Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #21

Check out the Hensley Arrow it's a great hitch Its not cheap but it will solve your problem
HensleyMfg.com
Lpeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #22

It's not the hitch, you need more truck-I would go all the way to 1 ton (not dually)-bigger brakes, better suspension, better tires-you will not regret it. A friend tried the 150 with a toy hauler and had to redo the brakes at the end of every season. I travel nationwide every year for work and we see a lot of light duty trucks an suv's towing trailers in the ditch every year, In an emergency situation on the road the lighter vehicles cannot handle the quick maneuvers required in a panic avoidance situation-they should be outlawed and the manufacturer should be sued for the ratings they put on these light trucks, it is criminal. Get a 3/4 for sure but do yourself a favor and get the 1 ton, you will not regret it later.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #23

You can solve your problem the same way I did. Go buy yourself a F-450 King Ranch crew cab diesel, then you can tow any trailer you want to. And no more white knuckle trips, plus the improved ride is amazing. You and your family’s safety is #1 priority.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #24

Since you were towing in 60MPH side winds, it pretty much doesn't matter. The trailer is going to move.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #25

Lighter trailer or larger truck. Personally, I'd opt for a 1 ton truck. Happy Trails!
Gusto_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #26

2 slides at the very back of the 36' trailer makes for too little tongue weight. You won't be able to pack anything behind the axles of that trailer.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #27

Propride or no Propride, I'm certain that F150 is overloaded.

An XLT probably has a payload of around 1800lbs.

I have a Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS and the TW is 950lbs and we pack pretty light.

The 32TSBH is going to be way heavier than that. You are in 3/4 pickup truck territory.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #28

Experiences with sway

2017 F150 crew cab short box. Plenty of pulling power but white knuckle sway despite Reese cam sway/equalizer hitch. Put on load range E tires. Better but still high stress. Added Reese sway bar tightened down tight on highway. Still stressful but not white knuckle.
nickbnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I would move up to a 3/4 ton gasser or a 1 ton diesel or gas... You asked and if you are going to be out in the mountains that is the solution for that trailer. You won't have to worry about it and pack smartly. You can do it but if you are asking then you are probably not 100% sold on it.
If you keep your current truck just make sure you have some sort of towing insurance for your truck and for your trailer.

I towed a Octane T26 to AK and back with a 6.2 GMC it did it with some mishaps that weren't detrimental but could have been. My wife made me buy a new truck when we got back

Good luck with your decision.
I had the same setup as you but with Chevy...1500 Silverado LTZ with 6.2 Max Tow pkg towing T26 Y. I was naive and didn't realize the limitations of the payload (2030 lb) and 1250# tongue weight limit. Even loaded properly the setup have me some spooky moments...enough that after 3 years of towing it I've traded it in for a 2020 Silverado 3500HD SRW. Just broke in the Duramax and in two weeks after I've replaced the trailer tires I'll get to see how much better it tows.
Formulaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #30

The sway battle can be fought by understanding how trailer tongue weight affects both trailer and the tow vehicle. The trailer needs high enough tongue weight to properly place the trailer COG position, centralized loading of the trailer is ideal. It lowers the tongue weight and keeps weight from its far ends increasing stability. On the TV side higher trailer tongue weights destabilize the TV in a way the WDH doesn’t fix. Ideally it’s best to find that balance in TW and trailer loading to keep both stable.
HDRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulaone View Post
I had the same setup as you but with Chevy...1500 Silverado LTZ with 6.2 Max Tow pkg towing T26 Y. I was naive and didn't realize the limitations of the payload (2030 lb) and 1250# tongue weight limit. Even loaded properly the setup have me some spooky moments...enough that after 3 years of towing it I've traded it in for a 2020 Silverado 3500HD SRW. Just broke in the Duramax and in two weeks after I've replaced the trailer tires I'll get to see how much better it tows.
I didn't have any trouble had the same set up as you but a Sierra... went to AK and back the drive was fine but the truck motor just isn't built for all that hard pulling all day it has the power but not the sturdiness and air flow needed... coils, plug wires, etc... Now I have a 2019 3500, it isn't as fun though pushing the peddle and letting the tires spin. My payload on my 1500 was north of 22k lbs though as I had the 3.73's...

when you do tow with it you won't even know it is back there the 10 speed is supposed to be pretty awesome the 6 speed is not slouch though...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I didn't have any trouble had the same set up as you but a Sierra... went to AK and back the drive was fine but the truck motor just isn't built for all that hard pulling all day it has the power but not the sturdiness and air flow needed... coils, plug wires, etc... Now I have a 2019 3500, it isn't as fun though pushing the peddle and letting the tires spin. My payload on my 1500 was north of 22k lbs though as I had the 3.73's...

when you do tow with it you won't even know it is back there the 10 speed is supposed to be pretty awesome the 6 speed is not slouch though...
I think for me it was trying to balance the tongue weight with the payload of the truck. I'd added a hard tonneau cover, side step bars and that alone to away about 125# of payload. Add my family and i had to carefully distribute weight in the TT. In the end I usually got around 11% on the tongue but probably would have been better at 13%. Also I felt that the trailer felt like a huge sail...and the truck not planted enough to deal with semis passing me.
Formulaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulaone View Post
I think for me it was trying to balance the tongue weight with the payload of the truck. I'd added a hard tonneau cover, side step bars and that alone to away about 125# of payload. Add my family and i had to carefully distribute weight in the TT. In the end I usually got around 11% on the tongue but probably would have been better at 13%. Also I felt that the trailer felt like a huge sail...and the truck not planted enough to deal with semis passing me.

I didn't have that I did upgrade the shocks and when with D rated tires on the truck it towed just fine... even out west and in AK.. when you hook up that 1ton you will go oh... I sure miss doing burnouts... because you won't have to think about the trailer you can hardly tell is behind you....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote