Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2022, 10:16 PM   #1

Diesel Fuel Additive

I am wondering if you use diesel fuel additive. If you do what do you use?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #2

Either Power Service or our preferred choice is Opti-Lube.

There are different products for different purposes.. but the primary is anti-gel in cold weather... We carry both on-board our Seneca year round, and use them religiously in the winter months of North America. Opti-Lube is produced in the cold country of Utah, and it works!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
Site Team

We don't use it in the south. Not cold enough to gel and mfg. states it's not required.

I used it in my first diesel 7.3 and also in my 2nd 6.0 engine.

Not at all on the 6.7PSD.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:08 AM   #4

I have only used standyne performance formula, I got a deal on a case. Supposedly injector pump lube, cetane booster. I used it when towing, I do not notice any mpg or power increase, but my wallet did seem to get slightly thinner. For anti jelling a fuel additive would be worth it. Refineries add lube packages to ULSD, and as others state it's not needed my most manufacturers. Here's some testing results-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vtYgpRzUAjBr61

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTec...itive_test.pdf
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
While this topic has not come up in awhile it has been covered previously and a search might help but more thorough information is available with a Google search or a visit to some of the diesel web sites. Diesel Place is one.

There is an older study on #2 Diesel and the CP3 but most diesels are now equipped with CP4s. Not much difference when it comes to the low lube in Diesel #2 and the study pretty much says an additive with lube is prudent. It also gives a list of the best additives by name. Again a little outdated but helpful.

So the answer is yes add something for lube. You should do some research looking for more in-depth studies rather than going by word of mouth. The info here is good but limited in scientific info.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I have only used standyne performance formula,
That's what I used as well. Not so much for improved mpg, but to help protect the injector pump, since Standyne is one of the major pump manufacturers. I also carried a bottle of Power Service (silver bottle) since a master diesel mech said it was a good back-up for filling/priming a filter if filtered diesel wasn't readily available.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I use Motorcraft PM22 in my 7.3 with every fill-up. Not for gelling as it doesn’t get that cold, but for lube. Does it make a difference? No scientific proof but it still runs great.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #8

Another observation of our use of additives for anti-gel:

Don't forget about your diesel generator... the fuel lines on our Seneca run about 30-feet from the fuel tank and are exposed to the cold. The fuel lines are very prone to gelling up in the fall/winter, especially when you get caught with summer diesel in your tanks and are traveling north into the cold. More often when we ask if the fuel sold is Summer or Winter, the staff has no clue - so we have to assume that it is summer diesel (not treated for gel) and prepare.

Yes we have had our Generator lines gelled up enough that our Gen would not start in the morning. Fortunately the Seneca is layed out so that the heat from the powertrain underway was enough to thaw the lines and allow fuel to flow again. Our next fuel stops included additive until we reached warmer climate.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #9

I live in the south and store my GMC inside so I don’t need to worry about cold weather and anti-gel additives. I however have always used the Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Injector Cleaner & Performance Booster with every fill-up. After every fill-up, I pour in the appropriate amount of Diesel Kleen into my tanks.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #10

Hot Secrets Every Day Treatment
2016 GMC 3500HD SRW Diesel
smt0954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #11

For me it depends on the engine. My 99 cummins was pre ULSD. When it switched to the ULSD we had to use an additive to keep the injection pumps from failing. The sulfur is what was used to keep pumps and injectors lubricated. I used either 2 stroke oil as an additive or filtered used transmission fluid. Trans fluid was very easy for me to get so I used that more.
Emissions equipped diesels came out in 07, so using trans fluid, 2 stroke oil, etc, is not a good idea at all. Depending on the truck most used a CP3 injection pump. GM switched to a CP4 pump in 2011 ,LML engine. The CP4 is notorious for failures and it's due to lack of lubrication in the fuel. Fuel additives are pretty much a must with them. Cummins engine endorses the use of Power Service Diesel Kleen, grey bottle, and Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement, white bottle. The white bottle is for winter use, below +30*, and the grey is for summer use.
I use Power Service in my Duramax every fill up and haven't had an issue yet. Key word there is yet, but my truck, 2015, has a mere 25k on the clock.
Opti-lube, Hot Shots, Howes, and Amsoil diesel supplements are good quality ones as well. Being an Amsoil guy, I've used their additive but I came across a smoking deal on a volume supply of Power Service. So I'll be using that for quite a while.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #12

I sell a LOT of Power Service diesel fuel additive, and a fair amount of Redline too. Personally, I prefer the Hot Shots everyday fuel treatment for summer time use, and the Winter blend in cold weather. I add it every fill up. I also add their Diesel Extreme additive every 6 months. And lastly, I add a bottle of Seafoam Motor Treatment every oil change. Is all that overkill? Maybe. But I've put nearly 60K miles on my Ram since I bought it, it's over 106K miles on it now, and I've had zero fuel related issues. For the oil, I use the Hot Shots Stiction Eliminator in every oil change. I figure and ounce of protection.......
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:28 AM   #13

I use Cetane boost during the warmer months and Anti-Gel during the frigid months. Both Motorcraft

Boost - PM-22-A
AG - PM-23-A
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #14

We tried the rest we only use, Power service Products now
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote