Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #21

My Equal-i-zer brand hitch (E4) has served me well for over a dozen years! There are many others on this site that are pleased with their Equal-i-zer hitches.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
It has been posted on various RV forums that some folks with heavier loaded TT tongue weights (1,000lbs plus) have experienced difficulty maintaining proper weight transfer to the TV's front suspension with the Anderson WDH.

I believe the Anderson WDH has gone through some recent design changes, but I'm not familiar enough with the product to comment on the impact of the changes. A general "search" will bring up many informative user experiences on the Anderson WDH product...., and other integrated sway control WDH's as well.

Like any WDH proper sizing/adjustment is key......, along with a CAT scale confirmation on the TV/TT weight limitations.

Bob

It is my opinion that the issue that some users have experienced with the Andersen and heavier tongue weight trailers comes from the installation of the hitch itself. Specifically, the length of the tension chains and the placement of the brackets on the trailer frame is key to the weight distribution efficiency of the hitch.

The installation instructions give a suggested distance range from the hitch head the the brackets on the trailer tongue. Even mounting the brackets within that range, there may not be enough movement on the tension bolts to provide enough weight distribution. Andersen's instructions mention briefly that shortening the chains may be necessary. After a couple of visits to the scale, I ended up trimming 2 full links off of my tension chains. After that, there is absolutely no problem with moving weight forward to the steer axle and I have plenty of room for more on the tension bolts. I suspect that at least some of those who have had concerns about weight distribution with the Andersen hitch have not properly trimmed their chain lengths to make the hitch work properly.
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #23

I really appreciate this discussion on WDHs, especially the Andersen. My tongue weight is 780 pounds as measured using a CAT scale. That was with me trying to keep the weight as low as possible. Now we have a new 3/4 truck, there is no worry at all about overloading the rear axle, like we were by 200 pounds on the 1/2 ton. As our camper is in storage I have not even had the chance to hook it up to the new truck to see how it does. Mostly I think I would need a WDH for its sway control even though we really didn’t have any problems without one. Everyone that I have talked to both here and in person, says that a WDH really makes towing a lot smoother. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
snip..... I suspect that at least some of those who have had concerns about weight distribution with the Andersen hitch have not properly trimmed their chain lengths to make the hitch work properly.
I would have to believe it would have a positive effect on 'dialing-in' the performance of the WDH.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Micah,

Welcome to JOF

Just curious, what weight class TT are you considering for the Equal-i-zer and the Anderson?

Between the two brand WDH's I lean toward the Equal-i-zer for the long, heavy loaded TT's.

Bob
Hi Bob, I forgot to mention that in my post. I have a Jayflight G@ 31 BHS with a dry TT weight of 7,000 lbs (tongue weighs 700 lbs) and with cargo I'm looking at about 9,000 lbs in total.
micahruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
With all due respect to Jagiven, the Andersen is extremely simple. The only “special tool” needed is a large socket they provide to tighten the nuts at the end of the chains. No need to unscrew them again unless you change TVs or TTs. To hitch/unhitch you simply raise the tongue a few inches and pull the hitch pin on the triangle plate. Takes just seconds. In 10k miles using the Andersen over two years, lining up the TV and hitch has never been a problem. A couple of times I was at an angle but it took just a few seconds to pull it straight. If it’s raining, I’m already wet anyway from hitching up (although I suspect I can hitch my Andersen a lot quicker than a conventional WDH.)

So far, the brake material hasn’t budged, and I’ve seen no sign of metal fatigue. I did have a bent hitch pin and Andersen sent me a new one no charge. I’ve towed in 30-40 mph side winds and had no sway. The hitch works great, at least for my 5k-pound trailer. And the fact that it is light enough that DW can carry it (and no grease) is a bonus. As you can see, I’m a big fan.
As I said, I do not have any personal experience with the Andersen hitch, only see it advertised, number of videos on it over the years, watched people in a site or two over hooking up. As an mechanical engineer, I am always intrigue by how things work, I also tend to see potential issues. In my job, reliability of equipment working with industrial manufacturing is so important.

Is a large socket truly a specialty tool, not really. But every hook up I have seen done, the wrench was used.

I have not seen is any videos or descriptions showing un/hooking the hitch the way you describe. It would be a good set of youtube videos for someone to do, with a good description name.

Our trailers are fairly similar in weight. This TT, I probably have just shy of 30K miles on it. Like you I have seen lots of cross wind, never been an issue. Only time I have had issues was with crazy head wind 50+mph (got like 4 mpg that day), I should have pulled over, but had a somewhere I had to be! The only thing I ever feel while driving is if a large Greyhound bus like vehicle passes me. I get a small nudge. Any other vehicle I don't notice.

I tend to leave my Equalizer WDH on the TV while at camp, the one thing that I REALLY like, I use the bar as a step to help get into the back of the truck.

There are a lot of good hitches out there. I think the most important item is to ensure that it has integrated sway control, and it is sized for your combo.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #27

I was going to get an Andersen as well, but when I contacted them I was advised I needed to get the longer brackets since I have the underslung coupler on the trailer, Otherwise the chains would bind. I could not locate a kit with what I needed so I just went with the E4 10K, it seems to be doing ok. Only 2 drives with it so far so not much experience yet.

I wonder however if this is one reason why people say they can't transfer enough weight back to the front.... the wrong brackets?
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
I wonder however if this is one reason why people say they can't transfer enough weight back to the front.... the wrong brackets?
Personally I don't see how that design style can effectively transfer much weight at all. Even when adjusted properly. I just don't buy it.

But the Andersen guys will argue that point.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #29

In our case with the older (2014) half ton truck with the golf cart in the bed, the camper takes 300-320 pounds off the front axle compared to just me and the golf cart alone without the camper (24RBS). I am sure that just about any WDH is capable of recovering most, if not all of that amount of weight. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #30

I’m using the equalizer on my 2012 Tacoma pulling a 16XRB. I spec’ed the equalizer for 600 lb max tongue wt. trailer tongue wt is 325. With the PolyPro glide friction inserts installed it dosnt make any noise.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #31

I put about 12,000 miles on an Andersen and about the same on the Equalizer that you can see below. The Andersen was on a lighter tt before our 23RLS with no problems.
I like the Equalizer better and will stick with that on the next camper
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #32

I have watched this thread with interest as I did have the first gen Andersen and loved it with the exception of it not moving enough weight forward. The TV and trailer were level but scales don't lie. I can't speak for the latest Andersen but hope it does as has been stated.

Prior to the Andersen, we had used the first and second generation of the Reese Draw-Tite WDH on several trailers since way back in 1983 and currently have the Reese Steadi-Flex that I absolutely love! Not to difficult to set up and moves enough weight, as it should.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have not seen is any videos or descriptions showing un/hooking the hitch the way you describe. It would be a good set of youtube videos for someone to do, with a good description name.
Here’s a video that shows the hitching process and how easy it is. And this is with the old, “fitted” collar rather that the newer one that hinges on the hitch pin. I have seen campers unscrew the nuts behind the compression bushings and detach the chains each time they unhitch, but that makes no sense. You’d still have to disconnect them from the hitch ball.

I’m not dissing the traditional WDHs by any means. Whatever works for each person is what they should go with. For us, the light weight, ease of connecting and superb sway control was what, er, swayed us (sorry).
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Here’s a video that shows the hitching process and how easy it is. And this is with the old, “fitted” collar rather that the newer one that hinges on the hitch pin. I have seen campers unscrew the nuts behind the compression bushings and detach the chains each time they unhitch, but that makes no sense. You’d still have to disconnect them from the hitch ball.

I’m not dissing the traditional WDHs by any means. Whatever works for each person is what they should go with. For us, the light weight, ease of connecting and superb sway control was what, er, swayed us (sorry).
Yup, that was my experience with hitching and unhitching. Easy as pie. That video does show on thing incorrectly. The pin should go back in the ball cone, not in the plate. There is c clip that retains the ball cone, but the pin is there for safety. The original had a temporary sleeve to allow standard towing with just the ball.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #35

I upgraded my hitch ball part last year. It has a permanent retainer ring. So I leave my pin with the triangle plate.
Never had a problem with the old one getting loose even though I left it on for thousands of miles with no pin or trailer. Makes a great anti-rear ender prev-enter! LOL
I also upgraded the pin with one from Farm and Fleet that has a nice big handle on the end. Sometimes it is hard to put in or pull out if there is a little sand or dirt on the pin.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Micah,

Appreciate the follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahruns View Post
snip......I have a Jayflight G@ 31BHS with a dry TT weight of 7,000 lbs (tongue weighs 700 lbs) and with cargo I'm looking at about 9,000 lbs in total.
Your F-250 diesel is a nice match for your heavier (2008-2009) Jay Flight G2 31BHS with a published 9,000lb GVWR....., and I agree with your original post inquiry looking into comparing WDH's with 'integrated sway control'.

With the 31BHS moderately loaded at 8,200lbs the recommended loaded tongue weight would be 1,100lb to 1,200lb (13% to 15%)......, and loaded at 9,000lbs = 1,170lb to 1,350lb range.

Once you decide on your new WDH, a CAT Scale weigh-in will dial-in your WDH adjustments confirming proper weight distribution..., plus provide other important data.

CAT Scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #37

Equalizers

I have used an Eaz-Lift for 15 years without blinking an eye. Equalizer for me.
Dieseldog59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #38

Husky Centerline

Have you looked at the Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch with sway control? Very happy with it!!

https://pdn.azureedge.net/ImageServe...g&maxwidth=550
Goweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #39

Welcome, I use the equalizer on my 2020 Silverado 2500 and it is absolutely wonderful I feel safer with a solid steel bar as opposed to a chain but either one is safe but that is just my preference.
JaycoJoyrider273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #40

I started with a Husky Bar Type and then went with an Andersen for 2 Years. I was Given a Hensley 3 Months ago, Man did that Cost Me. It is such a Big Hitch that I had to Buy a New Trailer to fit the Hensley. I loved the Andersen. I pulled a 6800lb TT with it in all kinds of Weather and Road Conditions with No Problems. The Only thing I can Compare it with is the Husky and of course the Hensley, so it's from one Extreme to Another. If I were to go back to a Lighter Trailer , I would Reinstall My Andersen. Hated the Husky with the Heavy Bars and having to use Grease all the Time.
Rear Air Shocks. Ride Rite. 10 PSI.
Hensley Arrow.
G.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andersen, equalizer, hitch, weight distribution hitch