Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Equalizer brand hitch

Hi all. We have an Equalizer brand hitch that has an issue that I have been fighting since we got it in late 2012. The link plates are constantly sliding around on the frame. I check the torque frequently on the bolts. The link plates are mounted in the correct orientation. I did notice the inside link plate was bowed and had a gap in the middle. I emailed Equalizer about the bow and was told that it is normal. I ended up flipping that link plate to put the bow toward the frame. Nothing seems to help and the link plates are doing a number on the frame rails; they are getting rather chewed up. I am considering just tack welding the link plates to the frame to prevent them from moving. I was also considering just running a couple of grade 8 bolts through the whole mess to help stabilize the link plates, but that would be a lot of drilling. Has anyone else seen this issue and were you able to solve it? I am almost to the point that I am considering ditching the equalizer and trying a different brand, but thought I would reach out for some advice before laying out the money for a new setup.

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #2

Jenoble99- Haven't seen that before but did you document this with the original dealer too? Do you have documentation that you got that reply from Equalizer?
Those are important. IMHO, I would pressure Equalizer and the dealer to replace the one you have, free of charge. They are a great hitch company and stand by their product. When I got mine I complained to Equalizer that it had apparently been used and repainted. My persistence finally got me $150 off the price I paid and the hitch is fine. Keep on them and I bet they will make it good for you....even if they do it to shut you up. Hehehe.
Happy RVing,
Jeff

havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #3

Haven't had any problems with the tongue brackets moving, just an over-torqued bolt on the bar socket. Not normal to have to put your back on the garage wall, and push the bar with both feet! Called Equalizer to inquire about torque specs. Really nice people. Someone's impact wrench was cranked up WAY too much. Re-torqued to spec, and re-check when they get too easy to push. Have had our hitch for 3 years, and love it.
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

I had an Equalizer on my former TT for about 5 years. When I first got the hitch set up I had the same problem as you are experiencing. After contacting the company I was told I was over tightning the brackets on the trailer frame. Upon removing them from the frame I found them to be bowed which allowed them to contact the frame on the top and bottom edges. On my style of frame brackets I was able to turn them over so they bowed the other way. I also made spacers out of pipe that were the same width as the trailer frame and run the bracket bolts through them, re tighten the assemblies to the proper torque and never had a problem again in 20+K miles of towing.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
I had an Equalizer on my former TT for about 5 years. When I first got the hitch set up I had the same problem as you are experiencing. After contacting the company I was told I was over tightning the brackets on the trailer frame. Upon removing them from the frame I found them to be bowed which allowed them to contact the frame on the top and bottom edges. On my style of frame brackets I was able to turn them over so they bowed the other way. I also made spacers out of pipe that were the same width as the trailer frame and run the bracket bolts through them, re tighten the assemblies to the proper torque and never had a problem again in 20+K miles of towing.

I also turned the inner link plate around so the bow was into the frame. Torqued to the stated spec in the manual and still no good. I was told by Equalizer that the bow is normal and not to worry about it via email, maybe a call to them is on order.
I have documented with Equalizer but not with our dealer. Planning to pick up a couple of things in a few days from the dealer and was going to talk about it then.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

I had mine tack welded due to them moving down the frame rail. Cost was less than $50. I emailed Equalizer about it but got no response.
JayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #7

Mine have done the very same thing since I got it. I am replacing it with a blue ox, because of the issues I've had with it
Jon 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

My dealer ran a bolt through the frame on my TT
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #9

I had a couple spot welds added. Since then absolutely no issues.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #10

I'm a welder and did the same thing with tack welds. When I sold the TT I simply ground down the tack welds. Repainted the tongue. Good as new.

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote