Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

Question E350 van for TV, performance upgrade for grades?

Hello, I have a 287BHBS that I am towing with an E350 van with a 5.4 engine. It does really well on the road, handles well and keeps up with everybody. The problem is not on regular grades but when I get into the 6% stuff. It's pretty scary. I have to gear way down and it seems like the engine is just about to give up...
I'm happy with the van but would like to give it some more Torque and HP'
I've read alot of blogs on adding cold air intake, adding a performance chip, gearing down to 410, I have 373 right now, but everybody has a different conclusion, and I am pretty much stuck with the van.
Is there anybody out there that has done anything that has helped. I am happy with how it tows on regular runs but it's the every once in awhile that i have to go over a 6% grade. It just seems like it is running just shy of it's happy rpm area. That makes me think that going to a 410 rear end would raise the RPM's just enough to increase it's performance at the slower speed. Or would it just travel slower at the same RPM?
I would appreciate any help from someone that has been there .BillyD
billyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

A couple of things aren't clear: "...when I get into the 6% stuff. It's pretty scary. I have to gear way down and it seems like the engine is just about to give up..."
By 'scary' do you mean the RPMs are very high or ??
By 'it seems the engine is just about to give up' is this, too, an engine RPM issue or ??
Saying "i have to go over a 6% grade. It just seems like it is running just shy of it's happy rpm area." sounds like you'd like the engine RPMs to be higher than they are when going up grades.

"... going to a 410 rear end would raise the RPM's just enough to increase it's performance at the slower speed." Yes, the 4:10s would increase the engine speed for a given road speed.

" Or would it just travel slower at the same RPM?" This, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #3

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I’ll take a look at that forum, sounds like what I was looking for.
In answer to your questions:
Scary is when I am in 1st gear going up the grade and the RPM’s keep dropping lower and lower. It doesn’t stall out but it has nothing left to give. What I’m hoping for is something to increase the power at this lower RPM to be able to keep it up in the more efficient power band.
So going to the 410 rear end sounds like a possible solution. It makes sense.
Thanks for your input, Bill
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

4.10 gears are absolutely worth it! It will help you out greatly. And I'm pretty sure your van is 2wd (right?) so cost wise it won't be too bad since you only have 1 differential to do.

The 5.4L will respond well to power increasing mods as well, which is the other part of your issue. Depending on your budget, there are options. On the basic end, I would start with a cold air intake, and then a tune from a reputable company like 5 star. My friend added a tune to his 5.4L F150 and the difference was impressive. There are also high flow exhaust kits out there that aren't noisy at all, but just let the engine breathe easier.

The 5.4L also has the ability to be supercharged fairly easily (the F-150 Lightning was a supercharged 5.4L) but that's starting to get into bigger cost. Still a worthwhile option if you plan on keeping it for a while.

I was in your shoes a few years ago with my '03 F150 with the 4.6L. I ended up getting a bigger truck, but when I was considering keeping it, 4.10 gears and a supercharger was my plan.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Thank you Skybound. That is encouraging. It seems like the engine just needs a little help to stay in it's happy place, and it's only on the really steep grades.
It is a 2wd so I only have to do one differential and the cold air intake is next. I'm based in California so I have to watch out for all the emission restrictions for aftermarket modifications.
Thanks again for your input...Billyd
Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

One other ratio question: Do you have larger than OEM diameter tires on your van? The diameter of the rear tires is part of the vehicle's overall 'gear ratio'.

Exhaust system...
How old is your van & exhaust? My brother had a VERY different vehicle (Mustang), but he had a world of problems getting it to to run right at high rpm due to an internally collapsed muffler. A vacuum gauge should be helpful to rule out that problem or an otherwise overly restrictive exhaust.

In fact, checking for a restrictive exhaust that would be a good place to start before any mods: If exhaust restriction is part of your problem, correcting that first would help all the other solutions (cold air, tuners, etc.).

Cooling system...
Does your engine have a variable speed fan that has failed and is constantly locked up? That will sap engine power, especially at high rpm.

I hope you get this corrected to your satisfaction. I've often thought a van pulling a trailer would be a great idea for my DW and I. It just seems it's not done very often.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #7

The van is a 2009 with only 30,000 miles on it so everything is in good shape. I got a quote for a 410 rear end install today for $700. That seems pretty reasonable. I might try that and the cold air intake and see how things go.
I appreciate your feedback on this and look forward to letting you know how things work out..
Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

It does depend on how much money you want to throw at it. Heck, you could do a diesel installation if you really wanted to.

Is that Sun City AZ or somewhere else? Are you trying to tow at higher altitudes? That creates more power loss. How heavy is the trailer and are you loading up the van as well?

Yes, your engine can be modified for more power. But, I would have a very reputable shop do it. Typical car type hot rod places can be 'unreliable'. Slapping a turbocharger or supercharger on an engine is not a simple thing. Typically it requires a lot of other mods to the point that it may be better to just buy a crate engine that is already set up the way you want.

PS how far are you towing? Cross country or weekend trips to the mountains/lake?
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

As per my sig, I am towing a similar sized trailer with a 2010 F150 with the 5.4 and 6 spd transmission (I think the gas F350's kept the 4 spd for those years but I could be wrong). Whether you have 4spd or 6spd may impact how much benefit you get out of upgrading to 4.10's.

Once warranty was up on my F150, I installed a 5 star tuner with custom tunes. They claim a 40ft/lb increase in torque with premium gas and it definitely improves shift strategy and towing particularly in the mountains.

If you can get a 15% bump in torque the 4.10's and another 10-12% with a tuner and improved shift strategy, it would probably improve your towing experience.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.4l, e350, for steep grades, increase torgue