Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2023, 12:21 PM   #1

Equalizer 4pt Sway Bracket Jacket

Anybody using these things? I'm in the midst of doing all my research for possibly jumping back into the hobby in a couple years. Going TT this time. From the reviews and what not that I have seen and read, Weigh Safe seems to be a top flight hitch. However, due to Jayco's underslung coupler Weigh Safe isn't really supporting Jayco TT's.

So, if I end up in a Jayco down the line I'll probably get a Equalizer 4pt. One of the biggest complaints on the Equalizer is it's chatty/noisy, however this accessory is supposed to resolve a good chunk of that.

Equalizer Sway bracket jacket

Anybody using these? Pros/cons?

Thanks !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #2

Yes, I have them. In conjunction with greasing the hitch head in accordance to the manufacture specs, they work well quieting the hitch down. I leave them in place all season long, but put them in the storage compartment for the winter. I have not noticed any decrease of sway control.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:06 PM   #3

Good to hear; TY !

Old 05-15-2023, 03:34 PM   #4

I switched to the Eaz-Lift ReCurve R6 several months after I purchased my Jayco. It has specific set-ups to accommodate either the top or under mount coupler.

I had a Curt TruTrack 4P bought from a previous TT. The under mounted coupler caused the load bars to hang approximately six inches below the A-Frame. This placed enough stress on the vertical hangers attached to the A-Frame to be slightly bent inward on both sides. This prevented the load bars from laying flat on the hangers attached to the vertical bars on the A-Frame. This prevented 2 of the 4 points of sway from working fully. The load bars came back flat but with the vertical hangers now bent the bars started cutting into the hangers as they moved back and forth to prevent sway and during turns.

The Recurve load bars load from the top which allows them to run along side the A-Frame and not significantly below them. Therefore no stress on the vertical mounts on the A-Frame. I have no issue with sway. My camper friend also has a Jayco Jay Feather and uses the Recurve R3.
SLGoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Anybody using these things? I'm in the midst of doing all my research for possibly jumping back into the hobby in a couple years. Going TT this time. From the reviews and what not that I have seen and read, Weigh Safe seems to be a top flight hitch. However, due to Jayco's underslung coupler Weigh Safe isn't really supporting Jayco TT's.

So, if I end up in a Jayco down the line I'll probably get a Equalizer 4pt. One of the biggest complaints on the Equalizer is it's chatty/noisy, however this accessory is supposed to resolve a good chunk of that.

Equalizer Sway bracket jacket

Anybody using these? Pros/cons?

Thanks !
We've been using the bracket jackets on our Equalizer for about 10 years, and they work well for noise reduction. You may get an occasional squeak because the bar still contacts the vertical part of the L bracket, but a slight smear of ball lube on that spot eliminates it.

The only con to them, is you have to use the L pins with the separate pin. I bought the new style called the Snap L pin a while ago, and unless Equalizer redesigned something, you can't use those with the bracket jackets. Just a small inconvenience to me.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The only con to them, is you have to use the L pins with the separate pin. I bought the new style called the Snap L pin a while ago, and unless Equalizer redesigned something, you can't use those with the bracket jackets. Just a small inconvenience to me.
I use the Snap L-Pin with mine with no issue. I bought the jackets 2 years ago so maybe they did redesign them.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:37 AM   #7

My Equalizer hitch has been great. I’ve been using the pads for 5 years. I have always been able to use the snap pins. There’s very little noise and it’s really only noticeable at low speed turning. It’s easy to use and has always been very stable. They have a hitch calculator on their website that is very useful for getting the right hitch for a fully loaded camper.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
From the reviews and what not that I have seen and read, Weigh Safe seems to be a top flight hitch. However, due to Jayco's underslung coupler Weigh Safe isn't really supporting Jayco TT's.
I recently learned Weigh Safe is working on this. Not sure how or when but they have apparently heard us complain and working on a solution. My guess would be longer L brackets which mount on the frame and support the tension bars but that’s just my guess. Hopefully this happens and sooner than later. You might not right them off just yet. They are the best just under a $3500 ProPride.

Also another consideration is the new B&W weight distribution hitch. Early reviews have it close to Weigh Safe.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
I recently learned Weigh Safe is working on this. Not sure how or when but they have apparently heard us complain and working on a solution. My guess would be longer L brackets which mount on the frame and support the tension bars but that’s just my guess. Hopefully this happens and sooner than later. You might not right them off just yet. They are the best just under a $3500 ProPride.

Also another consideration is the new B&W weight distribution hitch. Early reviews have it close to Weigh Safe.
I'm not purchasing a TT for a couple years. I plan to go to Hershey this year, make a list of the models that DW and I like, and then spend awhile researching them. I'm in no rush to jump back in the hobby, but I want to go in and be confident that the TT I end up with is the right one for us, and the hitch I use had some thought in it beyond 'This is what the dealer sold me'.

Hopefully in that time WeighSafe does come up w/ a solution that works w/ Jayco TT's. There are 2 models of Jayco that I would consider based on floorplan, however I'd really like to tow with a Weigh Safe all things considered. So right now that's a demerit on the Jayco ledger for me.

We shall see !

Old 05-16-2023, 09:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I use the Snap L-Pin with mine with no issue. I bought the jackets 2 years ago so maybe they did redesign them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
My Equalizer hitch has been great. I’ve been using the pads for 5 years. I have always been able to use the snap pins. There’s very little noise and it’s really only noticeable at low speed turning. It’s easy to use and has always been very stable. They have a hitch calculator on their website that is very useful for getting the right hitch for a fully loaded camper.
I see them on Amazon, and they do look different than mine. I'll have to get a new set so I can use the new Snap pins. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 05-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:

Hopefully in that time WeighSafe does come up w/ a solution that works w/ Jayco TT's. There are 2 models of Jayco that I would consider based on floorplan, however I'd really like to tow with a Weigh Safe all things considered. So right now that's a demerit on the Jayco ledger for me.

We shall see !
I think the Weightsafe is very cool but I don't think I'd base my trailer choice on the ability to use one. Unless you repack for every trip or have heavy things inside for some trips and not others, the tongue weight is going to stay pretty consistent. Get it weighed at a CAT scale when you are ready to camp. What I'm saying is that if you choose a Jayco, I don't think you'd be losing as much as you might think by using an Equalizer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:57 PM   #12

I wasn’t implying that the Weigh Safe hitch would be the primary determining factor, however, all things being equal if I was pulled to a Jayco trailer or SOB trailer, I would probably go for the other trailer because of the hitch. Again, assuming I was equally indecisive between the two.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Team

It's nice you have a lot of time to look and decide, not to mention a couple of years for some new models and floorplans to appear. Happy shopping on whatever brand you go for. We'd love to see it when you get it home.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 05-18-2023, 07:03 AM   #14

Thanks for clarifying that. Makes sense.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #15

I've had the jackets on my Equalizer for nearly 10 years, never taken them off even for winter storage. They have been great.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:09 AM   #16

Seems like a no-brainer upgrade to me; I wonder why more people don't use them? I bet they don't know they exist.

Tags
bracket jacket, equalizer, wdh