Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

Diesel Repair Expensive?

Every time the discussion comes up between Diesel vs. Gas someone always chimes in that Diesels are way more expensive to maintain and repair.

I think we all agree regular maintenance is slightly more for a diesel simply because the volume of fluids is greated plus the additional fuel filter service that is much more frequent on a diesel vs a gasser.

As for Repair...

My 2007.5 LMM Duramax just had its first trip in to the shop, I braced myself because I was told several times "just wait, you will see" how much more it is to fix a diesel.

Last Monday, I went out to my truck and it wouldn't crank. The DIC and dash lights would flash or 1/2 the pixels would light up and the other 1/2 were dark. No power door locks, windows, radio, dome lights, etc. In the days leading up there was no indication of a problem, no CEL, everything was running fine.

Tried scanning, no codes -- I was at a loss so I took it in.

Shop diagnosis was the Body Control Module (BCM) computer crashed. Required replacement BCM and a new software flash. Additionally a glow plug went out on the 4th cylinder.

I was nervous I was going to get a multi-thousand $ repair, certainly after everything that folks say about the cost of diesel repair.

Now expense is a relative term, I understand that. For me I was very pleased when the final repair bill was $919.30.

Don't get me wrong, $900 is a lot of money, but for a 7+ year old truck with 110k miles this is my first repair and I don't think having to put $1k or so every 7+ years is too unexpected.

Time will tell, maybe this is just the first, I certainly hope not.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with others so they have at least one example of what this diesel owner’s actual repair and associate cost were.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

I purchase all the filters for my 6.7l online at Dieselfiltersonline. I buy them in quantity [oil, fuel, air] because shipping is the same. My 6.7 oil capacity is 13qts and is changed twice a year. Fuel filters[primary/secondary] costs around $50 for both and are changed every 18k. Air filter is $13 and changed when the fuel filters are done. I do all the work myself so $ saved there. In these somewhat newer diesel engines, proper maintenance is critical, but not that expensive. You're right, $900 in 7 years isn't bad at all. Of course, if the HPFP on my engine decides to grenade, it's major $, as with most fuel injected engines.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Every time the discussion comes up between Diesel vs. Gas someone always chimes in that Diesels are way more expensive to maintain and repair.

I think we all agree regular maintenance is slightly more for a diesel simply because the volume of fluids is greated plus the additional fuel filter service that is much more frequent on a diesel vs a gasser.

As for Repair...

My 2007.5 LMM Duramax just had its first trip in to the shop, I braced myself because I was told several times "just wait, you will see" how much more it is to fix a diesel.

Last Monday, I went out to my truck and it wouldn't crank. The DIC and dash lights would flash or 1/2 the pixels would light up and the other 1/2 were dark. No power door locks, windows, radio, dome lights, etc. In the days leading up there was no indication of a problem, no CEL, everything was running fine.

Tried scanning, no codes -- I was at a loss so I took it in.

Shop diagnosis was the Body Control Module (BCM) computer crashed. Required replacement BCM and a new software flash. Additionally a glow plug went out on the 4th cylinder.

I was nervous I was going to get a multi-thousand $ repair, certainly after everything that folks say about the cost of diesel repair.

Now expense is a relative term, I understand that. For me I was very pleased when the final repair bill was $919.30.

Don't get me wrong, $900 is a lot of money, but for a 7+ year old truck with 110k miles this is my first repair and I don't think having to put $1k or so every 7+ years is too unexpected.

Time will tell, maybe this is just the first, I certainly hope not.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with others so they have at least one example of what this diesel owner’s actual repair and associate cost were.
My next truck will be a Duramax as I know they are very reliable as compared to other diesels. A friend has a three year old Cummins and he has gone Bankrupt trying to keep it on the road. I have a 15 liter Cummins in my big truck and I also have just about gone broke keeping it on the road. My 2011 Tundra so far has cost me ZERO in maintenance and repairs as it came with a seven year extended warranty and all maintenance costs included for eight years which I purchased up front for $500. So far there haven't been any repairs at all. I got zero percent interest so the extra $500 up front was worth it.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

