Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Question Equal-i-zer Wear and Adjustment

Hello all,

Second year towing our TT, been out on seven trips in the past 12 months. This last trip, on our way out of the campgrounds on the first right turn, the noise produced by the hitch was insane, talk about your squeak. I understand the noise is expected as metal on metal friction, but what we heard was incredible. All the other campers at the near by dump station stopped and turned to look and I could see some of them start to comment.

I do use the Equal-I-zer brand of HP Lubricant to keep the recommended friction surfaces greased (I had yet to grease them before this trip this season). I also use the bracket jackets to help with the noise from the bars.

After hearing this noise, I stopped and got out dropped some grease on the friction surfaces, but I noticed what appears to be some fresh chipping on the spring arm sockets on the head. So, my question to any or all of you that use the Equal-I-zer WDH, do you have similar wear? Should I be concerned with how this appears to be wearing?

Also, the spacer rivet appears to still be making contact with the head at the bottom of the rivet, but it's not flush. Should the spacer rivet contact be flush, or does she need adjusting to make it flush? I have not adjusted anything yet from the dealer installed setup.

Thanks in advance!

Derrik
Attached Thumbnails
20180529_105325.jpg   20180529_105345.jpg  
dncoozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

I have a new (?) Equalizer WDH (~ 300 towing miles) and mine has moaned and groaned at times. I have lubed the spring/sway bar socket surfaces (not sure of the name) per the owners manual with bearing grease and it reduced the noise. I used some liquid wrench penetrating oil the last time on a 100 mile round trip tow, and it worked fine as well, but I have to lube it every day I tow. The spray seems to be easier to use/apply than bearing grease and lubing every day of towing is not that hard being a spray.

I don't have any of the chipping per your picture nor do I have the "pads". My WDH does little to none moaning & groaning if I lube the spots per the manual. I have lost some paint on the bar brackets that are attached to the TT A frame, but that's expected since it's a friction based hitch. The fresh chipping probably happened when your hitch "groaned" so loudly, and it was probably "dry", which caused the groaning.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #3

I bet most of the noise is coming from the couple. I smear on bearing grease every 1000 to 1500 miles. I cover the ball with a solo cup when not in use.

The pivot point, I lube with 600 wt rear axle lube. Mine makes almost no noise sound.

Also do check the torque on the bolts periodically. The bolts at the knuckles, I found loose on mine once, when it was making noise. Also I had an issue with the bolts staying tight at the L-brackets.

If all is tight and lubed, I have no noise.

I see your in the south part of town!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

My washers (rivet) look like yours and the hitch functions fine. Was worried about it years ago but no adjustment seemed to have an affect. Your chipping simply looks like paint flaking off so I wouldn't worry about it.

Occasionally I spray the L brackets w/ dry teflon lube. I also grease the movable parts of the hitch w/ the Equal-i-zer lube in a tube occasionally. And I also lube the top of the hitch ball w/ Reese hitch ball lube. Actually the top and down about a 1/2" or so on the sides.

It is a loud hitch, but it does work great.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

I have virtually no noise. I keep grease on the sockets; I take them off every two or three trips and torque them according to specs. I also keep fresh grease on the ball. I have rubber pads on the L brackets. With our prior unit, a socket cracked apart. Progress Manufacturing sent me two new ones. INMO, you should call them and request a new socket(s). They sent mine free of charge. They said regular greasing and proper torquing are critical. I torque the sockets to 55-60ftlbs. The rivet pin is supposed to be tightened against the inner wall, and the set bolt underneath must stay tightened; it likes to loosen over time.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

I have had the Equal-I-Zer hitch for 4+ years. We call the noise the dinosaur roar. My kids started calling it that. Happens when I don't grease mine after a while. Yours looks brand new compared to mine. I have some good gouges going after all these years. Don't forget to grease the underside of the bracket in your picture too.

As for the space between the rubber piece/washers - you do need to adjust the hitch from time to time. There is a bolt on the bottom of the hitch that will push that spacer and bracket closer to each other. Just tighten it when you are not connected until they touch. Overtime the bolt will get worn. I think equal-i-zer calls it a wear bolt or something similar. I had to adjust for a new truck and called them. They have great customer service.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chpping, equal-i-zer, equalizer, wear