Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Different hitch or truck?

Here is my problem, I have a 2019 F 150 XLT Crew Cab with the Max tow package 3.5 L Eco boost twin turbo V 6, with a Equalizer 4 point hitch. Mytrailer is a Jayco 32TSBH unloaded weight 8,705 lbs. and Gross weight 10,950. My truck is suppose to be able to tow 13,200 lbs. Last year while towing on interstate 80 in Iowa with strong side winds at 60mph the trailer sway function came on and I had to slow to 50mph to feel like I was not going to lose control. So I am concerned about driving to Vermont this year on vacation and Colorado next year. I am wondering about buying a ProPride hitch to take care of the sway, or buying a new F 250 with tow package. The truck has n o problem pulling the trailer, but the sway is a big concern!
steeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Propride for sure. I own one.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

Where are you located?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #4

Rock Island Illinois
steeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum Steeled.

I have a similar trailer and find the tongue can get real heavy very easily. How are your payload numbers? I was surprised how easily I surpassed my payload rating even with my 3/4 ton. I’m paying a payload penalty with the weight of the Diesel engine.

I use the Husky Centerline TS WDH and have good results overall. I’ll still feel a strong crosswind but still a good setup.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Thats too much trailer for you F150. I'm guessing you have the 145" WB. If so it's way too short for a 36' 9500 lb TT.
I see that the TT comes with the dry TW at 800 lbs and the UVW at 8700 lbs per brochure. Thats under 10% unloaded. Loaded up you'll need a minimum of 950 lbs on the tongue and for better towing near 1200 lbs.
You could do the Pro Pride but you'll probably be exceeding the trucks payload rating all loaded up.
ford reduced the dry weight of the F150's by going to aluminum. That makes it worse for towing as the heavier object now moves the lighter object easier.
I would opt for the F250-350. Might as well go F350 as it's only a little $ more and then you'll have all the truck you'll need for the future.
You don't give any weights. So you really need to weigh your setup and get back to us.

FWIW I tow a 9500 lb 31' TT with a 2018 Ram CC LB 4x4 6.4. 1350 tongue weight. For the most part its solid. I still get moved around some by semi's. Not sway stuff just some slight steering corrections.
No way would I tow your TT or my TT with an F150. BTDT with a 7200 lb 31' TT and after moving up from a 2010 F150 Max Tow 145" WB to a 2012 Ram 2500 with the Cummins it was clear which truck performs better.
The Cummins aside the 2500 had the beef to override any TT imputs.
Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton will be way better than your F150. Biggest draw back will be the horrible MPG's empty non towing. It's the price you pay for safety.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #7

Based on this...
https://www.ford.com/services/assets...-150&year=2019

Your payload could be as little as 2050, but as much as 26xx.

If 2050, and your hitch weight approaches 1200 like a previous respmder said, that doesn't leave a lot of room for passengers and stuff in the bed.

Given that it is probably actually higher than that, a Propride is a heckuva lot cheaper than a new truck, which I still believe is a great option.

I'm also not sure your tow rating is 13200. That's the MAX tow rating for that engine. It's lower if you don't have 3.55 on rear and one place I read said it required 20" wheels too. Also less if 4x4.

Larry
Old 02-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #8

Just an opinion because I've been there and done that.....too much trailer, not enough truck.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #9

Ditto on too much trailer, not enough truck.

How much Ford says you can haul has very little to do with how much trailer you can hook to that truck.

PAYLOAD. That's what matters. Find out the payload your truck is rated for and start subtracting. Start by subtracting your tongue weight. A rough tongue weight would be your fully loaded weight x .13. Subtract that from your payload. Then subtract your driver, all passengers, and ALL the gear you carry in your truck. Have a capper on the truck?....subtract it's weight.

Don't exceed your payload.

Your truck's payload will likely be on a yellow sticker on one of the doorjambs.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #10

I have had the same issue in Iowa with my combo. Never in any other state. Iowa is extremely windy, hence all the wind turbines.

Personally I would start off with cat scaling your combo, fully load, as you normally would travel. There is a good link regarding understanding what the three measurements.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #11

I would move up to a 3/4 ton gasser or a 1 ton diesel or gas... You asked and if you are going to be out in the mountains that is the solution for that trailer. You won't have to worry about it and pack smartly. You can do it but if you are asking then you are probably not 100% sold on it.
If you keep your current truck just make sure you have some sort of towing insurance for your truck and for your trailer.

As others have stated check your payload number along with the tires and their load rating with that trailer you need a load rating of at least 113 which is 2535lbs per tire.
Both Chevy and Ford have new gas power plants in their HD lineup could be good could be bad.. you can also look at a 3 year old HD to lessen your financial obligations.

I towed a Octane T26 to AK and back with a 6.2 GMC it did it with some mishaps that weren't detrimental but could have been. My wife made me buy a new truck when we got back

I thought that you weren't supposed to have the trailer sway control on when you had a WDH with sway control?

Good luck with your decision.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #12

Even though your F150 has the max tow and is very capable, and the trailer comes in under the trucks capabilities weight wise, it still very easily can be to much trailer for the truck. It's all to common that people look at the weight capacities and think everything is good to go. Mostly because that is all that you can usually find published.
There are other things that need to considered. Wheel base of the tow vehicle, distance from rear wheels of the TV to the axles of the trailer, and the overall surface area of the trailer.
When the trailer is that long, there is a lot of surface area for winds to push against. You may find even with a Propride hitch, that much surface area will still be affected in high winds. With that you will experience the "tail wagging the dog". The actual physics of it us something few people ever consider.
Think about it this way. Everything else being the same; same truck, same weight, same trailer tongue weight, same hitch you currently have, same trailer weight, same cross winds. That truck will be effected a lot less if the trailer were 5 foot shorter, and even less yet if the trailer were 10 feet shorter. If the trailer were a flat bed but everything else was the same (weight wise), you would not get the sway effect from the cross winds.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #13

I agree that a heavier truck would be the best solution, but having used a ProPride hitch I have to say it is awesome. Also, I know of a lightly used one in north central Ohio for about $1600
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #14

All the replies are correct but sometimes it's just wise to park it.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeled View Post
Here is my problem, I have a 2019 F 150 XLT Crew Cab with the Max tow package 3.5 L Eco boost twin turbo V 6, with a Equalizer 4 point hitch. Mytrailer is a Jayco 32TSBH unloaded weight 8,705 lbs. and Gross weight 10,950. My truck is suppose to be able to tow 13,200 lbs. Last year while towing on interstate 80 in Iowa with strong side winds at 60mph the trailer sway function came on and I had to slow to 50mph to feel like I was not going to lose control. So I am concerned about driving to Vermont this year on vacation and Colorado next year. I am wondering about buying a ProPride hitch to take care of the sway, or buying a new F 250 with tow package. The truck has n o problem pulling the trailer, but the sway is a big concern!
A few replies suggest you are overloaded. I’m afraid I agree. In my experience you will be over the Rear GAWR before reaching the “max tow” weight. If your TT is in the 12k# range you are likely in the 250 range. But to dig a bit deeper, does your hitch have a sway control? If not that will contribute to your problems as will towing the TT in a not level state.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 AM   #16

Quote:
You didn't give us a very important number associated with your truck, that number being the Cargo Capacity of your truck. If I had to guess, it's no more than 2,000#. Also, what is the GVWR of your trailer? Another thing you should do, is weight your truck loaded for the road, then weigh the entire combination both with the WDH unhooked, and hooked up.

I have a "unicorn" of a tow vehicle, long wheel base and both Max Tow and HDPP with a cargo capacity of 2286#. I might just be able to tow your trailer and remain within all the R-GAWR, GVWR, CC, GCWR, and tow capacity numbers using my truck, but I still wouldn't. I consider that too much for a 1/2 ton.

If my trailer was the one you have, I would either have a 3/4 ton gasser, or a 1 ton model in either gas or diesel.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #17

Thumbs down Experience

Quote:
Here's my half nickel worth...I traded a Jayflight 185RB for a Salem 241QBXL. The Jayco was a puppy, the Salem was a full grown Bull dog. First trip out was from the dealer, to Cimarron Canyon New Mexico, load equalizer and a night and day (read-nightmare) towing experience, even though I had an Ultra-Fab load equalizer with sway control on a 2015 F-150 XLT tow rated at 7,200 lbs. The Jayco was 3,200, the Salem 4,200 unloaded. Had very little to do with the weight. When I got home, first thing to do was move spare tire off the tail end to underframe. Added another battery, added residential queen mattress, added solar. Everything 'added' was ahead of front axle. Sway got better, but even in 30 mph crosswind it was a handf ull. And semi trucks sneaking up behind you could easily knock you off course. Even changing the Chinese gummies to Goodyear tires helped, but not enough to preclude some white knuckle moments. Loaded measured tongue weight was 610 lbs. after all the relocations. Trailer is 26 ft 11 in long, unloaded tongue 499 per mfg. Lippert chassis.
Got tired of 'patching' quality issues and traded for a 2018 Jayco Jayfeather 23RL. Now pulling 4,850 lbs unloaded, 27 ft 3 inches (4 inches longer) and 535 lb tongue weight. Moved spare to underbody, added battery, and increased propane cap to 60 lbs, measured loaded tongue weight now 688 lbs, enough increase that I invested in an Anderson load equalizer hitch. Not that the Ultra Fab didn't do a good job, it was getting 'loose'. BUT FIRST! Camping World set my UF hitch up nose down. The trailer pulled fine behind the Ford, I fixed it when I got home. I loaded the trailer, took of to Texas Motor Speedway, loaded, adjusted it was an easy trip with 20 mph tail wind, and 25 mph cross wind. Traded for a 2019 Ram 1500, which did not improve my tow experience, which was re-acquired by FCA, and now I pull with a Nissan Titan. (The Titan has the highest rating of the vehicles I have owned.) But while searching for a solution to 'sway' in the Salem, I ran across this: Wheelbase.
The wheelbase of the Salem was 18 inches SHORTER than the Jayco. That is 14 inches less between the hitch ball and the axle center on these specific tts. It to me makes a difference. That's my experience, I'm sticking to it...
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #18

Soft Radial Tires

Quote:
While everyone is correct on the weight, your sway is coming from your nice soft ride tires. Go out to you 150 and push back and forth on the rear corner. You will be able to move it back and forth 6 or 8 inches. While doing that you will see the front of the truck is also moving back and forth. Go to the Dealer lot and do that with a superduty. It will feel rock solid.
Get some stiff side wall tires on the rear and you will see a noticeable difference. (but you will still be over weight)
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #19

Agreed. Go with a ProPride. I Have done 10000+ miles with ProPride, including round trip to Alaska. And 100,000 miles on the predecessor Hensley.

Regardless, crosswinds are not to be trifled with. That said, you may be running close to the margins. I shoot for 1/3 more truck capacity than trailer. Yeah, that gives me a margin of 50%, which means I don’t worry about it.
Stmaplebury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #20

Quote:
I have a bigger trailer (2018 eagle 322rlok )that I towed 3200 miles through the blue ridge mountains last april with some of the grades as much as 9% my truck is a 2018 platinum f150 3.5 eco boost, also with the max tow - mine is rated at 12,700 and the gvwr of my trailer is 11,700 I loaded it so my tongue weight is right at 1170lbs - I only have about 800lbs of payload left but I put nearly everything in the trailer.

The built in engine braking worked flawlessly down the numerous steep decents.

I use a hensley arrow (very similar to the propride technology wise)that I’ve had purchased used for 1300 in 2004 - I had Zero sway the entire trip.

On my return north I went through a storm that had forcast winds upto 50mph

I also use a haul guage to verify when loading up.

I also make sure that I run my truck tires at max air pressure.

I averaged 9.6 mpg, got 11 in FL and 8.6 in the mountains.

I did add airbags that I ran at 30psi to firm up the ride ( it was a little too bouncy before them)

I need to be able to park my truck in a parking garage, and only tow about 10% of my miles.

You can certainly go with a bigger truck, but I prefer the sportiness, better ride, maneuverability, having 4A in Buffalo winters, being able to use a normal car wash, much better overall fuel economy - just to name a few benefits.

That being said If I was towing a majority of the time I and didn’t need to use a parking garage with only 6’8” of clearance I would have gotten the F350 diesel primarily for the convenience of the extra payload.

Good luck with your choice!
2018 F150 Platinum SC, FX4, 3.5-EB, Max tow - 12,700-Updates;Hensley Arrow 1400/14,000lbs, Battle Born Lithium 200ah, Victron Energy BMV-712 & VE 100/50, (6x160 ->960 Watts)- Flexible Renogy Solar, Micro Air Soft Start, RVlock, Westinghouse iGen4500DF, EMS-HW50C, Splendide WDC7100XC Washer/Dryer, Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL camera
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote