to rust on the bracket where the bars lay, if its been sitting for a couple of weeks?
YUP. Once that paint gets rubbed away from the steel (?) it gets a little rusty. Was not bad on ours after a year and a half outside.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkanrkan View Post
Did they lube up the pivot points of your hitch head?
No grease. I asked and the tech said they don't grease new hitches. The only components greased as part of normal maintenance are the friction surfaces of the hitch head and sockets. I'll also lubricate the hitch & socket pins. I'm using white lithium grease.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
I don't know if it oxidizes that quick but normal maintenance does list painting exposed surfaces from time to time.