My 12 Ram CTD has been flawless for 30 months. The money I save over a gasser towing covers the extra $ for oil changes, fuel filter. I don't think anyone can bash the other brands because their brand has had no issues. They all have issues. Anyone that thinks theirs is bullet proof is dreaming. Main issue with diesels is they have a better chance of having a major repair expense. Doesn't mean it will happen, just that it is a possibility. Very rarely do you hear of a $9-11,000 repair on a gasser. Like most diesel owners I'll take my chances so I can have a better towing experience.
Problem is we don't always get the whole story when someone has a problem. When someone says a friend has had so much trouble he finally sold it. Well, was it tuned, did he let it warm up before nailing the gas pedal or did he DD it all over town and not run the crude out of it once in awhile?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

For the record, my friend is a professional driver with over 50 years experience over the road. He knows what he is doing... I have 20 years over the road with 2 million accident free miles and I think I know what I'm doing also. His Cummins is junk so is mine plan and simple!!!!!
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #6

Total cost of ownership includes a few things that often get overlooked.
You can take a 15 year view including the end of life selling price for the diesel truck against a 10 year life including end of life selling price and you will discover that the diesel did pretty well.

Cost of ownership should also include finance charges if they exist. The other day I read that the average payment in the USA is about $425.00/month and if that same amount was put in a RothIRA from age 30 to 70 you would have 5 million dollars.

Keeping a truck for as long as it's possible will pay big in the end.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

I have had several different vehicles and I have not experienced significant repair expense with any of them.

My wife and I had a 1990 Toyota Camry for 18 years (car was hers when we started dating and on through marriage) - only repair beyond normal maintenance was replacement of a front wheel bearing. I had a 1992 Mazda B2600i compact pickup for 20 years: one repair outside of normal maintenance was ECMreplacement. The least reliable vehicle I have experienced was the minivan we got: a 2004 Honda Odyssey: key locks, electric windows, heater blower motor, and a front motor mount; all broke and replaced. I have had my Jeep Patriot for six years with no issues; my Ram 2500 for two years with no issues.

I think there is a valid point of the individual design requiring greater maintenance dollars: the Honda minivan requires replacement of the timing belt, an expensive visit for maintenance in my opinion due to poor design (why not use a timing chain?). My diesel pickup has no maintenance items anywhere near that cost. So, do diesel pickups cost less to maintain than minivans?

I think there is no doubt that regular maintenance items are higher on the diesel trucks, but I don't know that it is true that repairs are more expensive. I think so much depends on how you care for a machine and treat it that it is hard to say.

Everybody has their opinion. There is a forum on the web for each of the diesel pickups; you will find the brand represented by the forum you are reading is superior to the other two brands. You will find those with diesel trucks think diesels are better and not more expensive; those with gasoline trucks think gas is better.

Politics, religion, trucks, motor oil, and dog versus cat: never going to get any agreement on these, and whatever a person has or does I best, everything else is no good.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Do most people care what kind of truck anyone prefers? Just buy what you want/can afford and live with it.

Lots of folk like to stir the truck wars, who cares. Many are happy with all the big three or they would not be in business.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
Politics, religion, trucks, motor oil, and dog versus cat: never going to get any agreement on these, and whatever a person has or does I best, everything else is no good.
Very well put. Having towed with both gas/diesel, the extra maintenance costs on the diesel are well worth it to me to have that kind of towing experience.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Site Team

"Diesel Repair Expensive?"

I think a good answer to the OP`s post would come from anyone who has experienced a significant repair bill with a diesel engine, regardless of brand.
One example I can offer is my FIL`s Duramax dually 3500 needed an injector job at around 100K miles, after warranty. Cost was $4200.00.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post

I think there is a valid point of the individual design requiring greater maintenance dollars: the Honda minivan requires replacement of the timing belt, an expensive visit for maintenance in my opinion due to poor design (why not use a timing chain?).
Great overall post! You said much of what I was thinking.

I do want to answer your question. There are a few reasons they use a belt and not a chain. Honda makes the smoothest running engines of anyone. Part of the reason is that they don't use a chain. Also a belt is that much less weight. Honda's for the most part are at the top or close to the top in fuel efficiency for each class of vehicle they compete in. So every little bit of weight savings is important to the design.

Finally it's expensive to replace the belt and has to be done something like every 60k because they are interference engines. An interference engine is called that because the pistons are allowed to move into the space that an open valve would occupy. Just not when the valve is open. If the belt breaks, or if the belt is installed improperly the pistons can hit the valves, and well, guess how much a new Honda engine costs...

That said, the Cadillac CTS and Lambda platform use interference engines too.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #12

That's a good story OP, and I'm glad you were happy with the repair. But I'm afraid I'm missing something; what about this BCM is unique to a diesel?

Sure, there is the possibility that just because it's a diesel, the very same (or significantly similar) BCM might cost you more than a comparable 1/2 ton (right or wrong, it just is sometimes). A BCM is a BCM, not much difference between the BCMs (there are multiples) on my Sierra 1500 and the one on a 2500 or 3500 (diesel or gas).

So I ask; what am I missing?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #13

DocBrown:

Interesting engine education on the Honda - something I didn't know.

It brings to mind something else: mechanical things are more efficient and reliable than ever. This is clear to those of us of a "certain age." On the other hand, mechanical things are much more complex than they used to be. So, it is not surprising that they cost more to fix when they do break.

Perfection is elusive!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Total cost of ownership includes a few things that often get overlooked.
You can take a 15 year view including the end of life selling price for the diesel truck against a 10 year life including end of life selling price and you will discover that the diesel did pretty well.

Cost of ownership should also include finance charges if they exist. The other day I read that the average payment in the USA is about $425.00/month and if that same amount was put in a RothIRA from age 30 to 70 you would have 5 million dollars.

Keeping a truck for as long as it's possible will pay big in the end.
Must be a Ramsey fan.....I am.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

My experience with my diesel is yes it cost more for maintenance but it is worth it to me ... mostly 100.00 for an oil change with synthetic when I do it myself ,but all vehicles cost money to maintain .... I have heard of a number of duramaxes needing injectors but a guy at the diesel stop told me the problem is that they need a 2micron filter system in the usa .... over in the area where they are built they don't because their diesel is strained more than here so if I ever got a duramax I would definetly do what it took to filter it right
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #16

oh by the way I have a 1995 f 350 ford with the 7.3
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #17

Diesel Repair Expensive?

oh go this old thing again, i know a guy who knows a guy that had a cummins that needed lots of repairs, or a honda that went 5 million miles on 1 oil change and didnt need anything

at the end of the day they are all just mechanical devices that suffer from problems at 1 point in their life, be it small or large, they are all made by humans and humans make mistakes, could be a bad casting on a part cause the temp was 1 degree warmer then it needs to be when they made the part and that developed a hairline crack that over the years made it break.

i know people that have the infamous 7.3 with nothing but issues, but everyone says they are the best diesel since the invention of diesels, i also know people that are in the shop once a month with their tundra that they told me was the best truck ever,

so after all this ranting, just go drive **** till you find what fits the bill
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #18

I've owned an '05 Ram 3500 diesel (bought used) for 6 years. In that time, there's never been a wrench laid on the engine, and only a leaking tail shaft seal replaced in the transmission. But the other stuff that can go wrong on a gas or diesel truck..............well that's another story. It's been a nickel and dime ownership experience. Front brakes and rotors at 44000 miles, front sway bar links and bushings, a power steering pump that grenaded while driving, and most recently a bizarre electrical system problem that was cured by replacing all the battery cables (They were over $300 from Dodge, couldn't find any exact fit aftermarket equivalents).
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Must be a Ramsey fan.....I am.
LOL - "live like no one else"

We are officially BS 5,4,6. Last loan I took was for my first TT before we saw the light. Been a cash only family since.

Guess I am able wonder off topic in my own thread.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
But I'm afraid I'm missing something; what about this BCM is unique to a diesel
You are not missing anything, I just wanted to share my experience with my first trip to the shop with my Diesel. I have no idea if the BCM in my truck is specific to a diesel or if it is just like the BCM in every other truck gas or diesel.

My point was to simply share the cost associated with my first issue with a diesel truck. Everytime the discussion comes up gas vs diesel many folks are so quick to point out how much more a diesel truck is to repair when compared to a gasser. I didn't find this particular repair to be so expensive that is should sway someone away from one engine type of another. I can only share what my experience is.