Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

Thumbs down Deceptive Pricing @ Truck Stops

Couldn't find if this has been discussed before so here goes. Recently stopped at a Pilot/Flying J in Indiana when I saw a price on the interstate sign. It was $3.96 but was the lowest of any stations I'd seen. Stopped, fueled up, and after a burger I was on my way home. Later when checking receipts in my pocket before pitching them, I noticed that on the Flying J receipt I was charged $4.189 per gallon not the price on the signage.

With a follow up call to the station and a complaint to their corp HQ I found out that for diesel they post the "non-taxable" price that is what commercial truckers pay. The AD [auto diesel] that consumers, including RV's, is much higher as it includes the taxes. In my case that was a plus 24 cents per gallon making it higher than any other station up and down the road. Did some investigation on-line and found that this was a common complaint. As a new diesel owner [2010 2500HD Silverado] I might be the last to find this out, the hard way.

Don't know if this is the practice at truck stops in other states, but in Indiana I was told all truck stops are required to post the non-tax price.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #2

Don't know if this was the true in the above case, but most of the Flying J's I see in Indiana have roadside signs which alternately flash taxable/non-taxable diesel prices.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I wasn't aware of that, but I don't have a diesel..... yet.

Can't wait to tell my BIL, up until a couple of years ago he had to keep reminding me that diesel fuel was cheaper then unleaded.........., this should be a Kodak moment

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
Don't know if this was the true in the above case, but most of the Flying J's I see in Indiana have roadside signs which alternately flash taxable/non-taxable diesel prices.
Most of what I've seen on the flashing signs are "Cash and Credit" prices that usually vary by about 5 cents. Definitely correct with my original post. I got a response from Corp HG who tried to explain how the "non-tax" pricing. The fact that he explained was that less than 5% of their diesel sales is to commercial truckers. Note that gas pricing does not use the non-tax method on their signage, just diesel.

Will pay more attention to the non truck stop stations and start logging which brands typically have RV friendly layouts. I'm 54' total for TT and TV so I have to be careful before pulling in. This is a 50/50% with standard stations. With an oversized fuel capacity, you can easily spend $25 to $40 more per fill if you pull into one of these truck stops, thinking you are saving money.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Correction to my last post. Truck stops sell less than 5% of their diesel to consumer vehicles.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
... up until a couple of years ago he had to keep reminding me that diesel fuel was cheaper then unleaded ...
When I bought my first diesel back in 1996, diesel fuel in PA was less than $1.00/gal. while regular unleaded gasoline was hovering around $1.25. Today, not only does diesel fuel cost more than a gallon of premium unleaded, it's now taxed higher than gasoline too.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

I.ve experIenced this in different states too.

I use a couple apps on my phone. The favorite is gas buddy. It is my go to fuel app. It is a user driven fuel price database. People record actual prices at fill-up. I am really enjoying the AAA Trip Planner app when traveling. I think it lists fuel prices for select stations that report to AAA. The other advantage is the AAA app does route planning and also includes other things like campground, restaurants, etc.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #8

We filled up at a truckstop once and payed at the pump (where the semis fuel up), later found they put a temporary $500 charge on our card to "test" our account. We go in and pay now to avoid that. We were on a cross country trip and might have maxed out our card with temporary charges.
Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

I stay away from truck stops and just pick a nice regular gas station that sells diesel.the Restrooms and the diesel pumps are cleaner and nicer. I really think trucker see how nasty they can get the diesel pump handle for the next guy
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
I stay away from truck stops and just pick a nice regular gas station that sells diesel.the Restrooms and the diesel pumps are cleaner and nicer. I really think trucker see how nasty they can get the diesel pump handle for the next guy
I just hate pulling off the interstate not knowing if my rig will fit, at least at truck stops you know. The best is when they have the RV islands.

Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote