Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #1

electric jack

Hi all, I am not sure what section to post this question in! I have not ever had a problem with this, but the last time we used our trailer (Jay Feather) it occurred to me that it might be a HUGE problem if the electric jack on the front of the trailer ever failed to work. I looked around it and could not see any way that you could manually raise it or lower it. I know, probably a silly question, but we are first time owners and totally did not get a proper walk through from the dealer. So far so good, just figuring it out as we go. But I sure would hate to have an issue with the jack! Can anyone explain how this works? Thanks!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 AM   #2

I am 2 for 2 with trailers that had tongue jack failures. In my opinion, it is a matter of when, not if, it will fail.

There is usually some type of rubber or plastic plug on the top to remove, exposing a nut that is used to drive the shaft. It can be turned by the wrench provided with the trailer, usually also for manually operating the slide.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
I am 2 for 2 with trailers that had tongue jack failures. In my opinion, it is a matter of when, not if, it will fail.

There is usually some type of rubber or plastic plug on the top to remove, exposing a nut that is used to drive the shaft. It can be turned by the wrench provided with the trailer, usually also for manually operating the slide.

X2

There should be a removable cover to expose the drive like Jason described.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post

X3

I had to use the manual crank once when the fuse blew and I didn't have a large enough fuse to replace it. It takes a lot of cranking, but in a pinch it will do.

That said - I added an electric tongue jack to my 2007 Outback TT and I never had a failure in 8 years. And aside from blowing a fuse on my Jayco jack, I've had no problems with this one. But I hear of many people who have had problems. If the motor goes out, the manual crank will work. But if the gears give out, it could be a crap shoot as to whether the manual crank will do any good. Maybe someone else with experience can speak to that scenario.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

That is what I am doing now, jack quit! On the top of the jack it is a small plastic level, that unscrew and comes off,
Looking a getting a Bulldog Jack, Anybody have one, or can recommend one
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 036.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

I'd say it depends on which electric jack you have. I've seen them with the rubber plug on top (which can leak and cause the failure) and a bolt-head on the side for the wrench.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
That is what I am doing now, jack quit! On the top of the jack it is a small plastic level, that unscrew and comes off,
Looking a getting a Bulldog Jack, Anybody have one, or can recommend one
I replaced my factory jack with a Husky Brute and I love it! It uses a screw drive with ball bearings, so it's super smooth and quiet. I also went up to 4500 lbs from the factory 3500 lb jack.

Added: I had to use the manual override once with my old jack and it actually worked BETTER than using it with power! Only downside is I have to remove my propane tank cover to use it. Most jacks I have seen just use a small rubber grommet on top to access the manual override. My Husky actually requires you to disengage the motor before operating manually. Also the new jack is installed with a circuit breaker instead of a fuse, but the jack has "smart stop", so it's not going to be jack travel that trips the breaker if it goes.
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #8

My atwood elec jack has an opening on the face of it, facing the truck, for a handle that came with it. It requries the specific handle, not a a socket or wrench. I have used it once when I went to move my trailer from storage to home, forgot to bring my batteries with me and I was to lazy to drive the 1/3 mile home to get them.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

For the longevity of your jack:

COVER IT!!!!!

Any bit of water seeping in will ruin the electrical connections, the motor and/or the gear train.

I've got a 5 gallon bucket (part of fresh water collection when boondocking) that lives over the jack head when not underway.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

I found a little bag at camping world to cover it up with. I also put the 7-pin round plug up inside it and pull the drawstring to keep it there. Hopefully it helps with corrosion on that too.
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote