Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #1

Eagle HT Weight Distribution Question

We just upgraded from a Jayflight to an Eagle HT 312BHOK and I've been trying to research a weight distribution hitch. The problem is that the Eagle has a cargo tray up front and there is almost no room between it and the propane tanks for the brackets of most systems. Does anyone have this trailer and use a weight distribution system that they would recommend?
pdechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdechon View Post
We just upgraded from a Jayflight to an Eagle HT 312BHOK and I've been trying to research a weight distribution hitch. The problem is that the Eagle has a cargo tray up front and there is almost no room between it and the propane tanks for the brackets of most systems. Does anyone have this trailer and use a weight distribution system that they would recommend?
We just bought the smaller version Eagle HT, the 284BHOK. Our dealer had no trouble installing the BlueOx SwayPro brackets. We were looking at the 312 at first, and I think the A frame is very similar in regards to the tanks and platform.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Keithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #3

We have a 274CKDS and use an Equal-I-Zer hitch, no problem with the installation.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:20 AM   #4

Thanks, I'm looking at the Blue Ox hitches right now on etrailer.com. I think it's between that one and the Equalizer hitches that might work best for me.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #5

I think the Weigh Safe WDH is one of the best on the market right now. Its built-in weight gauge allows you to always dynamically dial in the best setting for whatever the current load is.

Also, the build quality is incredible.

Watch this video for more information.

There are a lot of YouTube reviews and tests about it if you want more information and other's opinions.

I own one and couldn't be happier with it.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:26 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. All of my searches have come up with the Weigh Safe being top tier.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:27 AM   #7

Great, I'm liking the Equalizer and Blue Ox hitches and it's good to hear that installation wasn't an issue.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdechon View Post
Great, I'm liking the Equalizer and Blue Ox hitches and it's good to hear that installation wasn't an issue.
I personally would skip the blue ox, my boss had nothing but issues with porpoising and trailer sway towing a reflection 315RLTS. After many tries of dialing it in he gave up and bought the equalizer. All the issues he was having was gone swapping hitch alone.
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
I think the Weigh Safe WDH is one of the best on the market right now. Its built-in weight gauge allows you to always dynamically dial in the best setting for whatever the current load is.

There are a lot of YouTube reviews and tests about it if you want more information and other's opinions.

Looks a lot like the Equal-I-Zer hitch without the gauge. That gauge is a pretty cool idea. Are they priced close?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:

x2 Highly recommend!

I have one and also got the accompanying standard and pintle hitch to work with the steel True Tow draw bar. Its a great system and very nicely built.

Previously I used the Equalizer. A huge benefit to Weigh Safe is carrying less large wrenches/sockets to service and adjust the hitch. The Weigh Safe hitch head has pins and locks, the ball is pinned in place, there's just less to worry about!

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:

I have a Weigh-Safe also I use it for another travel trailer and want to use it for a new Jayco we purchased. Weigh-Safe now says their Weight Distribution hitch is not compatible with Jayco due to the trailer coupler being mounted to the bottom of the frame. Weigh-Safe WDH requires 9" from the top of the trailer frame to the spring arm. Has anyone experienced any issues with Weigh-Safe on a Jayco?
mmiguelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiguelez View Post
I have a Weigh-Safe also I use it for another travel trailer and want to use it for a new Jayco we purchased. Weigh-Safe now says their Weight Distribution hitch is not compatible with Jayco due to the trailer coupler being mounted to the bottom of the frame. Weigh-Safe WDH requires 9" from the top of the trailer frame to the spring arm. Has anyone experienced any issues with Weigh-Safe on a Jayco?
I use the Weigh Safe WDH on my 2021 Jayco 27RB. It's true that the configuration of the Jayco trailer coupler causes the spring arms to be at a slight angle on the supports rather than being perfectly flat.

I contacted Weigh Safe about this including photos, and their engineering team said that it shouldn't be a significant issue. I was scheduled to travel the next day so I had no choice but to believe them.

I then traveled over 1,500 miles in bad wintery conditions with the WDH and it performed flawlessly. I also experienced winds 30-40 MPH and felt no significant sway. I was highly pleased with the performance of the hitch.

After a few months, I drove another 1,500 miles back home and had no issues with the WDH whatsoever. All in all, it's been fantastic.

Weigh Safe could easily fix this issue simply by supplying slightly longer spring arm supports. I'm surprised they haven't done that by now. In any case, I don't think it's a big issue as it did not seem to affect the performance of the hitch.

If you have any concerns, you can easily have the supports lengthened by a welder for a reasonable cost. I'm not going to bother doing that myself because after traveling with it for over 3,000 miles, I had no problems and my concerns were alleviated. But, if Weigh Safe is now saying that it's not compatible, you should decide for yourself. Since you already own the hitch, go ahead and install it on the Jayco and see if you think it will be an issue. Take photos and send them to Weigh Safe for their opinion as I did. Then you can make up your own mind about what you wish to do.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #13

Here is some more information. This is the photo I sent to Weigh Safe showing their hitch mounted on my Jayco 27RB:

Note the very slight angle the spring bar has where it contacts the spring bar support bracket mounted on the Jayco's frame. That is the only issue with using the WDH on the Jayco. Frankly, it's hardly noticeable.

Here is what Weigh Safe replied (enlarge to read):

I would contact them yourself to see if anything has changed.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
I use the Weigh Safe WDH on my 2021 Jayco 27RB. It's true that the configuration of the Jayco trailer coupler causes the spring arms to be at a slight angle on the supports rather than being perfectly flat.

I contacted Weigh Safe about this including photos, and their engineering team said that it shouldn't be a significant issue. I was scheduled to travel the next day so I had no choice but to believe them.

I then traveled over 1,500 miles in bad wintery conditions with the WDH and it performed flawlessly. I also experienced winds 30-40 MPH and felt no significant sway. I was highly pleased with the performance of the hitch.

After a few months, I drove another 1,500 miles back home and had no issues with the WDH whatsoever. All in all, it's been fantastic.

Weigh Safe could easily fix this issue simply by supplying slightly longer spring arm supports. I'm surprised they haven't done that by now. In any case, I don't think it's a big issue as it did not seem to affect the performance of the hitch.

If you have any concerns, you can easily have the supports lengthened by a welder for a reasonable cost. I'm not going to bother doing that myself because after traveling with it for over 3,000 miles, I had no problems and my concerns were alleviated. But, if Weigh Safe is now saying that it's not compatible, you should decide for yourself. Since you already own the hitch, go ahead and install it on the Jayco and see if you think it will be an issue. Take photos and send them to Weigh Safe for their opinion as I did. Then you can make up your own mind about what you wish to do.
Thank you so much for that feedback. That is exactly what I was looking for.
mmiguelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiguelez View Post
snip........Weigh-Safe now says their Weight Distribution hitch is not compatible with Jayco due to the trailer coupler being mounted to the bottom of the frame........snip
Recent JOF thread update on the subject here reference Post #6:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1096890

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eagle, towing, travel trailer, weight distibution hitch