Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Curt Discovery brake controller issues

Last year I had a Curt discovery brake controller installed on my 2011 Toyota sienna, which worked great for the whole camping season. Over this winter, I had to get a new battery. When i installed the new battery, I reconnected the wires at the terminals the same way they were attached to my old battery. Since then everytime i press the brake, the display counts up to my setting as if the trailer is connected which it's not. I am under the understanding that when trailer is not connected, the controller should just read a (.)on the display.
I took a look at the 7 pin connector on my vehicle and noticed some corrosion on a couple of the pins in the housing. I took a wire brush to them and cleaned them. I then tried the brakes again with no trailer connected and it's now not counting up to my setting, its just reading (0.0) when brakes are pressed and not showing anything when the brakes are not pressed.

I'm not sure if my unit is damaged or not but I'd really appreciate any advice on what to do.

My trailer is currently in storage so I can't plug in the 7 pin to see what happens to the trailer brakes, lights etc. I'm hoping to be able to go to the trailer tomorrow and plug it in to see if anything changes.
Thanks
stefanarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

An update for those who are interested....

I got the trailer out of storage this past weekend. Put some grease on the trailer wire and connected it to grease the 7 pins on my TV. And it was working fine. The display is back to normal as it should be with, and without the trailer connected.
Contacted Curt, and they said that corrosion on the pins can definitely make the controller think a trailer is connected or that its improperly wired or something. I'm glad it's resolved. Lesson? Check for corrosion!
stefanarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #3

Glad you resolved it and thanks for letting everyone know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #4

X2 on thanking you for the follow up!

Glad it was an easy fix.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote