Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #21

Yes, but the flash point of 2-stroke is far higher than diesel so while the BTU is similar, it doesn't ignite as quickly and results in loss of power.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #22

I use Stanadyne when available- Used it in my 95 7.3 for over 100K miles- Diesel fuel needs a cetane boost because the product does not supply enuf cetane to properly move our vehicles- I now have an 05 GMC with Duramax/ Allison power train- GMC recommends Stanadyne in their lititure [sp?]- I used to add ATF to the fuel in my 95 7.3 to make up for the lack of lubricity in the current diesel fuel on the market- This is the result of removing sulpher from the fuel due to emission regulations- JMHO- DD
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #23

I don't run an additive at all. Have never had my fuel gel up and the truck is too new to have any injector or pump issues. My owners manual specifically states that additives are not necessary. The way I look at it, if GM thought that they were a good idea, they would suggest it in the manual. Just my .02, I'm sure that many will disagree.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #24

Common rail fuel systems are running metal on metal with tolerances never seen before in the industry with the fuel loosing more and more of its lubricating properties because of emissions. It is a cheap peace of mind to know that your fuel system is being protected. JMHO. Jeff

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
I don't run an additive at all. Have never had my fuel gel up and the truck is too new to have any injector or pump issues. My owners manual specifically states that additives are not necessary. The way I look at it, if GM thought that they were a good idea, they would suggest it in the manual. Just my .02, I'm sure that many will disagree.
dmax, I tend to agree with you. My neighborhood Chevy dealer will not recommend nor will he discourage the use of additives either. I have had over 30 Chevys, all non diesels since I was 16 and driven all of them up to or well over over 100,000 miles with only a few alternators, batteries and one transmission to go out in 46 years. Likewise my duramax has 104K and I have never had a bit of problem with it. I have religiously maintained each and every vehicle I have owned with good oil and filters, including air and fuel, no cheap stuff, Quaker State, (Rotella in the diesel) and Fram forever. I also believe the additives on the shelves today, such as has been mentioned in this thread do help. Certainly cannot hurt to use them, and if it adds what today's diesel fuels are lacking in, so much the better. Some of the older generation (my age) thought STP was the key to longer engine life and faster cars. Maybe so but I never used it, just had the stickers on my hot rods. Overall I think proper and frequent maintenance is the key to longer engine life.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
None of the manufacturers recommend any additives for their diesel engines. Dealers might but the factory dosen't. I think the additives are made for a created need. How many diesel trucks are used by the military? How often do they put out bids for additives?
Not 100% true. In the diesel supplement from my owners manual pack, Ford recommends the use of the Motorcraft PM-22-A diesel fuel additive. It's not required, just recommended. It's a cetane booster and lubricity additive. I've been using it since the first tank, 18k miles and no issues...knock on wood!
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
Not 100% true. In the diesel supplement from my owners manual pack, Ford recommends the use of the Motorcraft PM-22-A diesel fuel additive. It's not required, just recommended. It's a cetane booster and lubricity additive. I've been using it since the first tank, 18k miles and no issues...knock on wood!
I think if it was necessary it would be required. Just Ford and the dealers making a few more dollars off their customers. Just my opinion.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #28

I hemhaw on this issue. Owning a 2005 (pre all the major junk and ULSD fuel) I wonder. Supposedly additives are there to replace the lubrication lost in de-sulfication. Some say not so much.

I don't know - I don't run any additive. Prior owner of the truck did. I'm 12k on this truck's 110k miles. It's my first diesel. I'm gonna just run the stuff from the pump and see what happens....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
Wise decision. Don't know if you spend any time on RV.NET but there is a discussion in the tow vehicle board regarding the failures of the Bosch CP4 injection pump on the 6.7 PS that have resulted in entire fuel system replacement (HP pump, fuel rail and injectors) and in some cases Ford has denied warranty coverage claiming fuel contamination. Think the thread is up to 120 pages.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
Wise decision. Don't know if you spend any time on RV.NET but there is a discussion in the tow vehicle board regarding the failures of the Bosch CP4 injection pump on the 6.7 PS that have resulted in entire fuel system replacement (HP pump, fuel rail and injectors) and in some cases Ford has denied warranty coverage claiming fuel contamination. Think the thread is up to 120 pages.
An additive will not fix contaminated fuel.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
An additive will not fix contaminated fuel.
True. There a couple engineer types on the RV.NET thread that have presented a lot of info. they unearthed. The Bosch CP4 pump used on the Power Stroke is also used on some VW diesel models and they have been experiencing failures as well. There is info on the thread that seems to indicate the problem may be with the coating used on the internal surfaces of the pump failing, and in turn, the pump grenades and send shrapnel to the common rail and injectors. Ford's contention of fuel contamination by water in denying some of these warranty claims is peculiar, because in no instance discussed in the thread did the vehicle owner(s) get a water in fuel light, but Ford claims water was found in fuel or rust found in the HP pump. Regarding the use of an additive, one of the posters got hold of a Ford internal notice to dealers encouraging customers to use their diesel fuel additive after the problem began to appear with some regularity. It isn't happening a lot, but it's happening. The story is, Ford is ducking and bobbing on some of these claims, VW is standing behind their product and repairing them under warranty. And it is expensive. The guy on RV.Net that started the thread had the pump go on his 2011 F-350 at 34000 miles. The repair bill was nearly $12K, warranty claim denied by Ford. Since Ford claimed fuel contamination, the owner filed with his auto insurance carrier under comprehensive coverage and they paid the claim.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #32

My opinion is simple [ no pun intended]- I'm sure fuel processors meet Federal requirements for cetane levels but I doubt they ever exceed the minimum requirements- That is why I add Stanadyne to every tank regardless of weather conditions, etc.- I'd rather spend a little now, rather than a lot later [remember the old Fram oil filter ads?]- JMHO- DD
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #33

I have a 2012 Ford with a 6.7 diesel. According to the manual and the diesel mechanic at the dealer where I bought the truck, no additives are recommended (except for extended cold weather). I had started to put cetane in right after I bought it, and the service people told me that it is not recommended.

2012 F350 DRW Diesel
2012 Pinnacle 35LKTS
dlkuhn573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkuhn573 View Post
I have a 2012 Ford with a 6.7 diesel. According to the manual and the diesel mechanic at the dealer where I bought the truck, no additives are recommended (except for extended cold weather). I had started to put cetane in right after I bought it, and the service people told me that it is not recommended.
Taken from page 25 of my 2011 Power Stroke Owner's guide Supplement:

Diesel Fuel Conditioner

Additives that will improve fuel cetane numbers may be used to verify/enhance fuel quality. Use Motorcraft or an equivalent cetane booster & performance improver as listed in the Maintenance product specifications and capacities section in this chapter. The customer warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or exceed Ford specifications.

Do not use alcohol based additives to correct fuel gelling. This may result in damage to the fuel injectors/system. Use Motorcraft or an equivalent anti-gel & performance improver as listed in the Maintenance product specifications and capacities section in this chapter. The customer warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or exceed Ford specifications.

Note: These ultra-low sulfur formulations are designed to meet the emissions standards for the 6.7L engine and is backward compatible as well(i.e., can be used in Ford 7.3L, 6.9L, 6.4L, and 6.0L diesel engines in Ford vehicles).

And then, on page 62, there is a chart that lists all recommended fluids and their capacities. In that chart you will find the cetane booster PM-22-A, and the anti-gel PM-23-A.

This information probably isn't listed in the main owners manual. It is listed in the Diesel Supplement. I have many good friends that work as techs at a Ford dealer. The same Ford dealer that I spent 6 years at as a tech. It is highly recommended by them.

I am very aware of Rickatic's fuel issue from RV.net. He is also a member on FTE. He and I have talked in great length about his issue and how he feels about it. The main issue is, the first dealer his truck was towed to had no clue how to diagnose the problem and automatically called fuel contamination. The second dealer, his main dealer, saw no evidence of contamination. The first dealer had already called it in to Ford...that's why the claim was denied. Oh, and the Bosch CP-4 pump that VW and Ford use, is also the same one that is used on the Duramax...
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #35

A clean injector is a happy injector... and once you see how much new ones cost + install...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #36

Standadyne makes injector pumps and injectors as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Standadyne makes injector pumps and injectors as well.
You are right Grumpy, it is the only diesel fuel additive made by a fuel component manufacturer. You would assume that they have a pretty good idea of what is required to keep injectors and pumps running properly. There is a lot of snake oil out there. A person just needs to do their homework and find a quality product.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #38

Picked up Petrolabs to try out. Cetane boost and lubricity.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
Who runs an additive in thier diesel? I just got my truck and it has about 25000 miles on it. I don't believe the previous owner ran an additive. My brother in law is a mechanic and does lots of diesel repairs and performance upgrades and says run an additive. He recomends Standyne first then Howes. It apparantly cleans and lubes the fuel system.
Ford Diesel: PM 22 A is the Cetane booster, PM 23 A is the Anti-gel. They both add lubricity. PM23 does not boost Cetane, PM22 does not provide Anti-gel. PM 23 is used in cold weather (below 0) to reduce waxing in the fuel. Use them both when the temp is cold, use the ratio of 4oz PM22 with every 25 gal fill. PM 23 is also 4oz per 25 gal.
You can get a gallon (as of this writing) of PM 22 A for just under $60 on Amazon, includes free shipping. 1 Gal treats up to 1,000 gallons of fuel. PM 23 is $14.00 and if you place it on the same order as the PM 22, shipping is again free. Steer clear of Qualityauto on eBay, they charge $7 something per 20 oz of the Cetane booster and have a $14+ dollar shipping, making it VERY expensive from pure greed. Also, Ford recommends it for use in ALL of their diesel engines, no restriction on years.
Consumer Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #40
Lost in the Woods

I have been running Howe's in my big truck for the past 20 years and over 2,000,000 miles. It not only cleans the fuel system, it improves the fuel mileage as well by about 0.5 mpg. That more than pays for the additive, and the engine just runs smoother. I have been told by many big truck mechanics over the years that the engine develops more horsepower. Plus it provides the anti-gel properties for the Winter. There are many other additives similar to Howe's sold at truck stops and I have tried many of them with success. I usually run Howe's because I have had good luck with it and I usually can find it at a lower price point than the others. I factor in how much to add/gallon in the price as they all seem to be different i.e. one quart of Howe's treats a different amount than a competitors.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote