Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Custom exhaust question

Still waiting on my 2011 Ford F250XLT crew cab 6.2l 2wd gasser to arrive. Thinking about installing magnaflow exhaust system with cold air induction. What concerns should I be considering and what benefits may I expect if i decide to do this? Thanks again for all the info you have shared with me.
Guitarmanrlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

If you haven't already I would check out some Ford forums. Some vehicles, my truck included, have zero gains with a CAI, in fact some flow less than the OEM airbox. As for the exhaust, it will likely change your exhaust note to something louder and more aggressive, but unless it is a freer flowing design or you replace the catalytic converter to a freer flowing model your gains will be minimal. Just my .02
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #3

Personally I think the cold air intake is a misnomer. Both my trucks and my Odyssey pull their intake air from the upper part of the fender well, not the engine compartment. I can monitor the intake air temperature with my Garmin Mechanic dongle and even on the hottest days my intake air temperature is always at ambient, never above. I agree with dmax_38 on the exhaust system...gains are most likely minimal.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #4

One thing to think about if you tow is drone with a trailer on board. I know they sound nice when taking off and cruising, but with camper, you run higher RPM ranges, and you are going to have to listen to it the entire trip.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #5

I can understand wanting the exhaust, but with the 6.2 specs you really don't need any marginal gains. Your stock exhaust will likely last the life of the truck and while some of the aftermarket systems come in stainless steel, and have a good life span, they are pricey.

I'll take some heat on this: More airflow also means more dirt flow.

The money for those mods could pay for some great Jayco adventures!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
If you haven't already I would check out some Ford forums. Some vehicles, my truck included, have zero gains with a CAI, in fact some flow less than the OEM airbox. As for the exhaust, it will likely change your exhaust note to something louder and more aggressive, but unless it is a freer flowing design or you replace the catalytic converter to a freer flowing model your gains will be minimal. Just my .02
AGREED... plus if you leave the campground early you will be waking people up with the custom exhaust.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #7

We took my utility trailer and my Father-in-law's 2500 Dodge Heavy-Duty to Florida from Ohio last year to get a Corvette that he had bought. Not sure if he has MagnaFlow or FlowMaster and AirRaid CAI on that truck. That was the most miserable driving vehicle I have ever driven. Between the drown of the exhaust and the whistle of the CAI I had a headache before we had even gotten out of the county. I was so glad when we got back home and hooked the trailer back up to my truck. My stock Silverado sounded so much better. Peace and quiet.....Wish so much we would have taken my truck.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Put aftermarket exhaust on my Harley and I will never put a different exhaust on anything I own again. If the exhaust doesn't produce a big increase in back pressure you could loose a lot of your torque and that is something you don't want to loose for towing.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

I agree with the intake being a loss and you are better with stock there. The stock Ford air filters are big enough and keep dirt out which you want.

What you need to consider here on the exhaust is that Diesels need to breath more than gas and by allowing that to happen you lower your EGT's which is better over the long run for your engine. With a Turbo engine the exhaust is flowing back into the engine to produce more power thus keeping your engines internal heat much higher. By going with a turbo back exhaust and increasing your pipe size more air can flow out and keeps your turbo gases cooler thus your engine cooler for better performance and increased MPG's in most cases. I went to 4" turbo back Magnaflow SS exhaust and it lowered my EGT's by 150-200 degree's and increased my MPG's. My down pipe was a joke at 2.5" or less in an area bent to get down from the turbo between the firewall. I did retain my cat too but could bypass if I choose based on the kit I bought. Took about 3 hrs for 2 guys to do it with some proper tools on hand. Hardest part was the down pipe after removal.

While my truck is a 2003 and there are some new revisions on your 2011, one thing is constant, heat is your enemy in a Diesel.

Rule of thumb is that you never want your EGT's to go over 1200 degree's or sustained there for very long. While towing you can easily exceed those temps and your engine and pocket will pay for it down the line.

Just my 2 cents based on all the research I have done and my experience with my own truck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
With a Turbo engine the exhaust is flowing back into the engine to produce more power thus keeping your engines internal heat much higher.
No true, with a turbo engine your exhaust drives an impeller that is connected to another impeller via a sealed shaft, your exhaust does not go back into the engine it just charges the intake air. The charged air does heat up due to the pressure increase, but that is why most turbo charged engines incorporate an intercooler post turbo.

Disclaimer: most newer diesels do use Exhaust Gas Recirculation to reduce emissions which is an entire different story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	782px-Turbocharger.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6153
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #11

On your 6.2 gasser, I'd run it stock for a while and see if you are ok with the sound, the temperatures and the mileage you get. I'm one who believes that every engine can benefit from a better flowing exhaust, but I've found that once you start down that road, you'll eventually start to wonder if you could use new headers, better tuning, more fuel on and on. If you're anything like me, your 6.2 will become a supercharged 10-second rocket and your significant other will be standing behind you quietly tapping the rolling pin in her palm. :hihi:

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Thanks again for all the info. You have convinced me to stick with the factory exhaust.
Guitarmanrlk is offline   Reply With Quote