Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

Dialling in the WDH - CAT Results

So I thought I would post the results of a couple of visits to the CAT scales this summer. We have a new to us X19H purchased from a local dealer. I knew as soon as we picked it up that the tech who put on the new WDH (Husky Roundbar) didn’t have it setup right, but also knew that I would need to adjust it after loading the TT anyway, so I didn’t worry too much.

The initial setup had the hitch ball canted back toward to the TV, and with the minimum 4 links on the bars, it really wasn’t picking up much weight. So on our second outing, once I had things dialled in a bit, I did a 3-pass visit to the CAT scales. This was a weekend only trip, so I would describe the load as average. We had our bikes along, but no kayaks for the park we were visiting. Only 1 passenger and the driver were in the vehicle for all weights. All water and waste were empty, 2 propane tanks at about ¾ full.

First up, some of the base specifications required for calculations. My TV is a Chevrolet Traverse with tow package. All weights are in lbs.
X19H from Jayco specs:
Max Trailer Wt 4,950
Traverse from GM general vehicle specs:
Max towing weight: 5,200
GCWR: 10,250
From door jamb stickers:
Max cargo: 1,621
GVWR: 6,411
GAWR (Front): 3,196
GAWR (Rear): 3,527

Our first visit to the scales:
Pass 1, with bars (@ 5 links):
Front: 2,680
Rear: 3,380
TT: 3,920
GCVW: 9,980
TV GW: 6,060
Pass 2, WDH disengaged:
Front: 2,580
Rear: 3,520
TT: 3,900
GCVW: 10,000
TV GW: 6,100
Pass 3, TV Only:
Front: 2,900
Rear: 2,520
TV GW: 5,420
Calculated weights:
Tongue Wt: 680
Trailer Weight: 4,580
% Tongue: 14.85%
TT CC Remaining: 370

Conclusions:
All weights are within spec, however I am pretty close on the rear GAWR, within 7 lbs with the bars off. I am really not transferring much weight off the rear axle with the WDH. If I had looked closer at the numbers before I drove off, I probably should have taken one more pass with the WDH at 4 links.

When I got home, I took my front wheel measurements at the 4 links setting:
Unladen: 33.25”
No bars: 34”
4 links: 33.75”
So even with the tighter links, I still need to bring the front fender down another 1/2” and the numbers back this up.

I decided to adjust the head on my WDH to get better adjustment. I added several SS washers to the head adjustment (of course the dealer didn’t give me any of the extras that come with the hitch) until the tips of the bars were at the height specified in the setup instructions. Now the head has the more traditional backward cant. Hitching up, it “felt” right at 6 or 7 links – trailer and TV appear level.

Our next trip out was our “big” 2 week trip. This is about as heavy as I ever run, with lots of food and beverages on board, and 2 kayaks added to the roof of the TV. I also had about ¼ more fuel than the previous weigh in. This time I only did the single pass; the CAT scale guy was kind of grumpy, and a semi pulled up behind me at the scale, so I decided to go quick. WDH was at the lighter 7 links.
Front: 2,700
Rear: 3,220
TT: 4,340
GCVW: 10,260
TV GW: 5,920
Total weight went up by about 260 lbs, with the biggest issue here being I’m over my GCWR by 10 lbs. (Sorry dear, we can’t bring any more stuff!) The weight distribution is better across all axles. In all cases my front end feels a bit light, steering is fine, but the front wheels often fight for traction on starting out (this is an FWD only vehicle). On the return trip I went to up to 6 links, and the handling improved a bit. Overall, not too bad though, and a fun learning experience.

There will probably be one more pass over the CAT scale with the new WDH link setting, but I think I have this just about right now.

Anyone have any comments on the measurements, would love to hear them. Everything I know about weights, I learned here on JOF!

Pictures below of the CAT readings, and our rig just as we are heading out for the longer trip.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Bank,

Your latest wdh setting doesn't look to bad. Obviously having 3 passes across the scales as you did the first time if ideal as you can figure out all the weights that way. Even if a semi pulls up behind you, just pull of the scale and back around to weigh again. The last couple times I have weighed, I went inside first and stated I needed to weigh 3 times, and asked if I could just pay after all 3. That was after one time the "weigh master" was kind of a jerk in stating I needed to pay after the first one. Never had an issue before that paying for all once done....

On a side note, how does the Traverse do towing ~4500lbs? My wife has a Traverse also, and while it probably won't happen, I would love to get a boat (bow rider) in the 18-20' range and wondered how the Traverse would do towing it. I know a boat tows easier than a rolling brick.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

The Traverse is very comfortable towing. It has a pretty prodigious payload capacity since it has to be able to handle 8 passengers. I have more payload than a lot of stock 1/2 ton pickups. I would recommend the factory towing package for anyone contemplating using as a tow vehicle. The package includes frame stiffening members in the rear (they run up under the spare tire), and the tow/haul mode does help with transmission timing.
We tow regularly through the Adirondacks and up through Algonquin Park and the Traverse handles heavy grades well. I might scrub a bit of speed on the larger uphill inclines; but I just don't like to hear the engine working that hard so will hold in a higher gear. I have never felt short of power, and in general have no problem keeping up with traffic on some very rollercoaster roads. The 3.6 has gobs of torque, which can make starting in slippery conditions a bit fun with the crappy OEM tires (will be finally replacing next spring). Even without trailering the front wheels spin coming off a stop on wet roads.
And not towing related, but it is a great highway cruiser too. We have driven to Florida twice and SC once and will be heading to SC again this March. These are non-camping trips; we own timeshares for our winter getaways. We will generally do the 24 hr drive over two days, and I don't find it tiring at all in the Traverse.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
snip...... I added several SS washers to the head adjustment (of course the dealer didn’t give me any of the extras that come with the hitch) until the tips of the bars were at the height specified in the setup instructions. Now the head has the more traditional backward cant. Hitching up, it “felt” right at 6 or 7 links......snip
When you refer to "6 or 7 links"...., do you mean 'links under tension' or 'hanging loose' ?......, I assume 'under tension'.

I agree, moving a little more weight to your TV's front axle is required and will enhance TV handling.

Depending on one's WDH brand/style the installation instructions will reference a "minimum" chain links 'under tension' for optimum spring bar movement (for/aft) during TV turns.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
When you refer to "6 or 7 links"...., do you mean 'links under tension' or 'hanging loose' ?......, I assume 'under tension'.

I agree, moving a little more weight to your TV's front axle is required and will enhance TV handling.

Depending on one's WDH brand/style the installation instructions will reference a "minimum" chain links 'under tension' for optimum spring bar movement (for/aft) during TV turns.

Bob
Yes, under tension. And yes, Husky round bar is 4 minimum.