Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #31

The Hensley Arrow hitch needs the tires to have good traction to the road for it to works it's magic. If you're on icy and slippery roads in a strong cross wind, it won't help you as much as you would think. A very good hitch to be sure, but there are limits. If you're worried about costs, a used HA is worth hunting for. They can be had for a lesser price.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
Choosing the right size WD and Sway Hitch

Hensley introduced the lighter Hensley Cub model hitch system for light weight trailers recently.
The introductory price was around $1500.00. A fantastic price. I understand there is a Skylark out there with a Cub installation already... Apparently that Skylark in comparison to trailering before and after installation now has very superior handling as I was told.
FYI
Ron

Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #33

A slightly cheaper option than the Hensley is the Propride 3P. I bought one last year and towing is now completely different. I find the truck drives better towing with the Propride than it does empty. Side winds and tractor trailers are absolutely NO issues now.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
A slightly cheaper option than the Hensley is the Propride 3P. I bought one last year and towing is now completely different. I find the truck drives better towing with the Propride than it does empty. Side winds and tractor trailers are absolutely NO issues now.
I told DW I needed the budget cleared to buy one of these. I almost got to stay in the trailer by myself for a couple nights!

Some day (hopefully sooner rather than later) I will convince her this is what we need...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #35

Camper Bob, I told my wife yesterday that we would go with the Equal-I-Zer....but that if I find the back end swaying too much, that I'll be ordering a ProPride 3P....

The Equal will cost me around 900$ and the ProPride is 3000$
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa03 View Post
Camper Bob, I told my wife yesterday that we would go with the Equal-I-Zer....but that if I find the back end swaying too much, that I'll be ordering a ProPride 3P....

The Equal will cost me around 900$ and the ProPride is 3000$
Yeah, if my setup were just a little worse, I would push harder for the Equalizer, or even just say eff-it and get the HA or ProPride. But as it is, there's nothing wrong with what I have, it's just not quite as optimal as I would like. I still do fine with the wind and the big rigs, so it's okay for now...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yeah, if my setup were just a little worse, I would push harder for the Equalizer, or even just say eff-it and get the HA or ProPride. But as it is, there's nothing wrong with what I have, it's just not quite as optimal as I would like. I still do fine with the wind and the big rigs, so it's okay for now...
Wait until you are white knuckling it at 30 mph and the wife feels like she has a great chance to see you, her, the truck and camper spread across the ditch because of wind…the budget all of a sudden opens up! All we had to do is travel 130 miles in 40 - 50 mph side gusts with me telling the wife we NEEDED a better hitch…she asked how soon I could have it at the house! Cost didn't matter when she felt like there was a pretty good chance we were going to wreck at any moment!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Wait until you are white knuckling it at 30 mph and the wife feels like she has a great chance to see you, her, the truck and camper spread across the ditch because of wind…the budget all of a sudden opens up! All we had to do is travel 130 miles in 40 - 50 mph side gusts with me telling the wife we NEEDED a better hitch…she asked how soon I could have it at the house! Cost didn't matter when she felt like there was a pretty good chance we were going to wreck at any moment!
40-50 mph winds? Yeah, I would just stop. Hitch or no hitch, I'm not driving through that!

Truth be told, I could use another little white lie and tell her that it's actually really dangerous (it's not) and that I'm not willing to risk her safety. I know LOTS of little tricks to "open up the budget", and I'm not afraid to use them when I need to. I could just put it on the credit card with the air miles (we'll need to fly somewhere at some point ). One of those times where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. In our world though, $2500-3000 is more forgiveness than I think she's capable of, but I might be able to get away with an Equalizer or a Reese at less than $600 without the threat of divorce. Either way, it's probably better to just use part of my bonus this year...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE