Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Eaz-Lift ReCurve R6 Hitch

Does anyone have this type of hitch and if so, thoughts? I am a huge Equalizer fan but the dealership I am looking to buy an Eagle from is saying this is far superior. He wants to charge me $800 for the Equalizer when I can get it from RV Wholesalers for $458. He won't install if I don't buy from them
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

I read about the recurve a while back, don't remember all that much specifically.

I will say that knowing what I know now, I would NOT pay that difference (458.00 to 800.00) to the dealer to install any hitch. Chances are that you're going to have to reconfigure the hitch after you get the trailer loaded anyway. I would buy the hitch from RVW, install it as best I could with estimated or stated measurements of the level coupler height of the trailer you're buying and finish the install in the dealer's lot (bring the necessary tools, and study/print the install instructions THOROUGHLY before you go).

But then I have the 1/2" drive sockets and long-handles that are needed for the very large, high torque bolts these hitches use; I carry them with me always when I'm towing.

I would also mention to the dealer that he can have the sale of the hitch and some labor to install it, or he can lose the sale entirely. Up to him, but I wouldn't pay what he's asking, that's too much IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I read about the recurve a while back, don't remember all that much specifically.

I will say that knowing what I know now, I would NOT pay that difference (458.00 to 800.00) to the dealer to install any hitch. Chances are that you're going to have to reconfigure the hitch after you get the trailer loaded anyway. I would buy the hitch from RVW, install it as best I could with estimated or stated measurements of the level coupler height of the trailer you're buying and finish the install in the dealer's lot (bring the necessary tools, and study/print the install instructions THOROUGHLY before you go).

But then I have the 1/2" drive sockets and long-handles that are needed for the very large, high torque bolts these hitches use; I carry them with me always when I'm towing.

I would also mention to the dealer that he can have the sale of the hitch and some labor to install it, or he can lose the sale entirely. Up to him, but I wouldn't pay what he's asking, that's too much IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2boxer View Post
Does anyone have this type of hitch and if so, thoughts? I am a huge Equalizer fan but the dealership I am looking to buy an Eagle from is saying this is far superior. He wants to charge me $800 for the Equalizer when I can get it from RV Wholesalers for $458. He won't install if I don't buy from them
X2 for Camper_bob.

Go to RV Wholesalers and get the Equal-i-zer hitch.
I can understand the Dealer will not install it for free if he didn't sell it to you, BUT... Don't let your Dealer financially hold you hostage! If you want, see how much he would charge to install it. It's your money, not his... You make the decisions.
BTW, I think the Equal-i-zer is a GREAT hitch!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

RB,

Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info if needed, including how to adjust the system.

Definitely need at least a 1/2" drive socket set and breaker bar. I actually bought a 3/4" breaker bar from Harbor Freight, and a socket to tighten the ball. I do use a 3/4"-1/2" adapter for the hitch head bolts. And at times a 2' or 3' pipe as a "persuader" on the 3/4" breaker bar!

There is a member in GM-Trucks.com that had the R6. Believe he still does. Last I knew he was pretty happy with the system. Not sure I would say it is way better than an Equal-I-Zer system, but no way is it worth that much!!!

Good luck on everything!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

I know nothing about the recurve other than the few minutes of looking at their Web site. The one thing that scares me is the bars being up high. I wonder what wo u ld happen during tight turns, or during an accidental jackknifing. The bars have to compete fir space with the ball during tho as we conditions.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #6

There's another post on here where the EAZ unit broke at the weld. Chinese manufactured, and looks weak. The Eqaulizer is a bear, well made.
I know the dealer you're referring to. They will price match, you just need to ask.
Good luck.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
There's another post on here where the EAZ unit broke at the weld. Chinese manufactured, and looks weak. The Eqaulizer is a bear, well made.
I know the dealer you're referring to. They will price match, you just need to ask.
Good luck.
Thanks, after some back and forth they did match and $60 to install. For the $60 I'm gonna let them do it. I do feel much better about the Equalizer, I have used it for years, without issue and just a solid unit. The R6 is just too new and not enough proven data on it in my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

FYI: a post on the Facebook HTT group says,

"the only ball that it comes with is a 2 5/16" ball, and it is not replaceable. The ball has a 7" shank that goes thru the entire head section."
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
FYI: a post on the Facebook HTT group says,

"the only ball that it comes with is a 2 5/16" ball, and it is not replaceable. The ball has a 7" shank that goes thru the entire head section."

I was going to post the same thing.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #10

Every dealership will tell you that whatever they are selling is far better than anything else.. BS.. If you already have an equalizer hitch then transfer it over and save yourself the money..
Now if you want the best hitch money can buy go with a Hensley Arrow... be sitting down when you look at the price...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2boxer View Post
I haven't read through all the posts but I have the R3 on my 25BHS WH and it works great! No sway at all from big rigs going by or heavy cross winds driving through eastern WA. The dealer only had the R3 when I bought the trailer so that is what I got but after a couple of months they started selling the R6 version. If I had a choice I would of got the R6 for convenience of the adjusting the sway control with the alan wrench. However great product and I have had no problems with tight turns it backs up jack knifed into a campsite when the sway control is engaged. I probably should loosen it up when I get out and scope out my surroundings at the campsite and see if there is any difference backing up but so far no problems. You do have to have the pins on the arms lined up to the brackets perfectly or it's a pain in the arse. But I have it dialed in and all I do is lower the trailer onto the ball, lock the TT, power up the tongue jack to lift up the back end of the truck a little, and the bars swing on with ease and I don't have to use the arm thing to lift the bars up onto the platform to lock the pins in. Then I lower the TT back down finish the hookup and off I go

Hope this helps anyone wanting to buy one. I hear a lot about the equalizer but never had one since this is my first TT. I believe they have the market on WDH's that people buy them cause most dealers have them. But I'm a greenhorn and can't comment much further on the competition.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote