Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Equalizer Hitch or not?

New owner of a 2010 Jayco 19H here. Towed tent trailers 30+ years, you would almost forget they were back there. Wasn't sure how the 19H would tow home last evening with just my factory class III. Towed fine, some bouncing (slight) here and there. I'm towing with a 2011 GMC Sierra with the 4.8 V8. 600 lbs allowed tongue weight with the 19H coming in at 400. The 19H dry is around 4K I believe so weight ain't a concern.

Granted I only towed it home (45 min ride) but do I need to lay out 500 bucks for a equalizer hitch for my set up? I certainly don't mind spending the money but won't it I don't really need to.

Thanks in advance all.

Harry M.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #2

With a dry TT weight of 4K and the (understated) tongue weight of 400#....you'll probably be over 600# on the tongue before you finish loading the TT.

Load up and head for scales first chance you get. 9-15% weight on the tongue is ideal....the challenge you will most likely find is keeping it UNDER 15% (600#)

Bottom line - If your feeling bounce now, it will only get worse when you have your TT and TV loaded down for travel....$500 is REALLY cheap insurance that your TT and TV stay well-mannered.

Happy Camping.....good luck with the new TT. Let us know what you find at the scales....:wink:
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
With a dry TT weight of 4K and the (understated) tongue weight of 400#....you'll probably be over 600# on the tongue before you finish loading the TT.

Load up and head for scales first chance you get. 9-15% weight on the tongue is ideal....the challenge you will most likely find is keeping it UNDER 15% (600#)

Bottom line - If your feeling bounce now, it will only get worse when you have your TT and TV loaded down for travel....$500 is REALLY cheap insurance that your TT and TV stay well-mannered.

Happy Camping.....good luck with the new TT. Let us know what you find at the scales....:wink:
Thanks 3B, good points, yup the trailer was totally empty hauling it home. Local place has 6000 lb Curt for ~400 bucks so I'll swing by there and check it out.

Harry M
Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Harry,

Welcome to JOF

You mentioned that your "TV" has a tongue weight limitation of 600lbs...., but I would also confirm the weight ratings of your OEM Class III receiver (some are rated 500/5,000lbs, others 600/6,000lbs). Also confirm the "Weight Carrying" and "Weight Distribution" limitations on your OEM receiver. If there isn't a "Weight Distribution" rating stamped on the OEM receiver then a WDH can't be used. Good to know if you have any other restrictions before looking into a WDH.

Check the A-frame of the 19H for a WDH limitations/restrictions, some of the smaller HTT's have them.

If you will be towing with a loaded tongue weight of 500lbs-600lbs (max), IMO a properly sized WDH (if allowable) would enhance the towing experience.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

Thanks Bob. Bought the Curt 1000/10,000 equalizer hitch yesterday. Short money (under $300) Spent the day installing it! By 2 pm, and one smashed pinky finger, I had it on the money.

Without the hitch my Sierra rose 2 1/2" in the front coupled. After the adjustments I dialed it in at the same height coupled as it was uncoupled. I was thinking, hey these things really work LOL!

Curt Hitch

Very heavy and solid build. That I liked.

The chain couplers loop over the frame for a no drill option. Sounds good but the adjustment bar makes contact with the propane tank base so I will need to tweak the position a bit.

The trunion bars lock into the head with a pin. This part I was less than pleased with. I found it a bit sloppy. One thing is that no grease can get into the pin groove or the pin kicks out and the bar falls out. This design could be improved upon no doubt. But I'm now good to go!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM View Post
snip...... After the adjustments I dialed it in at the same height coupled as it was uncoupled.....snip
Sounds great............; Definitely don't want to go below the unhitched (uncoupled) height on the GM Trucks/SUV's, doing so will cause the front suspension stops to bottom out and this makes for a rough ride.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote