Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

DW wants an SUV

Time to upgrade. Pulling a 23MRB, 5300lbs, dry weight. MIL is 89, so DW would rather have an SUV for more comfort.
Is anyone pulling a TT with an SUV?

My concern is their weight vs. pulling/braking power.

Thank you.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #2

With that kind of weight your options are pretty limited in the SUV space. GM Tahoe/Suburban/YukonXL or Ford Expedition/Navigator are probably about it in the domestic brands. The big Mercedes and BMWs have that kind of capacity too, but you'll need deep pockets.

These are pretty stout vehicles and can handle the load as well a 1/2 ton, but having towed for a long time with an SUV, I know that you have to careful about payload. Load up the tongue weight to near max towing rating and you probably can't put anything or anybody into the SUV's seats.

Actually when I was checking the Ford Expe at the auto show, I noted that with all the seats occupied, occupants had to average less than 100lbs each to stay within payload limits. Towing probably would have meant driver only.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

While shopping, be sure to check the PAYLOAD for the SUVs you look at not just the towing capacity. The PAYLOAD is EVERYTHING IN AND ON the SUV (people, food, pets, etc., etc.) PLUS the ~1,000lbs of LOADED TRAILER TONGUE WEIGHT.

You should find a sticker with the PAYLOAD on the driver's side door frame. Don't be surprised if sales folks give you a blank stare when you ask about it. About all they know is 'towing capacity' and that figure isn't the whole story about towing limits. And don't be surprised by the limited payload of SUVs.

Happy SUV shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

I pull a 2014 Coleman 249RB, approx 6500lbs gross... with a 2004 Yukon XL SLT with trailer package. Over 213K miles. (Hitch says 8400 lbs, WDH is 12Klbs.) No way I would pull that much...but I've been towing my 2.5 ton sailboat for 14 years with no problems and added the Coleman with an E2 WDH and have no issues except ... going up 7 degree, 5 mile ling hills is at 50mph in 3rd gear! So if my old Yukon can pull the TT, the new ones should be fine. The new 5.3L motor has more hp and torque than I do, and the trannie has more gears. But as mentioned...checking the vehicle loading is a must. We tow the TT with 1/2 tank of H2O (30gal) in trailer and all our stuff and only 2 people on board Yukon. We've towed the sailboat with up to 4 people on board...and no problems. Plus, it's one very nice truck.

I know I'm lucky, but I'm on original brakes, trannie, water pump, AC compressor, etc.. I've done all the services. Can't ask for better than that from a vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
20181025_114615.jpg  
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Team

I tow with VW Toureg (7700 lbs limit) and a Toyota Tundra. While the VW has plenty of pep tongue weight is a concern; SUVs often have squishy suspension - be sure to check yours. Another concern is wheel base. Just because the SUV is rated for the load doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I have two rigs I routinely tow. One is 19 feet long and weighs 3200 lbs (single axle). The other is 26 feet and weighs about 4000 lbs loaded (double axle). I use sway control on both. Pulling is fine, stopping is fine (trailer brakes) BUT wind is not so fine. On the longer trailer side winds and big trucks blowing by are noticeable. Even though the specs say it should be good - it doesn't feel good. I avoid towing the longer trailer with the SUV and especially at high speeds.
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

I also tow with a VW Touareg Diesel and it weighs in at 5,000 lbs. and my 21' Hybrid full comes in at 5,500- 5,650 lbs. l have absolutely no problems with this combo. It goes up the Grape Vine in California with A/C on at 55mph running 3,000 rpm.
I'm right around 50,000 miles of towing with this combo after 5 years and it's comfort all the way.
DW won't do it in a truck and we have a GMC that will but the kids use it most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

I'm towing a 23 ft, 5000 lb hybrid with an '01 Expedition. The Expedition is rated to tow more weight than that, but I'd have to leave the wife, kids, and dog at home. I have no significant complaints about towing with the SUV, but I wouldn't put much more weight or length back there and expect to be comfortable driving.
I like my Ford, but I've read that GM/Chevy made a few of the Yukon/Tahoe in a 3/4 ton option. I'd look for one of those if I were planning to tow anything bigger.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
I'm towing a 23 ft, 5000 lb hybrid with an '01 Expedition. The Expedition is rated to tow more weight than that, but I'd have to leave the wife, kids, and dog at home. I have no significant complaints about towing with the SUV, but I wouldn't put much more weight or length back there and expect to be comfortable driving.
I like my Ford, but I've read that GM/Chevy made a few of the Yukon/Tahoe in a 3/4 ton option. I'd look for one of those if I were planning to tow anything bigger.
To the best of my knowledge, it's been a few years since any one has offered a 3/4T version of their SUVs. Ford had the Excursion, but that's been gone for many years now. GM offered the Suburban in 3/4T models, then it was "fleet only", but you could still get them, now I believe they're not available at all (but I could be wrong). Either way, it's going to be an older model, or it's going to be a "fleet model" which is stripped down on options.

If you've got tons of dough to drop, you could get your F-250 or 350 "converted" into an Excursion-like model. Seriously, people will do that.

Would DW tolerate a full size van? You could get a full size Ford van ... maybe "doctor it up" a little so it's not quite so utilitarian? My DW would literally laugh out loud if I suggested that though...

My dad bought a Suburban when he retired last year. IIRC, the "loading information placard" listed "available payload" at something like 1500 lbs? I'll try to remember to look when I see him this weekend.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #9

A friend of mine pulls in that weight range with a Toyota Sequoia and loves it. Except the gas mileage that is. 7 mpg. 2016

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
While shopping, be sure to check the PAYLOAD for the SUVs you look at not just the towing capacity. The PAYLOAD is EVERYTHING IN AND ON the SUV (people, food, pets, etc., etc.) PLUS the ~1,000lbs of LOADED TRAILER TONGUE WEIGHT.

You should find a sticker with the PAYLOAD on the driver's side door frame. Don't be surprised if sales folks give you a blank stare when you ask about it. About all they know is 'towing capacity' and that figure isn't the whole story about towing limits. And don't be surprised by the limited payload of SUVs.

Happy SUV shopping.

X2.... Cargo capacity IS THE important number. You will typically exceed that number long before you exceed towing capacity. There is more to towing than just being able to drag it down the road. Overload your vehicle and you subject it to excess wear and tear and potentially safety issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #11

Yep. Agreed. Just checked my Yukon XL. it's 1643lbs. More than I was expecting...So I'm good with both the boat and the trailer.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Time to upgrade. Pulling a 23MRB, 5300lbs, dry weight. MIL is 89, so DW would rather have an SUV for more comfort.

Thank you.
Have you and DW checked out the trucks out there today? They have all of the comfort features of a luxury car — certainly most everything you can get in an SUV. Not sure there’s anything an SUV could provide that you can’t get in a newer pickup. JMHO.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Have you and DW checked out the trucks out there today? They have all of the comfort features of a luxury car — certainly most everything you can get in an SUV. Not sure there’s anything an SUV could provide that you can’t get in a newer pickup. JMHO.
Yes, what you said is true but what my DW is not fond of is its turning circle, having to climb up to get in ( her words), parking it at the store ( it additional length ), lack of a hidden trunk and with helping the elderly to doctors appointments, to friends homes & shopping it just not a comfortable mode of transportation for them. And when a ramp is needed for rescue pets to the vet.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 11-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #14

OP, have you read this?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-x5-53561.html

You will hear a lot about payload on this forum. Sure, this is a good reference point, but more important are axle and tire limits.

Tongue weight - many just multiply total max gross weight of the trailer by 15% and this is their tongue weight. First, you do not need 15% TW. I am running ca. 10-11% tongue weight (trying to be closer to 10%), but I am towing 60 mph. The lower the speed, the lower tongue weight you need for stability. Second, you do not necessarily load a lot of crap to use 100% load capacity of your trailer. Third, you can always relocate battery from the tongue and (depending on the layout of the trailer) not to pack a lot in front.

Last thing - the yellow sticker on X5 shows 1,100 lbs. This is just generic sticker they put on all X5, regardless of the engine 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder. If you go to CAT scale, you can measure correct payload, which is around 1,400 lbs for my car.

For the small trailer you want to pull, you will find a lot of SUV options.

GL!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #15

My concern with being over Tow capacity or over payload capacity would the implications if you were involved in an accident, even if it were not your fault. Anyone aware of how that could affect your insurance coverage?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #16

Pulling TT with SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post

Thank you.

I started my RV experience with a 2012 Jayflight 185RB and a 2007 F-150. The F-150 had a 4.2 v6 and 5 speed with carpet delete. Gross towing was rated at 2650lbs. After four months of struggling at every turn, I traded for a CPO 2009 Ford Flex SEL with factory tow package. Factory tow on Ford Flex and Explorer is rated at 5000lbs. It performed flawlessly for 88k miles and handled anything the 3500 lb trailer could throw at it. Without tow package (extra trans cooler, oil cooler, factory receiver and harness wiring with bigger alternator) both rated at 3500lbs, as well as Edge and Escape with tow package. Without factory tow package Edge and Escape only rated at 2000lbs. Just adding a receiver does not increase tow capacity on Fords, the factory components (coolers and wiring and bigger alternator) bump capacity. That said, in September 2015 I traded the Flex for an F-150 SuperCrew Ecoboost. In May 2016 traded for a 24ft 'Ultralite' (different mfg) that didn't fit the bill, and came back to Jayco in April this year. Now have a slide and still have a queen bed. Just today got back from a 2000 mile journey from home to Scottsdale Az and back, and it was great. Pulling a sub 6000lb Jayfeather 23RL averaged 12.1mpg which is acceptable. Going stayed in Las Cruses NM, coming home at White Sands. Could have taken northern route on I-40 but only added about 200 miles avoiding any bad weather. While over-nighting, met a lady from Alaska (true snow bird) pulling a 18ft Casita with a Subaru Forrester. She was 'full timing' in her fifth year and she, the TT and the TV looked tired.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #17

My concern with such questions is that they are off topic. OP did not express any intention to tow over tow capacity / payload capacity. If you really want to know how it works, please research the topic or start your own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
My concern with being over Tow capacity or over payload capacity would the implications if you were involved in an accident, even if it were not your fault. Anyone aware of how that could affect your insurance coverage?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:22 AM   #18

GHen, thanks for you concern, that was not and would never be my intention. Safety is my first concern. This thread is asking what SUV's people are currently using so I can limit my search to vehicles that are already "proven" by trusted contributors.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #19

[emoji1303]
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #20

Towing a 2016 23RLSW with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD EcoDiesel.

Trailer weighs #5600 ready to tow.

Per a certified scale I am within #60 of the max RAWR. I'm within #100 of my max CCC.

Towing capacity is #7200.

Like others have said, you have to beware of CCC and the max RAWR.

We just completed a 8700 mile coast to coast trip this summer. Never any issues towing and actual calculated towing MPG was 13.5

I get close to 30 MPG on the highway and it's a very comfortable vehicle to drive and has all the creature comforts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4027.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	45777

Click image for larger version

Name:	66 CMPGRD AB N.M..jpg
Views:	21
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	45778
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags