Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #21

Just so you know, the truckers are not tax exempt per se on the fuel prices, rather they pay their taxes in their trip permits which is based on actual miles driven in stead of the gallons of fuel used, that is why their price is computed different than yours

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
That be me. I don't want the aggravation of driving around to save pennies on the gallon. Get in where it is easy and move on. If I have to stew about a few extra bucks while towing I probably should not be doing this. Now if we were talking about hundreds of dollars but for pocket lint...forgetaboutit...YMMV
Do the math. At 25 cents more per gal x 100 gal = $25. Then figure 4 fill ups on a road trip and you're up to $100. Doesn't take long to add up, and all you have to do is be a little creative in finding the right station. I watch the info signs as you near an exit and look for multi stations at the exit. Then I go the direction of the most stations at the bottom of the ramp and quickly scan the stations from afar to find the one with the best access and pump layout. Not really that hard and I don't get the "driving miles to save pennies" comment. Don't think I've ever been skunked using this method.

I am 54' total length w/ my TT so I have to be just as careful as the biggest MH. I too have used Truck stops [for gas] in the past largely because they usually have the lowest cost gas and house fast food shops inside the facility. Now with a diesel TV, not so much. I do not like to be cheated or conned and that is exactly what they are doing to Auto diesel customers.

In the end, this is a free country and each can do as they please. In my case, I have pulled in to my last truck stop unless I'm nearing empty and it is the only fuel station I've seen in the last 100 miles.

Boycott truck stops.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Just so you know, the truckers are not tax exempt per se on the fuel prices, rather they pay their taxes in their trip permits which is based on actual miles driven in stead of the gallons of fuel used, that is why their price is computed different than yours
OK so not sure how that makes a difference when the bottom line here is that they get a discounted price over what a non commercial customer has to pay. From my recent experience and doing some follow up, that discount seems to amount to about a quarter per gal which raises a couple issues. The "tax-exempt" [thats what they call it] price is pretty close to what regular stations sell AD for and if the truck stop price is intended to be a discount, why is it about the same as the regular stations? Second, shouldn't the fully tax incuded price of AD be roughly the same for all stations, with variations due to volume of purchases and supplier? In any regard one would expect that a truck stop would buy xxx times more volume than the typical gas station, even the bigger ones. So their cost [and as a result their final price] should be on the lower side of the range for the end product. So then why is the actual cost to the non-commercial", that would be the little guy and the RV'ers, actually marked up significantly over the non truck stops? Hmm???????

They can calculate their price how ever but in the end, deducting a % for tax exempt or tax othewise paid should stem from basically the same base price. Or to say it another way, if they take their cost of product to figure the tax exempt price they would take that same cost of product and add the tax to get to a "Retail" consumer price.

No matter how you slice it, AD at a truck stop will cost you significantly more than the Shell, Exon, BP, or any brand at the next exit.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #24

Before I start pumping I look to see what the pump price shows and if I dont like it I cancel the transaction and go elsewhere.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #25

We remodeled our house this year. Did a little coupon trick. We buy all our stuff at Lowes, Few weeks ago we purchased $3500 worth of appliances. I watched the Kroger fuel point 4 x times weekend coupon. Went to krogers bought $3500 worth of lowes gift cards, went to lowes bought the appliances as I nornally would have. Got 14,000 free Kroger points which equals $1.00 per gallon off for the next 14 fill ups. $1.00 off is as much as they will let you take and it's 35 gallon limit on fill ups but it helps.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #26

I have never seen a price different from advertised prices at truck stops except the cash price. With our Pilot Rv card we get 6 cents off a gallon to boot.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I have never seen a price different from advertised prices at truck stops except the cash price. With our Pilot Rv card we get 6 cents off a gallon to boot.
This only happens on auto diesel. Gas pricing is as advertised on the signs. Its the auto diesel that what you see on the sign is not what you pay. This is for sure true in Indiana.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
This only happens on auto diesel. Gas pricing is as advertised on the signs. Its the auto diesel that what you see on the sign is not what you pay. This is for sure true in Indiana.

Wow, that would stink. I'll remember to fill up before I go through Indiana for sure.

I always fill up where the trucks do anyway.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #29

From what I've heard that's an Indiana thing, just fill up before you hit the line and no worries.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote