Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2022, 05:53 AM   #1

Disable Truck Towing Features?

I asked this question on the GM truck from and I got no replies so I thought I’d try here.

I tow with a 2019 Yukon Denali XL. It has an auto leveling system and onboard sway control. It apparently will apply the electric trailer brakes if the computer senses sway.

When I bought my trailer and WDH with sway control, the trailer dealer told me to disable the tow vehicle sway control because the hitch and the vehicle would “fight” each other. He also said to pull the fuse for the self leveling system when towing because towing with it would “blow out” the air shocks.

The only way to disable the sway control is to turn off the stabilitrak system. I’m not sure that’s necessary. I’ve also not read anything about the deed to disable the self leveling system. In fact, the hitch manual says to allow the self leveling system to adjust and then set up the hitch.

Does anyone have experience with this? Did I get bad information from the dealer? Thanks.
nfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfisherman View Post
I asked this question on the GM truck from and I got no replies so I thought I’d try here.

I tow with a 2019 Yukon Denali XL. It has an auto leveling system and onboard sway control. It apparently will apply the electric trailer brakes if the computer senses sway.

When I bought my trailer and WDH with sway control, the trailer dealer told me to disable the tow vehicle sway control because the hitch and the vehicle would “fight” each other. He also said to pull the fuse for the self leveling system when towing because towing with it would “blow out” the air shocks.

The only way to disable the sway control is to turn off the stabilitrak system. I’m not sure that’s necessary. I’ve also not read anything about the deed to disable the self leveling system. In fact, the hitch manual says to allow the self leveling system to adjust and then set up the hitch.

Does anyone have experience with this? Did I get bad information from the dealer? Thanks.
It's unlikely anyone is going to wade into whether or not you should be disabling systems on your tow vehicle. The only conundrum for me would be if you have a sensor which detects sway and applies the electric brakes, how that would be in conflict with a purely mechanical system intended to prevent sway. Seems to me the sensor wouldn't activate if the mechanical system is working as it should. The sensor reacts to sway, it doesn't prevent sway, it's intention is to prevent sway from getting out of control.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:26 AM   #3

No experience with a GM Denali.

I suspect GM has many videos on their website regarding these systems, I know RAM does.i recommend reviewing them.

In regards to the air shocks, is your payload within the TV's payload limit? If so, it was designed for the load.

As for your stabilitrak, I would not expect them to fight each other. There has been a few post over the years (been a long time since I read one). That it has saved them. I recall one, where someone took a freeway ramp to fast, and the system applied appropriate breaking and corrected their error, preventing an accident.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. You’re both thinking the way that I am. My trailer weight/tongue weight are within the ratings of my Yukon. From that standpoint, the self leveling system should be able to handle it.

As for stability control, I towed the camper a long distance to get it home,, with some mountains included. ( Oh boy!, that was fun with $6 gas.) I felt no problems with sway or sway control.

I have a White Hawk 26RK and it tows very well. I don’t think that either the hitch sway control or the vehicle’s electronic sway control have to do much.

I think I’ll leave well enough alone and not disable anything.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #5

what does the owners manual say?

there have been instances in the past where the manf has said to turn off the anti sway feature if you have sway control on the trailer...

i don't know if that is internet fodder or the truth...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #6

The manual discusses electronic sway control that is available on some trailers but it says nothing about mechanical sway control that most of us have on our hitches. I’ve decided to not make any changes. I towed the trailer 850 miles home plus a couple of other short trips with the auto leveling and vehicle sway control on. I didn’t notice any problems so I don’t plan to turn anything off.

I asked the question because I’ve had two RV dealers tell me that I should disable these features when towing but I can’t find anything to support that.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:09 AM   #7

I suggest that the RV dealers should say something more along the lines that if you encounter any strange issues with swaying and handling, to turn off the stability control and see if by doing so the issues no longer occur. Otherwise, leave it on. ~CA
Old 08-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #8

[QUOTE=nfisherman;1059038]I asked this question on the GM truck from and I got no replies so I thought I’d try here.

Does anyone have experience with this? Did I get bad information from the dealer? Thanks

You don't say what brand of WDH you have, so it is hard to comment. I have been looking at a Andersen WDH. I the research I saw that if you have a late model Chevy, GMC, or Ford with vehicle sway control, you have to turn it off when you use the WDH. Otherwise it will cause you to lose control of the truck.
linedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #9

I have a Camco EAz-Lift Recurve R6 hitch. I’ve found nothing in my instructions with the hitch that say I should disable the vehicle’s sway control. According to my GMC manual, my vehicle will automatically apply the electric trailer brakes if it senses sway. There’s nothing in the manual about disabling the vehicle’s sway control if the hitch has a mechanical sway control. I’ve towed a few thousand miles with both the hitch sway control and the vehicle sway control and the vehicle auto level on. All seems to work well.