Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #21

Yeah, I was known to do such things in the past, like the auto trans fluid idea. Auto trans fluid has a high level of detergents in them. However, with modern common rail diesels and such, some which have well over 20,000 PSI at the injector tips, and delivering up to 5 injector events in just the compression stroke on some diesels, I am a little less motivated to use some of the "old school" methodologies that we used in the past.

For an older diesel (pre-2003), it could still be a viable option. With many of the design changes in fuel systems and injectors since the emissions stuff came along, one should be very cautious about back yard remedies.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Yeah, I was known to do such things in the past, like the auto trans fluid idea. Auto trans fluid has a high level of detergents in them. However, with modern common rail diesels and such, some which have well over 20,000 PSI at the injector tips, and delivering up to 5 injector events in just the compression stroke on some diesels, I am a little less motivated to use some of the "old school" methodologies that we used in the past.

For an older diesel (pre-2003), it could still be a viable option. With many of the design changes in fuel systems and injectors since the emissions stuff came along, one should be very cautious about back yard remedies.
He has a 1999 Power Stoke 7.3
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
He has a 1999 Power Stoke 7.3
Understood, but other folks reading this thread may not and think it is ok to do something to a modern diesel that we used to get by with on older diesels. Even then, I have left many back yard ideas behind. I haven't played those kinds of back yard games for a couple of decades. There are quality fuel additive/conditioners on the market that are designed specifically for the task and more cost effective to use. When it only costs me about 2 cents per gallon of diesel to treat it with my favorite additive, why would I want to throw in a few dollars worth of auto trans fluid? It is more expensive, per gallon of diesel, to use and is not designed for the job.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Our new (to us) TV is a 1999 F250 with the 7.3L PSD. Just has 93k miles and want to keep it in great shape for towing the Jayco, but I’m no diesel expert. The PO used STP diesel injector cleaner in the fuel I think, but my my mechanic recommends Marvel Mystery Oil. I’ve read as many opinions on additives as there are products, but I trust you all who tow TTs. Advice? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Understood, but other folks reading this thread may not and think it is ok to do something to a modern diesel that we used to get by with on older diesels. Even then, I have left many back yard ideas behind. I haven't played those kinds of back yard games for a couple of decades. There are quality fuel additive/conditioners on the market that are designed specifically for the task and more cost effective to use. When it only costs me about 2 cents per gallon of diesel to treat it with my favorite additive, why would I want to throw in a few dollars worth of auto trans fluid? It is more expensive, per gallon of diesel, to use and is not designed for the job.

Well, anyone that can read and actually read the OP’s the first line KNOWS he has 1999 F250 with a 7.3L Diesel.
Specifically regarding the 7.3L diesel since that’s what the OP asked about. This engine is around 18 years old, those of us that have that engine know through research what works and does not work in the engine. There are companies that still specialize in the 7.3L diesels.

If you have a different engine then you have a personal responsibility to research that engine and what does and does not work. Since you’re throwing up numbers .02 cents per gallon without any product names, I’ll assume that you’re just throwing out numbers.

OTOH, here’s a product name and some concrete numbers: Archoil 6200 runs around $44 a bottle that treats 500 gallons of fuel. That translates to about $.08 cents a gallon.
When the 7.3L came out there was no internet, guys tried stuff, talked to buddies, and did what they had to get the most of their hard earned money. Now with the internet, guys can research ideas to make the most of their new or Old trucks. Some are new products and ideas, but these of these old ideas are around because they work. A guy may try a $3 bottle of 2 cycle tcw3 oil that will treat a 40 gallon tank of fuel to see if it helps. That comes to around $.18 cents per gallon. It’s still cheaper than taking it too a mechanic, especially if you’re not mechanically inclined or putting new injectors in it.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Since you’re throwing up numbers .02 cents per gallon without any product names, I’ll assume that you’re just throwing out numbers.
I do love it when someone who wants to be a smart alec and make assumptions about others. I didn't make mention of the name because I didn't want to toot Schaeffer Oil's horn. I leave that to sales reps. I am not brand loyal and try to avoid falling into the "the brand I use is better than what you use" type of high school kids games.

What I do use is Schaeffer 137 Diesel Treat. 5 gal pail. I misspoke too soon due to recent price hikes. Actually a little over 3 cents per gallon of diesel cost now. 5 gal pail treats 5000 gallons of diesel. Cost is about $164 for 5 gallons. I go thru about two pails in the warm months and two pails of the winter version during the cold months. I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year on average.

I am sure in your infinite wisdom that you have heard of Schaeffer Oil. You know, the guys who have been making lubrication products longer than any other oil company in N. America, since 1839, makes products for Shell and Mobil, and developed the lubes for the Apache Attack Helicopter and Abrams Tank. I trust them with my motor, drive train, etc lubrication needs.