Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #1

Cool Confused newbie, can I tow it?

Hello,

I own a 2009 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 short box and want to get a travel trailer (had baby, wife says no more tenting).

I've been looking at various models and the one that seems to always catch my eye is the 26BH. I found a 2011 that I'd like to buy but I'm concerned that my truck can't safely pull it.

I've been doing a lot of research and using a few calculators/worksheets to calculate maximum towing capacity and tongue weight/payload but it is all very confusing. I feel like the trailer weight is fine but the tongue weight plus the weight of passengers will be over the payload rating.

Some stats:
TV: 2009 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 short box, 3.55 Gear Ratio, 18" wheels
TV GVWR: 7200 lbs
TV Payload: 1400 lbs
TV Weight via weigh station today (half tank of gas, myself (215 lbs)) the truck weighed 6084 lbs. Would be travelling with wife and daughter.

TT Dry Weight: 4892 lbs (dry weight from factory including full propane tanks as per yellow GVWR sticker on door)
TT GVWR: 7500 lbs

We anticipate travelling without water, but estimating 1000 lbs for cargo in the trailer.

I feel comfortable with the trailer weight being fine but my calculations show the payload being a little over 1400 lbs. Am I calculating things correctly? With the weight distributing hitch, would it reduce the tongue weight so that the payload is acceptable?

Any advice you can offer is much appreciated.

Happy trails!

hizenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #2

If you weighed the truck and it was 6084lbs with just you then you don't have 1400lbs for payload. Your GVW is 7200lbs - 6084lbs plus your wife and child. That's only 1116lbs before you add the wife and child.

1000lbs is a good start for figuring cargo. Figure 6000lbs for the TT and @ 12% for TW that's 720lbs. 1116lbs - 720lbs = 396lbs left for the wife and child plus whatever else you put in the truck.

Close IMO, but still doable.

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #3

I am just a babystep ahead of you as we just ordered our first TT. Tongue weight stays the same regardless of a weight distribution hitch. Nice folks at Equal-i-zer told me this. Figure 10-15% trailer weight into your payload. Hitch only helps put weight back where it came from (i.e.front axle weight that lifted up when hooking up trailer) but does not reduce tongue weight if that makes sense.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #4

Right, weight distributing hitches do not reduce the tongue weight, it distributes / balances the tongue weight between the rear axle and front so the rear axle is not supporting all the tongue weight by itself and taking weight off the front axle.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #5

You did not state your GCWR. That would help. I found this towing guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...9RVTTguide.pdf

Because you have 18" wheels, footnote #1 says to back off max towing weight by 500 lbs. On the chart on page 17 in the link above, there is no line for a SuperCrew having 3.55 with 7200 GVWR. There is with a 3.31.

Hopefully, the link will provide the answers you need.

And here are some towing calculators.

RV Tow Check | Towing Guide Eliminator

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

You're fine.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
If you weighed the truck and it was 6084lbs with just you then you don't have 1400lbs for payload. Your GVW is 7200lbs - 6084lbs plus your wife and child. That's only 1116lbs before you add the wife and child.

1000lbs is a good start for figuring cargo. Figure 6000lbs for the TT and @ 12% for TW that's 720lbs. 1116lbs - 720lbs = 396lbs left for the wife and child plus whatever else you put in the truck.

Close IMO, but still doable.
Do you have a Cap on the PU bed? That would easily account for the discrepancy.

I agree, this is doable, it's very unlikely that you will fill that trailer to it's GVWR.

That said, not that I would discourage you from buying a trailer, but why would your wife say no more tenting? We took our daughter tenting when she was about 1 and up until she was about 8. Then we got a pop-up. It instilled in her a love for the outdoors and camping in general. She's 30 now and both her and her husband love tenting.

Here's a thought, keep your tent, and when your child gets to be about 5, take him/her tenting at least once a year for a weekend so they get that side of life too!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Here's a thought, keep your tent, and when your child gets to be about 5, take him/her tenting at least once a year for a weekend so they get that side of life too!
Off topic, but I'm keeping my tent and my frame pack for exactly this reason. I want my son to experience the other side of camping.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

After camping with 3 boys, one in diapers at some point. I can understand the wifes "no tents" logic. All my kids are now grown and have no desire to be outdoorsy. Yes they still go camping in tents, but they aren't into anything pertaining to the outdoors, like hiking, fishing, etc. They're into water skiing or swimming. I guess those early tenting days didn't have any impact. I can totally relate to any young family wanting a trailer for camping. Especially if they camp in CG's without showers. We do a family camp every year and a couple years ago we camped at a showerless CG. We ended up letting one of our sons kids take quick showers in our TT. If they could afford it they would all have TT's.

To the OP find the right TT and get out there and camp. Your daughter will have just as much fun in a trailer as she would in a tent. Especially when it starts to rain.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebring96hbg View Post
You did not state your GCWR. That would help. I found this towing guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...9RVTTguide.pdf

Because you have 18" wheels, footnote #1 says to back off max towing weight by 500 lbs. On the chart on page 17 in the link above, there is no line for a SuperCrew having 3.55 with 7200 GVWR. There is with a 3.31.

Hopefully, the link will provide the answers you need.

And here are some towing calculators.

RV Tow Check | Towing Guide Eliminator

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Thanks, I have used both of those calculators. The changing gears one says nogo using 15% tongue weight. I don't have the hitch yet but if I get one rated for 10k should be fine.

I have looked at that Ford towing guide you linked. The GCWR is 15,000 according to the chart (15,500 - 500 for 18" wheels). The dash just means same as above, so for 7200 GVWR for 3.55. The sticker on the door of the truck says 7200 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Do you have a Cap on the PU bed? That would easily account for the discrepancy.

I agree, this is doable, it's very unlikely that you will fill that trailer to it's GVWR.

That said, not that I would discourage you from buying a trailer, but why would your wife say no more tenting? We took our daughter tenting when she was about 1 and up until she was about 8. Then we got a pop-up. It instilled in her a love for the outdoors and camping in general. She's 30 now and both her and her husband love tenting.

I do have a folding tonneau cover. Our tent was old but we took our daughter out when she was 5 months...it went okay but so nice to have convenience of trailer when she needs to nap and it's 30 degrees out or when it's rainy and damp/cold in the night. We ended up tossing it instead of packing it up . We had only a small car and it was packed up so full...I'm sure it'd be better now that we have a truck.

Thanks for all of your input, everyone!

hizenberg is offline   Reply With Quote