Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Experienced Hensley Arrow users?

Hi there...wondering if anyone out there happens to currently own or have owned the Hensley Arrow hitch system? I know that they are very expensive but from what I've researched, they also seem to be one of the best hitch systems out there - claiming to eliminate sway unlike the others who try to control it. Also, if anyone could recommend another hitch system that is extremely effective with controlling/eliminating sway and the effects of wind, that would be great too. I am currently operating a Reese WD hitch and that is it but I can't stand how I feel white-knuckled some of the time.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Russell (drfife)will chime in soon. He's a strong advocate of the Hensley system.

Just curious... what Reese WDH do you have? I recently upgraded from a Husky to a Reese HP Dual Cam system and after towing approx 5k miles, I have to say, I am impressed! The TT seemed to be "one with the TV"...

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

I've got the HA on my 322FRS and love it. So far have not had a situation where I have felt any sway. The closest was when I had a panic stop in Thunder Bay, CA and was cut off. The trailer and truck stayed straight until we stopped. A real good feeling.

I've heard the Propride is just as good but a little bit cheaper. Don't know as I have not had or priced one.

In 35 mph crosswinds I've never felt out of control. Of course with this much 'billboard' going down the road I do slow down a little just to be careful. Have had a semi pass me while passing another one and no indicatioin of sway even wanting to start.

If you have a large one pass you there will be a feeling of the whole unit wanting to move over due to suction but never a feel of sway.

The only problem I see that you could have is 'overdriving' the abilities of the truck by being too comfortable with the actions of the trailer and you might forget it was back there.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
I owned the ProPride 3P hitch and can say that it is at the top of the list with the HA and the Pull Rite for quality.

The ProPride is also a Jim Hensley hitch. Jim Hensley, over the years, continued to make design improvements to the hitch system that Hensley sells but he has nothing to do with the company that sells the HA. Sean Woodruff is the Owner of ProPride and was formerly the VP at Hensley. When Hensley Arrow refused to use the newer version of the hitch, Sean licensed the new patents and started ProPride.

Sean offers a super high quality product and customer service that is unmatched in the business. As and example, on our first trip out with our new ProPride we had a minor issue and I called Sean on a Sunday morning and he called me back within minutes with the answer to our issue and we were on our way.

The hitch box on the PP is a bit bigger than the Hensley and it is a bit easier to hook up, you should have a back up camera however, this makes hooking a snap, easier than a conventional ball and coupler hitch.

Either way you go, Hensley or ProPride, you will own a hitch that will make towing a pleasure. The ProPride is less expensive but the quality is at least as good as the Hensley and it carries a LIFETIME warranty. Before you decide which way to go, call Sean Woodruff at ProPride and talk with him for a while, then decide.

http://www.propridehitch.com/

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

I have a HAHA as well, although we don't "need" it with our White Hawk, we put over 25k towing last year, and just want the best and either the Arrow or the 3P are definitely the best.

I can say that before (with a different trailer, as well) we would always experience a little bit of sway with heavy cross winds and when being passed by trucks....when you get a HAHA or a PP you will definitely notice the difference -- the best way to explain it is that it tows like a 5th wheel. My wife would never tow before, and now she's even comfortable enough to do it.

The biggest "gripe" that you'll hear on the internet and with naysayers (aside from price) is that it's difficult to hitch and unhitch....B.S. Different, yes...difficult, no. Once you get used to it and understand that you're not simply lining up to a ball, then you come to understand how to do it and how to do it quickly and efficiently.

Also, as to the price, you have to look at it as an investment/insurance -- we all spend all this money on these trailers, these TV's and the contents (wife, kids, dogs, etc) and then gripe about spending more than a few hundred bucks on a hitch....I look at it as an insurance policy. When you're done with them (the HAHA I know, not sure about the PP) they will buy it back from your...it has a lifetime warranty, and there's definitely a market for them.
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

I've towed 50,000+ miles with a Hensley Arrow hitch through all the lower 48 states and 5 Canadian provinces. Mine is 11 years old and going strong.

I highly recommend them or the ProPride hitch. It is the best towing investment I've made. You will not be disappointed.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for your input on the Hensley or ProPride hitches. I have had several people recommend the Reese Dual Cam setup as well and they seem extremely satisfied with them. The only thing holding me back from getting the Hensley at this point is the cost.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #8

I have the Hensley and it is a GREAT hitch but if I had to do it all over again I would get the Propride simply because you can adjust the height of the hitch yourself and do not have to send the receiver back the Hensley on exchange. This is useful when you change trailers or trucks...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote