Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Question Do I need to use my WDH? 4Runner & Swift 184BH

Set Up:
4runner: 4045curb, 5350GVWR, Max Tow: 5000#, Max Tongue: 500#
Swift 184BH: 2744curb, 3500GVWR, Dry Hitch: 305#

With all the positive posts involving WDH's, I decided to purchase one and have the dealer install it when I picked up my new TT. I think they gave me one bigger than required as well as installing it incorrectly. I haven't owed/pulled a TT (boat - yes) before but it seemed to tow pretty well on the way back from the dealer. It did scrape my driveway a little when I pulled it in for the first time. I think I can flip the hitch ball mount over, reinstall and it shouldn't hit. When I picked it up from storage (2-3 miles) last weekend, I opted to use my standard receiver so hopefully I wouldn't scrape again. I put a level on and noticed the trailer was actually completely straight. I pulled it home and it seemed to handle the same as with the WDH. With battery and goodies I already added about 150#'s and will probably only add about 100# more + 150-200# max in the TV. The WDH itself is 100# so the set-up just seems like overkill for my 3K pound trailer, but I could be wrong. I do use the trailer brakes and even if I dump the WDH, I will get a hitch to use with my sway bar. I have a few more towing questions but I will start a new post for them.

Would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

Here is the WDH and Set-up with standard hitch
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9439 Click image for larger version

Name:	stnd_receiver.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	9440

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #2

Hi! I'm new to the forum and TT (got mine 2 months ago). I happen to have the exact same set-up as you (2008 4Runner and 2014 184BH). I hook up the TT direct to TV and I haven't had any issues. I have been on two trips so far (both ~70-80 miles each way to campgrounds). The TT seems pretty level when hooked up. We made a point to load the TT, not the TV with our gear to avoid putting weight in the rear of the TV.

I understand the big benefit of WDH is to put weight on front TV and stop front-to-back bounce of TT. The only bounce I've noticed has been on uneven city streets and I just know to slow down beforehand (learning local roads to avoid quickly!). I'm in southern Texas where most freeways are flat, smooth and straight and I haven't found any freeway travel issues (wrt bounce).

I haven't towed a TT before and hadn't towed any type of trailer in 22 years, so I'm starting from scratch, but so far I'm OK with it. I don't think the WDH will help that much, but I must admit I'm considering upgrading to Sequoia (or other equiv larger SUV) to have a bit more mass in front. I've felt a bit exposed on high cross wind highway driving. I think it may also maginally help with fuel economy if the front surface area of the TV is closer to the TT surface area (creating more air flow over, rather than drag...? I don't know).

Last comment regarding WDH: I heard that WDH don't help with bounce that much with single-axle TT b/c of "their natural tendency to have some bounce to them compared to dual-axle". But, that's just what I heard "they" say and can't confirm/correct this.

I'm interested to hear what you think of the TT-TV combo and logistics/mods inside the TT. I'm still figuring out how to load the cabinets & bench storage to be most efficient with space (that will be a post of mine in the near future).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I run a 4Runner, 2008, V6 with a165 Sport, weights are the same.
I was sagging quit a bit in the back and CAT scale numbers showed I was light on the front axle.

After installing WDH, I used CAT scale numbers to set it up correctly and verified.
I was much more comfortable with the WDH. As comfortable as you can be towing with an SUV.

I kept it between the lines for 9 weeks and 9,000 miles, but it got dicey in winds >15mph.

I will be moving to a truck the 1st opportunity. A sequoia would be an improvement too.

My tongue weight verified at about 475 lbs after fully loaded. The TT was at 3,000 lbs, so I wasn't maxed out.

I also installed a full frame receiver hitch that boosted my rating to 600lbs tongue weight. I wasn't comfortable with the single plate factory rated at 500 lbs.

I would take my whole set-up to a CAT scale and see what your weights are.

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
snip..... I would take my whole set-up to a CAT scale and see what your weights are.....snip
I agree....., here is a JOF link for a TV/TT combination "How To" at a CAT Scale: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Thanks for all the information, definitely going to hit a scale in the near future. I may try two trips with/without the WDH, of course I may just use full time if I can adjust it w/o scraping the driveway.

Scanning lots of old posts can get your stomach turning in knots. Especially in regards to the max 3K axle weight, subpar trailer tires, etc. I also noticed lots of folks seem to max out there TV. I haven't taken a long trip yet but not sure how some of these tiny SUV's with a max 3.5K tow rate could or would want to pull a 3500 GVWR trailer. I know it is all about preference. I will also admit the thought of a larger TT is quite appealing when comparing to the SLX series. Just looking to put little stress as possible on the ol 4runner. Plus the Mrs. & (2) small dogs don't require too much space. I will probably upgrade in a few years when I outgrow this one.

Camping Guy: I also reside in Texas and was wondering your (or anyone's thoughts) on an aux. transmission cooler. I purchased one but have not installed it. Mainly due to the fact my father in law, often tows broken down vehicles in the Big Bend area and mentioned quite a few of these breakdowns were due to trans. failure because of hose failure, etc. They could drip real slow and you wouldn't even know until it was too late. Like I said lots of stomach turning. The V6 does have a cooler already and he seems to think with my weight, etc. it would be unnecessary. Everyone has an opinion about this - what say yall?

Thanks again for all the advice & info!

