Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #21

I keep the truck on the severe service strategy. I run Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic and 16oz of Archoil. Fuel filters are Motorcraft.

The Ford 6.7 takes 13 qts. I always make sure I have 14. The extra quart I pour into the engine after its drained but before putting the drain bolt back. This is to flush out the bottom of the pan with clean oil.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #22
CAG

Dino, and short interval changes where there is no reason to do that (severe conditions) is a waste of money and oil. Most all vehicles today come from the factory with synthetic (yes I know there are exceptions). European vehicles have been recommending longer intervals for years. A 2002 BMW I had was a year or 10K for changes.

If in doubt, the next time you change oil draw a sample and send it off. They will tell you if the oil is dead or can go longer. Synthetic has been tested in over the road vehicle up to 100K miles with regular filter changes.

I see many comments about synthetic is a waste of money. Then the person changes their dino oil every 3K and they could be running synthetic for 7-10K. That logic escapes me.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I see many comments about synthetic is a waste of money. Then the person changes their dino oil every 3K and they could be running synthetic for 7-10K. That logic escapes me.
Synthetic isn't a waste of money but the guy changing his oil with synthetic every 3K is. Might as well use the cheaper dino oil if changing that often. I think that is the point people are trying make. Still lots of old school thought on oil changing out there.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Synthetic isn't a waste of money but the guy changing his oil with synthetic every 3K is. Might as well use the cheaper dino oil if changing that often. I think that is the point people are trying make. Still lots of old school thought on oil changing out there.
Changing every 3k kinda depends. I'm running synthetic, it's got just over 3k on it and probably should be changed.
But, this is my old school thought on changing it; that oil has been in my truck since 7/19, the truck is put away for the winter so its gonna be in there another 4-5 months. It didn't get changed at the end of last year, and it ain't getting changed this year or prolly not even next year. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Dino, and short interval changes where there is no reason to do that (severe conditions) is a waste of money and oil. Most all vehicles today come from the factory with synthetic (yes I know there are exceptions). European vehicles have been recommending longer intervals for years. A 2002 BMW I had was a year or 10K for changes.

If in doubt, the next time you change oil draw a sample and send it off. They will tell you if the oil is dead or can go longer. Synthetic has been tested in over the road vehicle up to 100K miles with regular filter changes.

I would love to know which manufacture of which diesel motor factory fills synthetic....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Changing every 3k kinda depends. I'm running synthetic, it's got just over 3k on it and probably should be changed.
But, this is my old school thought on changing it; that oil has been in my truck since 7/19, the truck is put away for the winter so its gonna be in there another 4-5 months. It didn't get changed at the end of last year, and it ain't getting changed this year or prolly not even next year. Lol!
New trucks and cars have a oil life indicator that indicates when to change the oil... on my 2010 avalanche it is around 7k give or take... on my 2019 diesel it is right around 7k as well ... towing it is closer to 6k...

the newer ones even count down regardless of mileage and will go to zero after a year... because you need to change it at least annually...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote