Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #21

I have been told by having the chains crossed if the TT and TV would separate, having the chains crossed will allow you to keep control of your combination.

Mrnoyb; I was taught that the chain hooks should be entered from the bottom/behind, so in your photo your chain hooks should also be flipped over. Also I think your deal hooked your TT up without crossing the chains as there does not appear to be enough slack in the chains for them to cross them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #22

croos them ALWAYS! We live very close to a few large CGs and their TT storage facility is across the road from my neighborhood. I see constantly the drivers for the CG ( the ones the pull your TT out of storage and set it up at the site before your arrival) pull a TT out of storage with NO chain at all connected to the TV :0 The storage location is a mile or less away from the CG but still getting on the main highway like this is very risky, expecially putting someone elses property (and lives) at risk is nuts. sorry for rant...continue on now.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #23

Did anyone ever have a trailer come off and hit the chains? That has be be scary! Where do you think the weakest link in the chain is? The bolt that holds on on the trailer, the S hooks, or the chain itself?
It seems like you have a 50 50 chance if it comes off of hitting your bumper, or hitting the chains.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #24

Had a camper come off the ball once and with the crossed chains it was basically a non event. Slowing down for a red light felt a thump and actually thought the guy following us (read: tailgating) had bumped into us. Anyway walking back noticed the thing was unhitched, got through the light, pulled over rehitched and went on home. Trailer followed or behaved as normal in the short distance to stop and then pull over.

My .02
Ray
mrayb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #25

Like so many others have said in here, crossing the chains seems to be the only way to go. If those chains can help support the trailer in the event that it becomes detached somehow, at least it gives you some kind of prevention against a major problem. Several towing "experts" have told me that it is the best way to go.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #26

CROSS THEM... that way if the tongue comes off the ball the A frame will sit in the chains rather than dig into the ground.. this will also keep the trailer plugged in and help with braking.....
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #27

Wow- we've been towing three years and had no idea. I actually came across this thread b/c I was wondering what to do when chains are so short, when straight, that they barely make it from frame to tow vehicle. Still don't have an answer to that, but now I know we need the chains to be even longer, so as to cross them. Thanks!
campingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingfamily View Post
snip..... I was wondering what to do when chains are so short, when straight, that they barely make it from frame to tow vehicle. Still don't have an answer to that, but now I know we need the chains to be even longer, so as to cross them. Thanks!
Your correct.., the crossing of the safety chains will only be effective in supporting the ball mount (in the event of a disconnect) only if they are the correct length for the TV/TT combination in question. Since no two TV/TT combinations are the same, failure conditions differ, thus IMO a lot of conditions have to be "just right" for the crossed safety chains to be effective in the event of a TV/TT hitch failure.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #29

Bob, this is a link to your buddy John on the Sunline forum who documents his thoughts on this matter. I agree with you that the chains need to be crossed. I had trouble believing that the crossed chains would work supporting the trailer in the event of a separation. This was just my own opinion from what I could see happening with my own set up. It wasn't until I came across John's post that I realized that others had the same concern. For those of you who want a great read on tech issues, John B on the Sunline forum is what Bob is to our forum. I have learned lots from both of them and appreciate their contribution. So read this link for the chain issue which he documents very well.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...pics-8910.html
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #30

Way back about 20 years ago, I was in a caravan of antique car owners travelling to a national meet. About six rigs, with all the Model T Fords on car-hauling trailers. One rig was a 30 or so foot motor home, with the trailer on behind and the driver a little hard of hearing. On a straight stretch of road, the following rig noticed an unusual swaying of the trailer ahead. Pulled up beside, and discovered the trailer unhitched and swinging, cradled in the crossed chains. Turns out the ball actually broke off the shaft, and remained in the hitch head. The incident never got the attention of the driver, as he never felt or heard a thing. Damage was limited to the ball itself. If the chains had not been crossed, trailer hitch would most likely have dug into the pavement, and caused a bad accident.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Bob, this is a link to your buddy John on the Sunline forum who documents his thoughts on this matter......snip
Richard,

Yes, camp fire discussions with John have always been informative and fun when the subject matter has anything to do with camping. A small group of us had plans for a camping weekend this past season, but I had to cancel my reservation do to an illness in the family.

I winterized my TT a little over a week ago, ending another safe and enjoyable camping season. Hope your's was enjoyable as well

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #32

This analysis of the issue is very well done and clearly documents the recommended steps to follow and the reasoning for each. Just another example of why the JOF is an excellent resource for RVers.

Thank you for sharing!
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #33

I pick up my trailer from the service dept. on Thursday. The awning arm which holds the motor broke, slide out needed repairing along with the tape on top of the slide out. This year's camping was fantastic. Over 100 nights in the trailer this year. Next weekend will be our last weekend. It will hibernate in the side yard tucked in close to the house until next spring.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote