Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
. . . Lastly, after fueling up we always get a receipt. Without a receipt it's much harder to prove liability in situations like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I always pay with a credit card so the transaction is recorded by CC company.
We always pay with a credit card, too.

However, in many cases the credit card company has no paper/digital trail that shows exactly what you purchased. The credit card company may provide a date, general category of purchase, but not much more. Also, rather doubt the retailer would be all that enthusiastic about delving into their sales records (after-the-fact) to help your cause.

A hard copy receipt (acquired at the time of purchase) typically identifies the retailer, exact time/date of purchase, plus the number of gallons and type of fuel purchased. Extremely critical info which can quickly establish liability all by itself---something the credit card company and the retailer may be unable (or reluctant) to do after-the-fact.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #22

I always paid with a debit card. Kept the receipt in the center console.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #23

SC Dept of Agriculture went out and tested the pump and shut it down. The report they provided said it contained water and/or sediment. So I have the report, receipt, and sample from the filter. Called the owner of the gas station and he said to send him some invoices and we would "work something out" and that he would "help me" pay for it. Did not really like that answer so insurance is covering it under comprehensive coverage. That way I am not trying to "work" with the owner which is 4 hours away.

Decided to take this opportunity to install a 60 gallon Titan XXL tank though...
Attached Thumbnails
gas tank.jpg  

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #24

This is why you ALWAYS keep the receipt makes it much easier to prove you got fuel there
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
SC Dept of Agriculture went out and tested the pump and shut it down. The report they provided said it contained water and/or sediment. So I have the report, receipt, and sample from the filter. Called the owner of the gas station and he said to send him some invoices and we would "work something out" and that he would "help me" pay for it. Did not really like that answer so insurance is covering it under comprehensive coverage. That way I am not trying to "work" with the owner which is 4 hours away.

Decided to take this opportunity to install a 60 gallon Titan XXL tank though...
I'd say you have an ironclad case with all that evidence!

Don't blame you for letting your insurance company handle it. It could be a while before you saw any money. IMO, the gas station owner's response was actually somewhat encouraging. It wouldn't be in his best interest to commit to anything specific over the phone. Regardless, many will just totally ignore you. They know many folks (especially those not aware of their legal options) will just give-up in frustration. For those that don't give up, they usually offer to pay in-full the day before a court date (to save additional legal fees)---knowing they had everything to gain and nothing to lose by doing so.

Congrats on that Titan tank---gonna be nice on those long trips!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #26

What town? Going through SC from Charlotte, NC to Savannah, GA soon.
Dvallez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
Be carefull out there with your fuel folks.... Got some bad fuel in South Carolina yesterday. Looks like the Cummins will be getting new injectors $$$$ and the lines and tank flushed out. Yes and of course a new fuel filter to...

Good thing I don't have a trip planned for a couple weeks since all the diesel guys are a couple weeks from being able to get to it. Got to get everything all documented properly so I can go after the gas station.. Anybody got any pointers for that process?

This is what I drained from the filter...
If you can get the receipt from the station, and if it does a lot of damage you have 2 choices go after the station, and they should have records of the fuel dump. Or turn it into your insurance if you have comprehensive on your insurance that should cover it; it did mine because I had damage. All lines replaced, high pressure pump on engine, along with all the injectors. I also drain my first fuel filter one or twice a week depending on fill ups. And when it’s time for an oil change both fuel filters are changed. JJK
JKnox8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #28

I always buy from the busiest fuel stop that I see. Never buy when a transport is unloading.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #29

Pardon my ignorance, but water in the filter does not necessarily mean in the engine or injector damage, esp. if you have the visual water separator and drain the water when water is evidenced? and water in the engine is the fault of the operator and/or maintenance practices? But I could be wrong?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #30

When traveling I only purchase fuel at major truck stops. Had an OTR trucker warn me early on about diesel at the various local gas stations. Have had good luck following his advice so far but nothing is fool proof.
kdhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #31

Gas Stations

NEVER EVER, purchase fuel from a station or truck stop with a TANKER filling up THEIR underground tanks!!!

If you see a tanker at a gas station, KEEP MOVING!

All of the contaminates, condensation, dirt, crap, etc. gets thoroughly mixed up and sent straight to your pump.

worst case, go have lunch or a nap for a couple of hours, then fill up.

Sorry for the rant, just speaking from experience.
aa7gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa7gs View Post
never ever, purchase fuel from a station or truck stop with a tanker filling up their underground tanks!!!

If you see a tanker at a gas station, keep moving!

All of the contaminates, condensation, dirt, crap, etc. Gets thoroughly mixed up and sent straight to your pump.

Worst case, go have lunch or a nap for a couple of hours, then fill up.

^ this
Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #33

Read within past week/ so about a gasoline recall from Costco in (some state?) where gasoline contaminated w/ diesel :-( :-( :-(
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvallez View Post
What town? Going through SC from Charlotte, NC to Savannah, GA soon.

It was in Orangeburg, SC and was off the beaten path. Hwy 4 to be exact. There has been several Kroger’s with fuel issues in metro Atlanta this past week.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #35

Quote:
NEVER EVER, purchase fuel from a station or truck stop with a TANKER filling up THEIR underground tanks!!!

All of the contaminates, condensation, dirt, crap, etc. gets thoroughly mixed up and sent straight to your pump.

How long does it take for fuel to settle? What happens if the tanker leaves and 2 mins latter you pull in and get fuel?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #36

Quote:

Except:

Most sources agree that deliveries from tanker trucks do stir up particles of dirt and sludge in gasoline storage tanks, but that this isn’t really much of an issue for the ordinary motorist. Gas stations are required to have filters that trap dirt and sludge, and modern automobiles also have fuel filters, so a bit of stirred-up dirt doesn’t really pose much potential to adversely affect your car.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Except:

Most sources agree that deliveries from tanker trucks do stir up particles of dirt and sludge in gasoline storage tanks, but that this isn’t really much of an issue for the ordinary motorist. Gas stations are required to have filters that trap dirt and sludge, and modern automobiles also have fuel filters, so a bit of stirred-up dirt doesn’t really pose much potential to adversely affect your car.
When's the last time you have ever seen a fuel stop change their inline filter? In 46 years of driving, over 3 million miles...........never. I have to wonder who is not a ordinary motorist?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
When's the last time you have ever seen a fuel stop change their inline filter? In 46 years of driving, over 3 million miles...........never. I have to wonder who is not a ordinary motorist?
Actually, about 2 weeks ago at the new Sheetz in Mt. Pleasant Pa. The tech was there changing the filters on the E85 and E15 pumps while we were there. I'm not saying that they get changed as often as they should at all locations, but they do get changed.

I'm actually familiar with the area that the OP of this thread purchased is bad load of fuel. I've been in Orangeburg many times over the years. If I don't purchase it at the Pilot on 1-26, I usually use the Sunoco in Orangeburg just off of the exit across from the entrance to Cracker Barrel and the Fairfield Inn.

In all of my years of driving, I've had one load of bad diesel fuel. It was on Front Street in Binghamton NY at the now Mirabito station. It was full of water and rust. Thankfully I have aux 2 micron filters installed before the CP3's on my Cummins trucks. The filters/water separator caught everything before any damage could occur.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #39

I never have............must have been a blue moon in PA. It's not uncommon to see mold on the Diesel filters. Those are the ones to bypass.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #40
Site Team

Here is a short but interesting thread on another forum about fuel contamination. The one poster "Big Nasty" delivered fuel for years and now works as a contractor for a fuel station company. He has some pretty interesting insight in to how things can happen.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/.../#post-2563266
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote