Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #11

I tow a 184bh with a 2010 Limited - no WDH.

I've never had a problem, even during a 1500km cross country drive. I tend to load up the trailer vice the truck, but I have had the truck loaded on occasion with bikes and firewood. It did feel a tad light in the front end during that trip, but it was relatively short (50km) so I wasn't overly concerned.

I personally think the 4runner is a great TV, except for the idiotic location of the 7 pin connector

Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #12

Trans Cooler

Thanks for the post. Even with the 3K pound axle issue, loading the TT with the bulk of gear (max 250-300#) seems like a great idea. My first trip will be relatively short at 120 miles round-trip so I am going to try it first less WDH. I should know after the trip if it will be a necessity.

Our TV's look quite different however the wheel base & tow capacity are the same. You get a little more HP & max payload with the 5th generation which is definitely a plus but do you know if there is an auxiliary trans cooler? 1500km is a pretty long haul, no issues with heat, sway, etc.? The trans cooler is really my last concern. If you don't have the cooler, what were the temps during your tow (weather wise)? Not sure if Texas and I assume Canada hits the same digits on the thermometer.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)
Album: 2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #13

I would imagine that texas is a tad hotter but I've towed on days 90+ degrees - but I don't have a tranny temp gauge so I don't have a clue.

Toyota specs say there is a tranny cooler, but the consensus amongst owners is that its not a "dedicated" cooler per se, rather its tied into the engine cooling system somehow. I always tow with the transmission in "sport mode" selected to 4th gear. That way I avoid overdrive (5th). I've never had a sway problem, but I always put my thumb on the brake controller when I see a fast moving semi approaching, just to be sure.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #14

Thanks again for the information. Hopefully this will help other folks who find these posts via search engines. Not sure why I over think all of these things, the internet seems to create many more questions than it does provide answers.

I saw your boondocking pics and must say your 184BH is definitely enjoying a better existence so far than mine, very nice.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)
Album: 2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #15

I pull an SLX 185RB with a Grand Cherokee using one friction anti-sway bar without any problems. For what it is worth, when I bought the trailer from the dealer I asked about installing a WDH and the salesman said that the small frame on the trailer wouldn't take the strain.

Brad

Z06Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote