Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

Duramax

Interesting stuff.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...LqR?li=BBnb7Kz
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

The Duramax has morphed into a fine engine after some earlier year hiccups but they've all experienced this. I just wish they could figure out a way to get rid of all this emission crap and still satisfy the EPA and let the engine do what it's designed to do.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

I had an 05 dmax and not a lick of trouble in over 90k miles... then a Ford 6.4L 90K miles nothing but the CAC problem, death wobble (fixed with a new front stabilizer) and stupid DPF issue where it couldn't finish regen when it was below 0... it would regen forever... then went to a 6.2L GM gas motor.. woo hoo but after 90k miles with that and it's issues valves, rear end, pan gasket, vibration etc... it was time...

I moved to the new dmax (Fords were a solid 10k more) for the same truck plus i could reuse my topper, bed rug, etc... that saved me even more.

This is a pretty solid truck so far not enough miles yet, but no issues and it is a beast to tow with and it gets up and goes for a 8400lb truck... and this one has the best mileage of all of them...regens are north of 400 miles in town and winter and north of 800 miles on the freeway unloaded...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

Thanks for posting this.

Very interesting.

Listening to him talk about the detail, and seeing his excitement says volumes about Gale Banks knowing his stuff.

I'm getting very eager to experiencing what my L5P will do pulling my not yet built North Point.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zs387RDFS View Post
I'm getting very eager to experiencing what my L5P will do pulling my not yet built North Point.
When we had out 2015 pulling the 40' PINNACLE I wasn't really watching the speedo and was hitting 75 about 1/2 way up JELICO Mountain on I-75 and still had throttle left. It's a mean pulling machine..
Old 02-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #6

My 15 pulls our 44' Northpoint with ease. The L5P has a little bit more HP and TQ so it should be even better.
The Banks thing is kinda funny. 20 years ago modifying a diesel truck was just barely getting started. I put the biggest, baddest kit Banks had on my 99 Cummins. That truck would rip, but I had WAY too many issues with their stuff and ended up ripping it all off and sending it back. I had it on for about 2 weeks. After that I bought parts here and there and modified things myself. Remember, 20 years ago the internet was DIAL UP. Broadband was like prototype for customer use. It didnt take long and my cummins was making 750HP on fuel alone and all stock internals, block, crank, rods, pistons, cam, valves, and rockers. Aftermarket parts were injectors, valve springs, fireringed head, head studs, turbos, and a fueling box. Best part was there was no emissions crap or really even standards back then. Unfortunately the EPA has it in their head that it's up to the US people to save the world of all its emissions issues and unfortunately the American people are gonna pay for it.