Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Do I need a WDH for this setup?

I am getting a little crap on the Tundra forums about not using a WDH with this setup. Seeing as most of the members there do not pull trailers and everyone here does I thought I would take the words here more seriously than there.

Here is the setup. 2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with the 5.7l and tow package, 2007 Jay Feather EXP 19H. Dry TW of 350# according to Jayco, 3300# trailer weight dry. GVWR of 4550#. I am figuring around 450# TW loaded give or take a few. Truck has an allowable tow rating of 10500# and 1050# tongue weight, a WDH is recommended at 500#. I have Airlift load levelers in the rear and with only 10psi in the bags I sag about 3/4" with the trailer on. Trailer has dual LP tanks on the front but the batteries are inside the trailer closer to the axle.

I previously towed a Coleman Santa Fe Cp with a 230# dry tongue weight to which I added dual 20# LP tanks and dual batteries (TW was about 375#) for thousands of miles (most of which on a 2010 4Runner) so I am not new to pulling trailers. I also pull a three horse slant with a 698# TW on occasion between ranches, no WDH here either. I do not in any way feel that a WDH is needed for this trailer, however, a few guys over there are insisting that the trailer is not safe without a WDH. What are your thoughts?

Here is the TV and HTT loaded (everything in the trailer we carry but clothes) and the TV without a trailer on to give you an idea of the small amount of sag. I understand the WDH is for more than sag, but it is a good indication of how the weight distribution is either way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	59652_456527194393111_1393155953_n.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	5787
Click image for larger version

Name:	381645_459147967464367_111314297_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5788
brockeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

IMHO it all boils down to what u are comfortable with and do you feel safe. Given your experience with towing, u r probably the best judge. Do u use a brake controller? I myself have a 23b. I use a WDH and a controller. It is what I feel safe towing with. My .02.
Bones2blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would look closely at the weight limits stamped on the TV's OEM receiver ..., there should be a WD weight limit mode and Weight Carrying weight limit mode. If you trailer(s) has a "loaded" tongue weight that is below the receiver's Weight Carrying mode, then a WDH isn't required.

What I tend to recommend is that if the "loaded" tongue weight is close to the Weight Carrying limit, then a WDH would be the way to go. In the event the trailer is loaded closer to it's GVWR of 4,550lbs (ie; fluid in tanks, etc.) the chances of a loaded tongue going above 500lbs is a reality (recommended loaded tongue weight 10% to 15% of loaded trailer weight). The 2007 19H doesn't have a generous CCC, which may also signal a loaded trailer weight closer to it's GVWR.

Also, in some TV/TT combinations the addition of a WDH may enhance the Weight Carrying mode hitch connection in less than ideal road conditions.

Since we all have different loading habits, only a CAT scale can tell the whole story.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2blood View Post
IMHO it all boils down to what u are comfortable with and do you feel safe. Given your experience with towing, u r probably the best judge. Do u use a brake controller? I myself have a 23b. I use a WDH and a controller. It is what I feel safe towing with. My .02.
X2,

Your truck seems to have the capacity. What I like about having my WDH; having an integrated anti-sway system (Equalizer brand). My truck drives like there is nothing back there at all. When I am rolling down the road, I feel absolutely no sway motion, not even in high wind, gusts, or as a semi pass. The process to hookup does takes a couple extra minutes. What I do not like is the cost of the systems.

Ultimately, it is what you are comfortable with. Just remember that with no sway protection, things can get ugly and out of control incredibly quickly.

With your rig you MUST have a brake controller for the trailer brakes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

I have dual friction sways and a Prodigy P3 brake controller so I'm set there. My owners manual recommends a WDH for loads exceeding 5000/500.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

WD requirement is determined by weight, TW and Loaded TT weight. Regardless of the 500/5000 Toyota lists in the manual, what is the load carrying weight rating vs the WD rating stamping on the receiver? I imagine you TT will stay below the 5000, but untill you load the TT and get the actual TW it is just a guess. Once you have the actual TW and then the answer will be clear.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockeverly View Post
I have dual friction sways and a Prodigy P3 brake controller so I'm set there. My owners manual recommends a WDH for loads exceeding 5000/500.
With this and your air bags I would say you are good.
Bones2blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

I am curious, where did Jayco list a 350# tongue weight? That sounds awful light.

Also, I found this description of a WD hitch.

Quote:
The bottom line is that before you apply the weight distribution hitch, the total hitch weight must be no more than 610 pounds.
That weight doesn’t disappear or move, but the WDH hitch applies a MOMMENT (this is a term used in engineering mechanics) on the hitch. It is a rotational force. The hitch also still has the original downward linear force from the trailer applying a downward force, but the rotational force from the WDH hitch changes what forces the axles see, but not the hitch. The need is not to reduce the weight on the hitch to affect handling , but to reduce the weight the rear axles sees.

Picture you standing looking at your TV from the driver’s side. The front of the vehicle is to your left. You have this huge torque wrench that fits into the receiver. You rotate it counter clockwise.

This is what a MOMMENT is. It is a rotational force, not a linear force.

In my example here, it makes the front of the TV squat down because you are applying a moment to the receiver. The rear wheels are now slightly lighter due to the same moment applied to the TV. The suspension in the rear now sees less weight. That is what the weight distribution hitch does to your tow vehicle regardless of what weight is at the hitch.

The engineers of your TV still have put a limitation of what the tongue weight can be at the hitch and in your case it is 610 pounds regardless of whether the WDH is there or not. However, with the WDH, the suspension will be more balanced as it should.
So, with bags, I think you will be pretty balanced. And with your friction sway bar, you don't need to worry about that.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...oorplans-specs

I don't recall, but here are the 2012 numbers.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10

On the side of your camper or in the cabinet more than likely, there should be a sticker that reads the weight of your TT when it left the factory. I have noticed, the weights vary by year. Mine is an 11 model, and with options, it left the factory at over 3.7K and a lower cargo capacity than stated in those specs. I seen yours has the nice box on the front. Is your propane tanks located in that box? By the time you add a battery and double 20's filled, I would bet your tongue weight is more like 450 or higher depending on what you have in there and how its loaded. Rule of thumb is 10-15%, but that does vary with contents and how they are loaded. Most of your cabinet space is in front of the axles and under the dinette seats, and over the front bed.

Either way, if you really measure the height pre and post hitch and you truly only loose about an inch after its on the truck when you are fully loaded, I think you will be ok. Just for fun if you have the time, go to a CAT scale and check all the weights. I bet it would surprise you.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Brockeverly,

Although the 2007 published dry and/or unload weights are moot at this point, you may find the following Jayco 2007 published (brochure, web site, etc.) specifications helpful for future reference:

2007 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 19H:

Weights:

Unloaded vehicle weight (actual ship weight will be heavier).... 3,475 lbs
Dry Hitch weight.... 400 lbs
Gross vehicle weight.... 4,550 lbs
Cargo carrying capacity.... 1,075 lbs

Measurements:

Exterior travel length.... 20'-2"
Exterior campsite length.... 23'-4"
Exterior height w/opt AC.... 116"
Interior headroom.... 78"

Tank Capacities:

Fresh water capacity (includes water heater).... 30 gals
Gray wastewater capacity.... 30 gals
Toilet/black wastewater capacity.... 23 gals

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #12

The batteries are under the dinette but there are two 20# LP tanks in the box. I measured and under 1" is the true measurement but I plan to get it weighed once I get what I want to get done on it. Dicor was delivered today so tomorrow I get to figure out how to get on the roof to check everything out so I can get that taken care of before my Eternabond comes in.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The following JOF "sticky" may be helpful when you go to weigh your TV/TT combination at a CAT scale:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #14

Not having air-bags on my TV, and not having any experience with them, I'm curious... the WDH doesn't just lift the back end of the TV, it forces some of the weight of the trailer to the front wheels of the TV (or so I understand), balancing out the distribution of the weight between the two vehicles. The airbags on the rear of the TV simply 'lift' the back end of the TV up. Wouldn't a WDH give you more traction and steering control over the airbags?

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #15

I am thinking I will add a WDH before our trip through the Rockies this June/July. Not had any issues, but an ounce of prevention. I now have an add a leaf in the rear as well as airbags. Still not really sagging, but I found the hitch on sale for $169 shipped so its not a great deal of money to be safer. I have never felt unsafe pulling the trailer, but I have felt uneasy over bumps at speed as the tongue seemed to feel as if it was sagging the rear and causing a slight bounce. Unless I am mistaken, the WDH will stop this from happening.

How will this work with my setup? Is it too much overkill with 800# bars?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-48052-We...ds=camco+48052
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #16

I went to the above link but the price was not $169.00 but $224.65. any advice so I can take advantage of the "deal" you got?
mike12110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #17

Check eBay. That's where I found it. Only one seller at that price and free shipping.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
snip......Wouldn't a WDH give you more traction and steering control over the airbags?
Great question.......,

Yes, when adjusted correctly. The air bags simply support the weight that is over the TV's rear axle, possibly minimize rear TV squat when under load, but they don't have any weight distribution function.

The WDH's main function is to return the same weight that was removed from the TV's front axle do to the effect of the tongue weight placed on the hitch ball (front of TV rises, rear of TV squats). By returning the TV's front suspension back to it's original condition re-establishes normal steering and handling characteristics.

If a TT's loaded tongue weight falls within the TV's "weight carrying" mode limits, the TV manufacture is basically saying that the front suspension will remain within established tolerance limits thus a WDH isn't required. It should be noted that any added cargo placed within the TV located behind the TV rear axle should be counted against the specified "weight carrying" mode limit just to be on the safe side.

The WDH will reduce TV/TT bounce thus aiding in maintaining proper TV steering and handling characteristics.

Travel safe, camping season is just around the corner

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

We do not have a weight distribution or sway bar and have driven:

* Phoenix, AZ to Corpus Christi, TX and back 8 times;
* Phoenix to Ketchum, Idaho and Seattle, WA and back 4 times; and
* many SW desert and mountain short outtings, without a sway issue

We have a 2010 F150, 5.4 liter engine with air bags and internal sway control. The TT we pull is single axle, and weights 3500 pounds.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote