Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Suzieshome; a positive mind is always happier. So always convert the influencing outside
negativity into "Positive". And always stay within the limits.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Saw this one and wanted to add #2cents..

Having had both the 2.7 and now the 3.5, I can say this.

The 2.7 will pull a Jayco 27RBOK without issue - for a long distance, and will get around 17 to 19mpg doing it. As long as its on flat roads, it'll attempt to stay in 5th, sometimes shifting out - depending on the speed your rolling and eventually shift back to 6 and 5th again.. It has a two/haul mode that opens up a bit more air controller and cooler info to the transmission and then "S" for sport - if you can call pulling a big trailer sporty - about all its good for is making engine breaking a little better.

The 3.5, which I have now, will pull the same load, in high gear - if you go 70mph, it'll be in 6th most of the trip, on occasion slipping to 5th or 4th to really get the load moving but, it is a little quieter as it has a lot more grunt... from down low to high, it does it with more uuumph... BUT.. you're going to be down in V8 land for economy - from 15 to 18mpg - which was excellent compared to my 5.4ltr... at around 8mpg.

I have tow packages on both, the 2015 2.7 didn't come with the trailer package, all of them have it now.. The 2016 I have in the 3.5 came with the automated backup, I never use it - it has trailer brakes as well and does really well.

Both have more power than my original 5.4 ltr even with the chip added - the 2.7ltr is half the motor, and more HP, the 3.5ltr is more of both torque and HP... for a little less mpg.

I had a hail issue on my 2015, ended up with a 2016 with a little bigger motor, and was happy with the 3.5ltr when I saw it would roll in 6th pulling the trailer 70Mph...

Great deal, and I agree - a major investment.

Hope this helps someone.. T
TXmayvilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #23

Get the 3.5 eco boost. We took a 2,400 mile road trip with friends driving a F150 3.5 eco boost, from Rexas to Washington. Even crossed the continental Divide. Our tow vehicle was a 2013 5.7L tundra and were were both towing White Hawk 24MBH’s. The F150 out performed the Tundra, both on the road and in the Rockies. Even if have to buy a ore-owned get the Ford eco boost
ducati3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #24

Good to know. That is the next trailer we want to buy. Just picked up our 2018 F150 3.5 eco boost. Brother in law bought the 5L 8 cylinder and is not convinced mine has better torque.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
Good to know. That is the next trailer we want to buy. Just picked up our 2018 F150 3.5 eco boost. Brother in law bought the 5L 8 cylinder and is not convinced mine has better torque.
You got him by almost 100lb.ft!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Boy glad to read something positive. Just picked up our 3.5 with 3.55 and was beginning o think we made a mistake. Can the nay sayers define “heavy towing?
You'll run out of payload way before you run out of rope on that 3.5 EB motor.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Ask him how's it feel to be beat by the numbers:
Beat it by torque.
Beat by weight.
Beat by Mpg.

Unless you both have stock in the "Texas Flying Mile" to test top-end, and tuning, I'd lay money on the 3.5L not only leaving the 5L but, you'll get there without having to fill up. LOL..
TXmayvilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Alright, give me the EcoBoost for real:

We are now looking at 150s. I cannot tell what the deal is with the 2.7 EcoBoost F150s. The maximum trailering capacity on the dealer sites says 5,000 lbs. I looked on the Ford corporate site specifications page. It showed more capacity and more options for weights, but how do I know the specifics for the trucks on the lot?

Also are these little 2.7 engines for real? It sure does not work out too well in my old "no replacement for displacement" mind. I may not be able to afford a 3.5 EcoBoost. Please spare me the hype, hyperbole, and anecdotal legends. Just shoot straight. This is a huge investment for us.

The 2.7 eco (3.55 axle ratio) pulls our 24 rbs with ease. Prior to us buying, the dealer let us use it for the weekend and even encouraged us to load up the trailer. Well we did, and we loaded it up past what we would ever carry on a trip. Full tank of water, and anything else of Substantial weight I could find went in.

Off we went, first pull out onto the street I knew this engine was no joke but we headed to a fairly large incline that my older 6.0 gm used to struggle up. The 2.7 eco pulled it up the hill with zero fuss and I could have easily gained speed. I repeated this several times trying to heat sink the turbos but it held steady. We know have 42k trouble free miles and average about 20 mpg unloaded (I have a heavy foot) and 9-10 towing.

Don’t be afraid of the 2.7 it’s a good engine and you will have fun out pulling all other trucks in its class. (My Hemi driving BIL became a believer over Memorial Day weekend [emoji848]) Now this is strictly from a power plant perspective. I won’t get into the weight debate.

Good luck with your decision.
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote