Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #21

I would recommend the newer F250"s with turbo diesel to anyone. We have been very happy with our 2003 model 7.3 and it is rock solid. We had a 33 ft Outback for 11 years.
We never had any problem traveling through Colorado, northern New Mexico, and southern California.
Will P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #22

Mustang, My F-150 was a 5.0 liter motor with max tow and extended cab with the 6.5' box 3.73 gears, 4x4, 20" wheels. Sorry that I didn't mention that
Old 05-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #23

Are you using Blue Ox Sway Pro?
Blue Ox WDH ~4500 tongue EzLift (RH)[/I] Sway Control ==> wouldn't they conflict with each other? I have the the same truck except I don't have the boost just the straight 3.5 and have the 2017 Jay Feather RBM with the full slide and we don't have any issues at all. However I just use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and no other sway control.
windmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
1. If the cab is the issue, why did you buy a supercab instead of a supercrew?

2. Tow ability (engine performance) Toyota will not touch the F150. My brother has a Toyota and he tows a smaller trailer in 4th gear vs. towing in 5th or 6th with the F150

3. Toyota doesn't have Android Auto/Apple Carplay...that's a big deal.

4. Payloads on the Toyota's are not great (1200lbs - ish)

5. There are a number of threads about F150s not feeling stable while towing. 8/10 times it comes down to not having the WDH setup properly.

6. Toyota makes a great truck, but there is a reason they always end up in 5th place when ranked against the other trucks (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram). I hear for 2020 they're coming out with a new from the bottom up truck, so there might be something to look at in another year.
Quantum-
1. As stated, I am partly idiot...the part where my brain is.
2. Great point and I have no issues with the power/towing capacity of the F-150.
3. Agreed - that is a very big deal.
4. Meh
5. I'm pretty confident in how I have this set up and balanced although after several comments from the group, I'm certainly planning to challenge my own competency on this.
6. You had me at #2

2016 Jay Feather 23RB Elite
2017 F-150 4x4 Sport
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Twin Turbo

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
DooDahDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #25

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's input...all of it valid (or funny) as I knew it would be. One theme in this thread is that size matters. I loved that old Tundra. I'm not the type to memorize specs because...well, Google, but I feel pretty sure it was heavier than the new F-150. That could be all I'm sensing when I tow. I didn't mean to pit Tundra Owners Vs F-150 Owners...despite the fact that this is almost exactly how I titled this thread...my bad. We all wave when we pass each other...at least we do where I come from. That's what counts. Thanks again - Mark

2016 Jay Feather 23RB Elite
2017 F-150 4x4 Sport
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Twin Turbo

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
DooDahDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P View Post
I would recommend the newer F250"s with turbo diesel to anyone. We have been very happy with our 2003 model 7.3 and it is rock solid. We had a 33 ft Outback for 11 years.
We never had any problem traveling through Colorado, northern New Mexico, and southern California.
Not to be late to the party, but X2 on Will P’s post. I love Toyota — have had multiple Tacos and a 4-Runner — and almost bought a new Tundra for a TV. But I found an old F250 gem and have never been happier. Can’t beat the diesel and I’ve always felt comfortable, even on winding mountain roads. This dog wags the tail, not the other way around. Sure, I’d love Bluetooth, nav and Toyota reliability, but I’ll survive.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #27

Most of what I’d have to say has already been covered. I’m not brand loyal for what that’s worth... I bought a new Tundra. Really sharp looking truck with the impressive reputation for longevity. I couldn’t convince myself to like the truck and traded it for an F150 a month later and am constantly reminded of how happy that decision made me. The biggest factor in my decision was payload capacity, which was mentioned earlier and you dusted aside with a “meh”, but if you have any motivation to stay within legal and manufacturer limits then forget the Toyota. They are not competitive in this regard. Please understand I am not trying to fan flames, just posting my experience.
CowboyCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
I personally dont understand the longevity claim with the tundra, not saying they wont last forever like the reputation states, but so do the other trucks. I know a lot of people with over 300k on F150s and Silverado. Plus IMHO the others look better, I too just cant convince myself to like the tundra (as far as looks go), and they ride just like all the other brands too. Personally I believe at this point they're all good trucks, just drive em all and pick favorite/preference or best deal. Plus I peered into one on the parking lot the other day (dont know what year), but it looked alot like the interior of the 04-14 f150s
Old 05-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #29

I have a 2013 FX4 F-150 with the EcoBoost, tow package, etc. and tow a 2016 JayFlight 32BHDS and have no issues at all. Its rated to tow either 11k or 11.5k, but I would not try that. The 32BHDS listed weight is 7600 I think. We love the pick up and how it tows and handles. The only issues I have ever had was when were in the mountains (live in NC) and there were some really serious winds - got the pucker factor going for that trip. Other than that though, even when being passed by big rigs on the highway or whatever, I never have had any issues towing or swaying, or stopping, or when coming down from Boone on 421 or from Asheville on 40.
The truck is the 4 door cab - and that may be what you needed instead. I love the 250/350's, but I just could not justify the fuel mileage for my daily driver back and forth to work.
Unfortunately I cannot give you any comparison on the Yota - never owned one. Just my experience towing with the Ford. I became a Ford man when they didn't take the government cheese years ago like Chevy and some of the others to become government motors.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Happy wife is happy life. Just put her in a bigger Ford. Never admit defeat........
Hnyctfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #30

There is no reason that F-150 can't comfortably tow that trailer. Throwing more truck at it isn't the answer. Spend some time making adjustments to the hitch. I can't see the small avatar photo clearly but it appears your front end is high. The front end should be back to stock height, or as close as possible, when the hitch is properly adjusted. There used to be a spec in the Ford manuals that said to measure before the trailer, then measure after putting the trailer on the hitch W/O the bars. Then adjust so that you bring it back to at least half the distance between the two measurements. That does not seem to be in the manual anymore.

But it is critical to get the weight back on the front wheels.

The other thing to consider is that you're going to take a bath on the trade in value.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #31

DoDahDay, my 2 cents worth. I am not blessed with $$ so each purchase I make is researched. My suggestion, go to Ford and Toyota owners forums for a wealth of information. As in most forums owners tend to complain more than praise. Compare cost of repairs, insurance and common problems and repair costs.

I will add that I purchased my 2017 Tundra, crew cab, SR5, 5.7 with tow package for towing my 2017 23MRB Whitehawk. Have towed 10K miles thru the CA Sierra's, AZ, NV, UT, ID, Wy, and MT. MPG, 10 towing, 15 MPG not towing (mixed speeds), 22 MPG @ 45 MPH touring 700 miles in Yellowstone and Teton NP's. Love it.

Note when you read the forums you will understand this statement: since day one not one drop of oil used.

Good luck.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #32

It used to be said that a engine that didn’t use a drop of oil was one that was not being lubricated properly.

I like the more sure footed nature of my 2015 Chevy 2500HD and since I am not trying to tow a mobile home, the 6.0 L96 flex fuel gasser is just fine for the 23MRB. I got it for far more than towing a trailer. It has to haul far more than a half ton can reasonably haul and push snow in winter. TT towing was secondary. It is not a daily driver vehicle.

And as an added plus, one can usually get a well spec’d 3/4 ton that will exceed the capability of any 1/2 ton and many times has a lower purchase price. Because folks gravitate towards the 1/2 tons, dealers jack the prices up compared to the 3/4 ton gassers.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Note when you read the forums you will understand this statement: since day one not one drop of oil used.

Same with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
It used to be said that a engine that didn’t use a drop of oil was one that was not being lubricated properly.
My 2007 Tundra double cab with 135,000 miles on it uses 0-20W Mobil 1, goes 5000 miles between changes. I never need to add oil between changes, and it tows just fine in the Arizona heat. I have towed north to Oregon, south to San Antonio, and east through Missouri without a problem. Luv my Tundra and would buy another in a heartbeat....
Route 66 Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #34

My commercial semi truck is 413 miles from turning over 1 million miles. Gets oil changes every 22,500 miles / 450 hours and I never have to add makeup oil either. Motor 100% original except for starter and alternator.

Point being: take care of stuff and use it properly and they can last a long time.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #35

Well, it's been a couple of months, what did you all decide?

I love talking about new vehicles and am anxious to see how your decision worked out.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooDahDay View Post
Howdy All - Currently towing our 23RB with the 2017 F-150 3.5 V6 Ecoboost. Prior to that we had a 2010 Tundra. While I like the 10 sp transmission on the F-150 and the truck has plenty of go-power (we live in the Blue Ridge Mntns) I feel like we get pushed around quite a bit. I don't recall getting manhandled so much in the old Tundra. That, and the Princess doesn't like the Ford...for her own reasons. SO...am looking at getting a new (2019) Tundra - SR5 5.7L V8 CrewMax. Looking for input from anyone with specific experience between these 2 trucks or similar...and also any input on the new Tundras in general. That said, all comments are welcome and appreciated, considering the immense knowledge on this forum. Thanks - Mark
When we started looking at trailers, I had my eyes on the Toyota Tundra and the Ford F-150. We ended up going with the F-150 XLT 3.5L EB SCREW 4x4 with Max Tow. Loved the twin turbos - very responsive, nice power and looked great. Unfortunately they payload wasn't were it needed to be for the 5th wheel we decided on, so we upgraded to an F-250.

When you're comparing half tons, just compare the specs. Both trucks look different, drive different, perform differently, etc. If you're in the hills and mountains, there's more change in elevation. Naturally aspirated gas motors will suffer - unless they're turbocharged. So that's a consideration. All half tons have semi-floating axles, so you'll have payload limitations in either case. Both manufacturers have good reputations. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You failed to mention how your F150 was equipped. A lot of F150 owners have the off the showroom floor F150 and expect them to do wonders (many times based on the salesperson's input) Doesn't always work out that way.

Here is how my F150 is setup (ordered directly from the factory) and I do not have any issues that I am concerned about. Like you mentioned plenty of power. We currently spend most of our time in Hiawassee GA.

F150 EcoBoost (2012)
3.5L
Super Crew XLT
157" Wheel Base
3:73 Rear end
Truck Tires
4x2
TBC-Trailer Brake Controller
RSC - Roll Stability Control
HD Payload/MaxTow
Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution w/4-Point Sway Control
6' Bed
Bucket Seats (everyone should get this option... DW is real happy with this option for the long trips)

Love this combination! Sorry can not help you with a Tundra review.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
We call this configuration "The Unicorn" because it's rare.