:wink:

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

4runner fellows: I also noticed the front end was a little goosey, even with the WDH (I think they didn't get it right at the RV place - late Friday and they probably wanted to go home). My 4runner however has always been a bit goosey, especially in the wind - possibly the 109" wheelbase, height and width. Funny thing is when I pull my my boat (around 2K#'s) it seems to stabilize the 4runner, not so much with the TT yet. The boat axle is wider so I don't know. I think if I could afford the $50K+ Sequoia, my TT might also get updated .

184BH - as for the mods - I see many in the future. Right now 3M hooks are getting slapped everywhere. Not sure I will be cutting off benches or removing cabinets like I have seen others do but whatever I can do to improve it while somewhat keeping the weight down. Adding up plenty of "points" on the Visa via Campingworld; so many extras required for the "second home". My main complaint, as petty as it sounds is that the door has no design or window like past years. It kind of sticks out and seems like an afterthought. There must be a reason, just too vanilla for my taste.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Wind is your enemy with that short wheel base.
4Runners do well with boats because they cut the wind better than a TT.
I would leave early morning and arrive to my destination by noon. That's when the winds usually pick up.
If the winds were predicted >20mph, we stayed another day.
My 4Runner was initially purchased to pull a pop-up. Had to adjust after we adopted our dog.

Watch the wind predictions in the weather and run 55mph. Keep it between the lines :-)

My front end seems fine. Big rigs pull me into them and then pop me out as they pass. Takes some getting used too, but not a pleasant experience.

Safe travels,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the great info. Do you use a sway bar? Most posts I have read said this greatly reduces the big truck tug. Maybe this is different with the 4runner and single axle trailer set-up.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yes,
I have an Equalizer E-2 WDH. It has anti sway built into the 2 spring bars. So I have anti-sway on both sides (friction)

Some trucks do not push me all over the place, most do. J guess it depends on their front end design and how much air they are displacing. I can feel it pulling the 4Runner over towards them, I correct as needed and then they push me as they pass. I then have to correct slightly back the other way. I try to keep a look out the side mirrors so I know when to expect.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #10

These topics, 4Runner towing capability, WDH and pushing weight capacities are all very familiar, and the cause of countless hours of research for me on the web.
Our 2006 V6 4Runner was the "little SUV" that would do everything asked of it and more. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	9541[ATTACH][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	9542 In fact it even survived one of those aforementioned transmission cooler leaks.

One week before a trip last summer I had a after-market tranny cooler installed by a local shop for some extra protection. 250 miles down the road rolling through Meridian, Ms at highway speed the hoses that were too short and attached with the wrong clamps let go and sprayed fluid all over the front of the Jayco.
After a tow to the closest Toyota dealership the service tech said there was a good chance the transmission was DONE. After a fluid refill, a test drive and lots of praying the 4Runner showed no effects or damage from the total fluid loss. Had the 18XD towed home by my brother's Tahoe that night, trip canceled, full refund from jerk transmission mechanic and dealership bill him for the repair.

I realized we were pushing the 4Runner's limits before any real mountain trips. After hours on Autotrader day after day we found a used 2008 Sequoia with low miles and a tow package. The 9600lbs towing capacity is almost double what we had and the gas mileage is not much different. First trip was to Georgia's
Lake Lanier Resort, and the 8 hour drive was much more enjoyable without the stress of worrying about towing to close to the limit.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #11

I tow a 184bh with a 2010 Limited - no WDH.

I've never had a problem, even during a 1500km cross country drive. I tend to load up the trailer vice the truck, but I have had the truck loaded on occasion with bikes and firewood. It did feel a tad light in the front end during that trip, but it was relatively short (50km) so I wasn't overly concerned.

I personally think the 4runner is a great TV, except for the idiotic location of the 7 pin connector

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #12

Trans Cooler

Thanks for the post. Even with the 3K pound axle issue, loading the TT with the bulk of gear (max 250-300#) seems like a great idea. My first trip will be relatively short at 120 miles round-trip so I am going to try it first less WDH. I should know after the trip if it will be a necessity.

Our TV's look quite different however the wheel base & tow capacity are the same. You get a little more HP & max payload with the 5th generation which is definitely a plus but do you know if there is an auxiliary trans cooler? 1500km is a pretty long haul, no issues with heat, sway, etc.? The trans cooler is really my last concern. If you don't have the cooler, what were the temps during your tow (weather wise)? Not sure if Texas and I assume Canada hits the same digits on the thermometer.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #13

I would imagine that texas is a tad hotter but I've towed on days 90+ degrees - but I don't have a tranny temp gauge so I don't have a clue.

Toyota specs say there is a tranny cooler, but the consensus amongst owners is that its not a "dedicated" cooler per se, rather its tied into the engine cooling system somehow. I always tow with the transmission in "sport mode" selected to 4th gear. That way I avoid overdrive (5th). I've never had a sway problem, but I always put my thumb on the brake controller when I see a fast moving semi approaching, just to be sure.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #14

Thanks again for the information. Hopefully this will help other folks who find these posts via search engines. Not sure why I over think all of these things, the internet seems to create many more questions than it does provide answers.

I saw your boondocking pics and must say your 184BH is definitely enjoying a better existence so far than mine, very nice.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #15

I pull an SLX 185RB with a Grand Cherokee using one friction anti-sway bar without any problems. For what it is worth, when I bought the trailer from the dealer I asked about installing a WDH and the salesman said that the small frame on the trailer wouldn't take the strain.

Brad
Z06Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote