Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Question EZ Hitch Round Bar 94-00 1000 question

We've just returned from our maiden voyage with the new TT. Cold and windy in north Louisiana, but we had fun anyway!

http://https://drive.google.com/open...hJcDN2aWdDcVBj
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...E2cEx3WVpoNXdv

Here's the problem: When unhooking, we literally have to beat the sway bars off with a rubber hammer. We've tried electric jack moving hitch and truck quite a ways up, quite a ways down, somewhere in the middle...doesn't seem to matter. Today I noticed that the sway bar attachment brackets seem to be at an angle (see above pictures). Are these at the correct angle? They see to be a bit offset.

Any other ideas about how to make this an easier unhitch? I'm 60 y/o, 135 lbs. female and I'd love to be able to travel without having to make the DH go...just to get the sway bars off!
RVCinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

One thing that looks weird and could cause the arms to drag when trying to release them is the angle of your bracket. It should be exactly perpendicular to the trailer frame and it’s not. The bottom is closer to the front of the trailer than the top. Make sure it’s at exactly at 90 degrees and see if that doesn’t help.

Also, I can’t see the entire trailer tongue and hitch but I’m wondering why the saddle for the hitch bars is so low. Equalizer recommends using the two middle holes. If the bars are are not parallel to this saddle they will drag from that as well.

The bottom line for both comments is that the bottom of the bars should lay flat on the L-shaped saddle on the bracket to maximize the anti sway capability and to keep the saddle bracket from having a pressure point when removing the bars.

It’s not a 100% guarantee that this will fix your problem but it’s a good start. If the problem persists include a picture with the hitch assembled and connected to the tow vehicle. Good luck!
Psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Talking

Thank you so much! The more I look at the brackets and the fact that they aren't perpendicular, the more I think that's the problem.
RVCinderella is offline   Reply With Quote