Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
I'm not disagreeing at all with the properties of propane. I do believe that if a propane tank ruptures and the propane fills a cavity it will create a dangerous situation. This entire scenario can be avoided if a non absorption refrigerator is used in an RV. 12 volt/120 volt refrigerators have been used in the boating industry for years.
If a propane tank ruptures you have bigger issues. An empty tank is probably more dangerous than a full tank.

I have never heard anyone say to transport empty tanks to and from camp. It would be pointless. You might as well buy a 1 pound tank from the CG office.

To me it sounds like someone pulling someone's leg. Or a very uneducated individual talking about something they have absolutely no clue about.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Why do some dealers and RVers say to travel with them empty? Is it for the weight advantage?
Never heard of this. It would be absurd to empty your propane tanks every time you hit the road. Perhaps your dealer meant water tanks? Some say do not travel with fresh water tank full but I also say that's BS or how would anyone boondock.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #23

Like most others. One tank "ON" and the other tank on "Stand-BY". The only place I have ever asked to turn propane off is on a ferry. ...... And they will check; just to be sure.

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If a propane tank ruptures you have bigger issues. An empty tank is probably more dangerous than a full tank.

I have never heard anyone say to transport empty tanks to and from camp. It would be pointless. You might as well buy a 1 pound tank from the CG office.

To me it sounds like someone pulling someone's leg. Or a very uneducated individual talking about something they have absolutely no clue about.
Leaking propane is almost impossible to ignite...you have to get the air/gas mixture between 2% and 9% or nothing will happen.. Only time you see a propane tank explode is when it's heated say in a fire and the gas expands....it's about as safe a product as you can get..NOTHING like gasoline or even the can of charcoal lighter fluid in your storage compartment.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #25

Full & on
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing at all with the properties of propane. I do believe that if a propane tank ruptures and the propane fills a cavity it will create a dangerous situation. This entire scenario can be avoided if a non absorption refrigerator is used in an RV. 12 volt/120 volt refrigerators have been used in the boating industry for years.
This makes more sense (to me, anyway) in an RV versus a trailer (our previous trailer didn't come with an on board generator)... but still... if you boondock and don't like to listen to generators all day (and night)... an absorption fridge is really handy.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Never heard of this. It would be absurd to empty your propane tanks every time you hit the road. Perhaps your dealer meant water tanks? Some say do not travel with fresh water tank full but I also say that's BS or how would anyone boondock.
This sounds like the most logical explanation.
Did the dealer say "Don't travel with your tanks full" or "Always travel with your tanks empty" ? If so, he was clearly talking about your FW, GW and BW tanks, not your propane tanks. (And even then, I often travel with a full FW tank when going boondocking)
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Leaking propane is almost impossible to ignite...you have to get the air/gas mixture between 2% and 9% or nothing will happen.. Only time you see a propane tank explode is when it's heated say in a fire and the gas expands....it's about as safe a product as you can get..NOTHING like gasoline or even the can of charcoal lighter fluid in your storage compartment.
20 and 30 pound tanks are no fun to watch when set on/in a fire. Once they decide they are over pressure, the pressure relief pops, and you get a stream of propane vapor, that when caught on fire looks a little bit like a small hot air burner, only with a yellow flame.

No BOOM, NO Nothing! The safety relief does it job.

What to see some self combustion, get charcoal damp!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #29

Propane

There are several youTube videos but no explosions & Mythbusters also could not get any explosions

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
This sounds like the most logical explanation.
Did the dealer say "Don't travel with your tanks full" or "Always travel with your tanks empty" ? If so, he was clearly talking about your FW, GW and BW tanks, not your propane tanks. (And even then, I often travel with a full FW tank when going boondocking)
X2. I think you've put your finger on it, Dewey!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:54 PM   #31

Full.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Have to disagree since I have owned a 54' houseboat for 20+ years and [drum roll] it had a standard RV gas/electric fridge. Second you said "you believe" something without giving any data or proof. There are hundreds of thousands of rvs [TT, 5'ers, MH's] and how many have you ever read that have exploded while on the road? This is why so many myths get circulated. A friend told me that the friend had a friend who knew someone who had a brother who went to camp as a 14 year old who had a camp councilor tell him that his father [etc etc] met a lady at the grocery who's camper van caught fire in a Walmart parking lot.

Occasionally stuff happens and the unusual can maybe occur under unusual circumstances BUT the other million or so camper days on the road that go without incident should be enough for us to Believe that its ok to travel with propane tanks that are ready to go when you stop for the day. I won't go as far as to say a dealer has never told someone to travel with empty tanks because there are a lot of stupid dealer employees out there. And finally exactly how are you to travel with empty tanks when you stop for the nite, then travel for another day, vacation for a few days, travel to the next site, repeat a couple more times and then drive home, all with empty tanks? Why have propane at all? Lets just use coleman lanterns and stoves.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #33

It takes me over a year to go through a tank, not sure how I would travel with empty tanks logistically.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #34

I only travel with empty propane tanks after forgetting to check them for too long.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #35

Like the others, I can't conceive of any possible logic that would make me think that trying to travel with empty propane tanks makes any sense at all.

Several appliances in most RV's are designed to run most effectively on gas. There are models in which some items will only run on gas (furnace, some water heaters). I'm not going to be bothered about trying to find a propane vendor near where I'm camped, especially as most of my trips are to the mountains where such services can be hard to find.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #36

Another one for traveling with full tanks and the refrigerator running.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #37

Full. Run fridge while traveling.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #38

I begin the season with full propane tanks. During the season, one will never be quite full. When it empties, I switch over to the full one, and refill the empty one.

My Fridge is on when traveling.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:31 AM   #39

I do the same as the two previous posters...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #40

Well, the dealership sent me home with a full tank so..................

Traveling with an empty tank would be kind of pointless in my opinion.

Here's a real shocker, I typically travel with a full to mostly full fuel tank on my TV as well

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote