Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #1

Do I need a Tow package?

I’m planning on upgrading my T.V. My current truck is a 2008 f150 with a 4.6 v8. It is under powered and getting old like it’s owner. I pull a 21’ Jayco Jayco Jay Flight. Dry weight of 4223 lbs and GVWR of 6000 lbs. I’ll be buying used so my choices are some what limited. Ideally I’d like to find something with a full tow package. My question is if I find say a Dodge Ram with the 5.7 , a 3.55 rear end and factory hitch would this work? Brake controller can be added and mirrors upgraded. Thanks in advance
Dwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #2

why limit yourself to one manufacturer?

when you look at a truck look at the yellow sticker on the b pillar or have them take a pic and send it to you.. that will give you the payload which in your case should keep you in 1500/150 territory...

the tow packages are a better option as they have all the controllers, coolers, gearing, mirrors etc... adding on after the fact is fine but the cost delta between one with towing already done is probably negligible...

if you take 12% of 6000lbs you are at 720lbs plus a hitch and other stuff... if you are maxed out.. that takes away from your payload plus whatever you put in the truck or on the truck sense it left the factory... lots of information on here about weighting etc...
good luck
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #3

In my opinion its like a parachute or a gun - Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

Also, if you're looking at 1/2T Ram trucks in model years prior to about 2016 or so, you'll be woefully disappointed in the payload numbers. Ram spent that time upgrading the HD trucks to get more payload. It wasn't until later they began to eek out some decent payload in their light duty (1/2T) trucks.

Meanwhile, GM and Ford were getting MUCH better payload numbers in their 1/2T models during that time.

So, I agree, don't limit your search to only one manufacturer. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Ram truck, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. But if I were searching for a used truck to tow my trailer, I would be looking hard at ALL brands (even Toyota and Nissan).

ETA: Forgot to mention I would DEFINITELY opt for a tow package in whatever I chose.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Welcome Aboard. Generally speaking I would want the tow package. It adds more features than rear end ration and mirrors. It includes a button that will change shift points, integrated trailer wiring, and other features.

You don't say what you will be towing. So if you have a PU, that is a lot different than say a small 5ver. There is a lot of TTs in between. So understanding your camper and its weights will really be helpful.

If you can, I would bring your current combo to a cat scale and figure out its GVW and tongue weight. That will tell you the minimum capacity your new truck will require. Then think about all the fun stuff you bring along with in the TV, like your DW, kids, toys, firewood, etc.

The yellow stick mentioned above on the door frame is where I would be looking at first on every vehicle. Forget how pretty it is, if it is not capable move on.

How to measure your vehicles weight; https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #6

Hey all, just an observation here, but I felt compelled to mention this as it happens a lot. Carefully read the OPs post, paying particular attention to his wording. To wit, "My question is if I find say a Dodge Ram...", notice the part "if I find say a". What this clearly is, is an example. He never says he is looking at only Dodge Rams. Yet, a couple of replies are insinuating that he is only looking at one truck. Reading for comprehension and understanding is far better than simply reading to reply. Apologies in advance, and I want to be clear, I am not intending to insult or offend anyone, but felt it may be a nice thing to point this out.

Now to the OP. Some good advice given so far from everyone. In the end though, the decision will be yours to make. Do you need a tow package? you will have to research the numbers on the truck and determine if it can handle what you are going to be towing. However, going a little extra and getting a truck that already has a tow package and may be set up to carry heavier payload and tow extra weight could leave you a little wiggle room should you decide to upgrade your RV in the future.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Hey all, just an observation here, but I felt compelled to mention this as it happens a lot. Carefully read the OPs post, paying particular attention to his wording. To wit, "My question is if I find say a Dodge Ram...", notice the part "if I find say a". What this clearly is, is an example. He never says he is looking at only Dodge Rams. Yet, a couple of replies are insinuating that he is only looking at one truck. Reading for comprehension and understanding is far better than simply reading to reply. Apologies in advance, and I want to be clear, I am not intending to insult or offend anyone, but felt it may be a nice thing to point this out.

Now to the OP. Some good advice given so far from everyone. In the end though, the decision will be yours to make. Do you need a tow package? you will have to research the numbers on the truck and determine if it can handle what you are going to be towing. However, going a little extra and getting a truck that already has a tow package and may be set up to carry heavier payload and tow extra weight could leave you a little wiggle room should you decide to upgrade your RV in the future.
I agree, and I don't think my post got to the heart of what I really wanted to say, or what the OP was really asking. I was just trying to illustrate that during the time OP is likely to find a decent used truck, Ram's payload numbers were relatively low for the class.

What I really wanted to say is that a hitch and tow mirrors do not a tow package make. Others have illustrated that there are other "goodies" often associated with tow packages, and I agree. Like supplemental transmission coolers, rear-end ratios more suited to towing (as opposed to a numerically lower ratio better suited for increased fuel economy), tow/haul programming in the transmission that changes shift points and line pressures in the transmission to make towing easier on the transmission, higher amp alternators, integrated wiring, potentially an integrated trailer brake controller ...

Some of that can be added later, but IMO, it would be better if it was built in already.

So, yes, if I'm going to tow with the truck, I would definitely prefer to have a truck with as much "tow package" as I could get.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #8

I'd be looking for 3.73 gears rather than the tall 3.55's. Less gas mileage better towing.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #9

Research what a tow package includes per brand/model. In some cases it may include bigger oil coolers for the transmission, engine or both. Additional cooling is ALWAYS a good thing.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. I definitely would prefer a truck with a tow package but as I shop for my next truck, and yes I’m looking at all makes, the number trucks out there (2017-2019)with a tow package are few and far between. We don’t plan on going larger and there are just the two of us so I think the 1500/f150 with an extended cab or quad cab and short box should keep the numbers right. I’ll keep shopping. Lots of great info on this forum and it’s greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You don't say what you will be towing. So if you have a PU, that is a lot different than say a small 5ver. There is a lot of TTs in between. So understanding your camper and its weights will really be helpful.
Your information, as always, is helpful, but I think the OP stated exactly what he was towing:

Quote:
I pull a 21’ Jayco Jayco Jay Flight. Dry weight of 4223 lbs and GVWR of 6000 lbs.
To the OP, I think you got some really good answers and have a solid plan. I will echo those recommending a factory Tow Package. Your patience will be rewarded.

It is certainly possible to get in spec without a tow package, but it would not be the approach OI would take.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Your information, as always, is helpful, but I think the OP stated exactly what he was towing:

To the OP, I think you got some really good answers and have a solid plan. I will echo those recommending a factory Tow Package. Your patience will be rewarded.

It is certainly possible to get in spec without a tow package, but it would not be the approach OI would take.
Yah, I see I missed it, forgot it, something happened the first time I read through it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwale View Post
Thanks everyone. I definitely would prefer a truck with a tow package but as I shop for my next truck, and yes I’m looking at all makes, the number trucks out there (2017-2019)with a tow package are few and far between. We don’t plan on going larger and there are just the two of us so I think the 1500/f150 with an extended cab or quad cab and short box should keep the numbers right. I’ll keep shopping. Lots of great info on this forum and it’s greatly appreciated.
When I was searching the used market for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I found that oftentimes specific option packages or options are not listed correctly or at all.

For example, when searching for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I needed it to have a two-speed transfer case (capable of flat-tow). The way they were listed was "4x4" or "4-wheel-drive"; virtually all Grand Cherokee Limiteds are "4-wheel-drive" if not all of them. This is less than helpful since "4-wd" in that vehicle involves 3 different transfer case options; only one of those I was interested in. And not a single used vehicle listing detailed which transfer case the Jeep came with; it just wasn't important enough information I guess...

I got around this by shopping first by description, etc. Then shopping by pictures. Luckily in the used market, most of the pictures are ones of the ACTUAL vehicle for sale. So in my example, I would look at the pictures that showed the center console and look for the 4-wd selector. If no selector, no go, and if the selector had the extra options, I kicked those out as well (I didn't want the higher end trim packages that came with the higher end transfer case).

My point is that most used vehicle listings will not list the tow package as a separate option, or won't list it accurately. It may say "tow package" just because there's a hitch depending on who is writing the listing. Or it may have a full-on tow package, but it's not listed because the seller doesn't regard that as important information. See if you can find one or two easily identifiable clues that will indicate whether the vehicle has a tow package and find your prospects with images of that one or two clues.

One example might be the integrated trailer brake control in GM trucks. The GM trucks of that vintage that had the integrated TBC most likely (maybe even definitely, I'd have to research) were equipped with the full tow package.

Of course, the used vehicle market is drying up quite a bit from what I understand. Given everything that's going on, it seems people are hanging onto their vehicles? Or at least that's what an article I read a while back said. So it may very well be that there are fewer trucks equipped with tow packages available in the used market... But like someone else mentioned, be patient; IMO, it's worth it to wait for the right truck than to settle and regret it later.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #14

I have added hitch’s,brake controller and coolers to my trucks and cars for around 42 years. Most vehicles did not came with a tow package. We have pulled pop up to 5 th wheels all over the USA. But today with the heat that the motor gives off due to emissions and turbo on smaller motors. I would not pull without the tow package. In the 1970 Chevy 350 we had more Hp than cubic inch. Shift kit for the trans. 4.11 gears. And bad gas mileage 10 to 11. Today my 2014 GMC Acadia gets around 9 mph. Thank God for smaller motors.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:20 AM   #15

Thanks everyone, I got the answer I figured I’d get. You confirmed what I was thinking. I will continue shopping with some new tactics thanks to Camper Bob. Stay safe and happy camping.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I have added hitch’s,brake controller and coolers to my trucks and cars for around 42 years. Most vehicles did not came with a tow package.
Reminds me of a part time job I had in high school (1973).

I worked for san jose hitch and welding.
The owner built and installed custom trailer hitches and brake controllers.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #17

Trailers did not come with ac, awning and jacks. Now everything is a package.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle