Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
You do have to let the turbo cool down before shutting off the engine. Around 350* to 400* seem to be the temp most people look for. He may or may not be aware of this.
In fact you can add a tune to the truck that after you remove the key the engine will idle until proper temp is reached then it shuts off. I don't personally have it, a friend has it on his '12 dodge 2500 CTD. I assume it would be available for both the PSD and Duramax too.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
In fact you can add a tune to the truck that after you remove the key the engine will idle until proper temp is reached then it shuts off. I don't personally have it, a friend has it on his '12 dodge 2500 CTD. I assume it would be available for both the PSD and Duramax too.
Here's what BANKS has to say. Right from their web-site.

MYTH #7
You have to let a turbo-diesel idle for two minutes before you shut it off.

FACT
This is a current myth that has a basis of fact stemming from many years ago. It also has a kernel of truth regarding today's turbocharged gasoline engines that operate at higher peak exhaust temperatures than turbo-diesels. In the early days of turbochargers, the turbo shaft was supported by a babbitt bearing that could seize, or even melt, if the engine was shut off immediately after sustained boost conditions where the turbocharger would "heat soak". A two minute cool down at idle allowed the turbocharger to dissipate any remaining spinning inertia, and the oil circulation cooled the bearing and prevented oil "coking" in the bearing area. Turbochargers haven't used babbitt bearings for over 30 years, and today's oils resist coking. Synthetic oils won't coke, period. With a turbocharged gas engine, it's still good insurance to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the turbo or turbos to dissipate any inertia and to cool the bearing area to prevent oil coking, especially if the engine has been worked hard just prior to shut-down. Of course, using quality synthetic oil eliminates this potential coking problem.

Today's turbo-diesels are a different story. There is really no reason to "cool down" a turbo-diesel these days, but you won't hurt anything by doing it either. You can still find people who swear you have to do it, but the myth is fading. Maybe they just like to sit and listen to the radio.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #23

Learn something everyday :-).
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #24

Some of the best money spent on a diesel is a fuel pressure gauge. When your pressures start to drop replace the fuel filter. It will help keep the injectors healthy for a long time.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #25

Duramax/Allison longjevity

I had the r/f bearing go out on mine at 85k and then the left side at 90k during a trip. Expensive part but easy for an amateur to replace. My only other problem with this vehicle has been the need to prime the fuel when parked facing uphill. I'm not sure what the problem is.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500, CCLB
2005 JayFlight 25RKS
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote