Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #21

Yes, but the flash point of 2-stroke is far higher than diesel so while the BTU is similar, it doesn't ignite as quickly and results in loss of power.

Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #22

I use Stanadyne when available- Used it in my 95 7.3 for over 100K miles- Diesel fuel needs a cetane boost because the product does not supply enuf cetane to properly move our vehicles- I now have an 05 GMC with Duramax/ Allison power train- GMC recommends Stanadyne in their lititure [sp?]- I used to add ATF to the fuel in my 95 7.3 to make up for the lack of lubricity in the current diesel fuel on the market- This is the result of removing sulpher from the fuel due to emission regulations- JMHO- DD

Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #23

I don't run an additive at all. Have never had my fuel gel up and the truck is too new to have any injector or pump issues. My owners manual specifically states that additives are not necessary. The way I look at it, if GM thought that they were a good idea, they would suggest it in the manual. Just my .02, I'm sure that many will disagree.
dmax_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #24

Common rail fuel systems are running metal on metal with tolerances never seen before in the industry with the fuel loosing more and more of its lubricating properties because of emissions. It is a cheap peace of mind to know that your fuel system is being protected. JMHO. Jeff

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
I don't run an additive at all. Have never had my fuel gel up and the truck is too new to have any injector or pump issues. My owners manual specifically states that additives are not necessary. The way I look at it, if GM thought that they were a good idea, they would suggest it in the manual. Just my .02, I'm sure that many will disagree.
dmax, I tend to agree with you. My neighborhood Chevy dealer will not recommend nor will he discourage the use of additives either. I have had over 30 Chevys, all non diesels since I was 16 and driven all of them up to or well over over 100,000 miles with only a few alternators, batteries and one transmission to go out in 46 years. Likewise my duramax has 104K and I have never had a bit of problem with it. I have religiously maintained each and every vehicle I have owned with good oil and filters, including air and fuel, no cheap stuff, Quaker State, (Rotella in the diesel) and Fram forever. I also believe the additives on the shelves today, such as has been mentioned in this thread do help. Certainly cannot hurt to use them, and if it adds what today's diesel fuels are lacking in, so much the better. Some of the older generation (my age) thought STP was the key to longer engine life and faster cars. Maybe so but I never used it, just had the stickers on my hot rods. Overall I think proper and frequent maintenance is the key to longer engine life.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
None of the manufacturers recommend any additives for their diesel engines. Dealers might but the factory dosen't. I think the additives are made for a created need. How many diesel trucks are used by the military? How often do they put out bids for additives?
Not 100% true. In the diesel supplement from my owners manual pack, Ford recommends the use of the Motorcraft PM-22-A diesel fuel additive. It's not required, just recommended. It's a cetane booster and lubricity additive. I've been using it since the first tank, 18k miles and no issues...knock on wood!
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
Not 100% true. In the diesel supplement from my owners manual pack, Ford recommends the use of the Motorcraft PM-22-A diesel fuel additive. It's not required, just recommended. It's a cetane booster and lubricity additive. I've been using it since the first tank, 18k miles and no issues...knock on wood!
I think if it was necessary it would be required. Just Ford and the dealers making a few more dollars off their customers. Just my opinion.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #28

I hemhaw on this issue. Owning a 2005 (pre all the major junk and ULSD fuel) I wonder. Supposedly additives are there to replace the lubrication lost in de-sulfication. Some say not so much.

I don't know - I don't run any additive. Prior owner of the truck did. I'm 12k on this truck's 110k miles. It's my first diesel. I'm gonna just run the stuff from the pump and see what happens....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
Wise decision. Don't know if you spend any time on RV.NET but there is a discussion in the tow vehicle board regarding the failures of the Bosch CP4 injection pump on the 6.7 PS that have resulted in entire fuel system replacement (HP pump, fuel rail and injectors) and in some cases Ford has denied warranty coverage claiming fuel contamination. Think the thread is up to 120 pages.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
Wise decision. Don't know if you spend any time on RV.NET but there is a discussion in the tow vehicle board regarding the failures of the Bosch CP4 injection pump on the 6.7 PS that have resulted in entire fuel system replacement (HP pump, fuel rail and injectors) and in some cases Ford has denied warranty coverage claiming fuel contamination. Think the thread is up to 120 pages.
An additive will not fix contaminated fuel.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote