Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #11

In my above post, I said I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Well, we did. Bought a nice 2015 EB 3.5, max tow, 3.55, Supercrew. Ford made some nice improvements and dropped the ball on a couple of things. All in all though, a nicer truck to drive.

Oddly enough, we didn't "blow any turbos". In fact we didn't ever have to take it back to a dealer for anything. I hope this new one gives as good service. My wife drives the truck 90% of the time.

kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #12

The Eco Boost F150 is a great platform and certainly deserves it fair credit. However, as I have recently found; approach such faith with caution. Not just with the F150 eco boost but with any platform (1/2 ton). I posted a story regarding my neighbor and his F150 under the thread, "length to weight". In my thread a couple of people speculated that his payload and towing was overweight, if they payed attention to the information I provided they would know that issue was addressed.
The issue was not weight. He was well within what the F150 could handle safely. His speed wasn't a factor. As we (my neighbor and I) have been discussing and following with the insurance investigators, the issue involves length of the trailer and lack of ass end in the truck and a perfect storm of circumstances hitting at the same time.
Just because you can do a thing, does not mean you should do the thing.
We have been shopping around and he is currently looking at a couple of options in the 3/4 ton range for his new TT. Of especially good news, he is looking and focusing on a Jayco to replace his coachman.

2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #13

Ecobeast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
The Eco Boost F150 is a great platform and certainly deserves it fair credit. However, as I have recently found; approach such faith with caution. Not just with the F150 eco boost but with any platform (1/2 ton). I posted a story regarding my neighbor and his F150 under the thread, "length to weight". In my thread a couple of people speculated that his payload and towing was overweight, if they payed attention to the information I provided they would know that issue was addressed.
The issue was not weight. He was well within what the F150 could handle safely. His speed wasn't a factor. As we (my neighbor and I) have been discussing and following with the insurance investigators, the issue involves length of the trailer and lack of ass end in the truck and a perfect storm of circumstances hitting at the same time.
Just because you can do a thing, does not mean you should do the thing.
We have been shopping around and he is currently looking at a couple of options in the 3/4 ton range for his new TT. Of especially good news, he is looking and focusing on a Jayco to replace his coachman.

I read that thread and think it had a lot more to do with the situation than the truck. That being said I won't tow anything over 30' without the truck being a 1 ton, crew cab long bed. I had a an 05 ram 2500 quad cab short bed cummins, that had plenty of power and carrying ability but it got pushed around towing a travel trailer more than my f150 does due to the really short wheelbase.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #14

I read these threads with interest. I see huge trailers being pulled by half tons. Owners claim "never know it was there" or "pulled it with no problems", etc.. I see good sized trailers being pulled with all kinds of wannabe half tons and mid-sized SUVs. Makes me shiver to see some of the setups.

Our truck is my wife's daily driver and is adequate for our 197. Sure, the truck has lots of power and torque, but it is just a half ton. I know the trailer is behind. I wouldn't want to be pulling that trailer with anything any lighter or smaller, that is for certain.

I notice a warning decal on the hitch area of our trailer that it is not to be pulled by a truck rated at one ton or heavier. Probably the heavy springs in the truck would shake the trailer to pieces. Today's half tons and trailers like our 197 are pretty flimsy.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

A comparible f250 to mine with 6.7 cummins has 670 lbs more payload capacity and around 3000lbs more towing. Towing is not the issue with the ecoboost the gvwr is where it starts to hit its limitations. if I towed with an f250 I would be 500 lbs under the gvwr. For me it's not worth to have a diesel, rougher riding, higher maintenance vehicle for the 2 to 3 thousand km I tow a year. I actually think they should put an ecoboost option in a 250 chassis. Makes very similar power to the current 6.0 gasser. The difference in stats between the f150 and f250 is not as profound regarding capacities as you think. Jmo. I am only talking about the chassis of the vehicles not comparing a 6.7 diesel to ecoboost. Not much comparison there rearding the power difference....