Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #41

So I actually had the equalizer model that you have there.

It actually worked very well for me but there were definitely some cons to it.

The hitch that it connected to was stupidly heavy, and if I had to move it more than a few feet as I got older I learned to use a dolly because it kicked my ass on my lower back. Especially when you’re squatting down to try to get it to wiggle in to place.

Additionally those bars and the hitch ball do need to be stored somewhere, when not in use. So when I got to my campsite I would have to disconnect all that off the back of my truck before I could go driving around or else you have like 3 1/2 foot long antennas sticking out the back of your truck LOL.

Also I banged myself in the shin with them more than once.

Also the kind of J shaped hooks that go into the square hole that hold those bars against the trailer will bend after a while and you’ll have to replace those, they are definitely a wearable part.

I had relatives who had the chain style and it just seemed like they had less work overall they had to do in order to use them. I can’t say how much more effective they are, but I know that my observation was I put in more work using the equalizer hitch.

Additionally the comments about it making noise are not wrong, as you can hear it popping and creaking as a you turn because of the friction per its design. I never lubricated them because I was worried if I did it would defeat the purpose of them using friction to control the sway and as such you definitely heard it back there.
Liven-good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #42

I am a big Equalizer fan!
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #43

I have the Blue OX and love it. Very easy to operate and set up is a breeze. I replaced the Equalizer with the Blue Ox with no regrets, even though the EQ provided excellent anti sway action.
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #44

I Love our Equalizer. 60 mph, no sway even with two lane traffic. Fast hook-up. It takes more time to pre-trip lights on TT and tow vehicle.
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #45

I have to vote for the equalizer,been using them since the early 70's,1st tow was a 26 ft trailer ,towing with a 69 Roadrunner,never a sway problem,great hitch. Called Anderson and they would not sell me a hitch as I have a 40' Eagle and they said their hitch would not handle it, so I naturally went with the equalizer again. Chains can induce sway,equalizer is solid as a rock,I have been in more than one panic instance where the equalizer controlled the trailer well with no problems, I am not sure the Anderson would have done the same. The equalizer is a heavy hitch but that is why it works as well as it does.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #46

Equalizer vs. Andeson

I used Anderson for 20 years. Switched to Equalizer 10 years ago on buying a new rig. It’s really a matter of personal preference, but personally, I’d never go bake to Anderson. The Equalizer is so much simpler to put on and may provide a bit more stability, in IMHO.
darlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Wow, what a hassle! No way would I ever buy something like that. On our last trip we had an emergency with a sick puppy and had to hookup at midnight. Had to back up to the trailer at a slight angle, which was no big deal with the Equailizer, and had it hooked up in record time. No chains, no tools required, and very simple.

Got the puppy to the Vet and all is well.
X2, I agree way too much trouble.
16WhiteColly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlos View Post
I used Anderson for 20 years. Switched to Equalizer 10 years ago on buying a new rig. It’s really a matter of personal preference, but personally, I’d never go bake to Anderson. The Equalizer is so much simpler to put on and may provide a bit more stability, in IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
X2, I agree way too much trouble.
I fear those who think the Andersen is harder to hitch than a conventional WDH, may not be doing it right...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #49

Micahruns, I hope you can make a decision on either hitch with so many opinions. Let us know what you decide I'd be curious to know. I personally use the Andersen it's been great for me with no hassles for 3 years. I've never used the equalizer to compare and I'm not an engineer by no means but hear it is also a good WDH. Good luck and let us know.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #50

Equalizer sells pads for the bars which pretty much eliminates the grinding noise and wear
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #51

I don't know the Equalizer either but I did have two bar type hitches that you had to pry up and off a hook to take off or put on. I hated using the helper bar and was always afraid of it getting away from me and breaking something.

I use my 12 volt electric tongue jack do all the work of hitching and unhitching. After I found the proper number of threads I never have to adjust the hitch. It is quiet, simple to take on and off and I love the sway avoidance power. I was just on I75 at 65MPH when a person on the on ramp did a three lane merge and cut me off. NO SWAY or wiggle.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #52

I have the Andersen hitch and its very light and easy to install.
gilbertscohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #53

Been towing since 2016, two trailers and two trucks. Started off with the chain style with the accessory disk-break clamp for sway (talk about noise). Now an Equalizer and totally happy (I guess?). It’s heavy pulling out of trailer storage, but when set up properly (the first time) it is repeatable over and over and it works. The Anderson looks like a nice design and I’m sure it works well for sway control. I guess my only problem with it is; how does this design transfer weight from the back of the tow vehicle to the front? I don’t see any upward tension like the old style chain type or the newer friction bar types. Maybe someone with an engineering background can chime in how this hitch transfers weight to the front tires of the tow vehicle?
Old 12-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

There's not a WDH on the market that doesn't have some form of a personality disorder

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #55

Smile Andersen Hitches

I used the Andersen WDH towing a Jayco 26RTS for 3 years and was completely satisfied with its performance and ease of use. One major consideration for any hitch setup is weight (especially for us old farts); Andersen is hands down your best option on this count. We travel with a friend who uses the Equal-i-zer and he struggles because of the weight. If you take the more conventional types off your tow vehicle, you get the task of lifting it back up! In the interest of full disclosure I am now towing an Eagle HT 28.5RSTS with the Andersen 5th wheel set-up. Wow, so much more convenient when hooking up than conventional setups. Plus, I can take it in and out of the truck by myself (it weighs about 45 lbs) in about 2 - 3 minutes. And for you armchair engineers taking theoretical shots at Andersen, get a grip; they done out thunk ya!!!
slouwez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouwez View Post
And for you armchair engineers taking theoretical shots at Andersen, get a grip; they done out thunk ya!!!
I'd be onboard with a lighter hitch like the Andersen if they transferred the weight as well as the bar type. But they don't. I see this with my own eyes with a friend's setup. But he likes it and that is what counts. I'll stick with my Equalizer brand.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #57

Hitch question

30+ years as a Jayco dealer, and I can't recommend anything but an Equalizer brand hitch. I'll never ever sell someone a "chain" style hitch. To many opportunities to miss adjust and to much noise when using.
Tcdoughboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcdoughboy34 View Post
30+ years as a Jayco dealer, and I can't recommend anything but an Equalizer brand hitch. I'll never ever sell someone a "chain" style hitch. To many opportunities to miss adjust and to much noise when using.
With an endorsement like that, I think we know who the clear winner is.
However, you will be hard pressed to get someone on here to admit they purchased the wrong WDH.
Big Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcdoughboy34 View Post
The Andersen is absolutely silent, so I think you are thinking of a chain lifting type of hitch. The Andersen is not that.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
The Andersen is absolutely silent, so I think you are thinking of a chain lifting type of hitch. The Andersen is not that.
X2. That was one of the selling points for me.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andersen, equalizer, hitch, weight distribution hitch