Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

F-150 vs. Tundra

Howdy All - Currently towing our 23RB with the 2017 F-150 3.5 V6 Ecoboost. Prior to that we had a 2010 Tundra. While I like the 10 sp transmission on the F-150 and the truck has plenty of go-power (we live in the Blue Ridge Mntns) I feel like we get pushed around quite a bit. I don't recall getting manhandled so much in the old Tundra. That, and the Princess doesn't like the Ford...for her own reasons. SO...am looking at getting a new (2019) Tundra - SR5 5.7L V8 CrewMax. Looking for input from anyone with specific experience between these 2 trucks or similar...and also any input on the new Tundras in general. That said, all comments are welcome and appreciated, considering the immense knowledge on this forum. Thanks - Mark

2016 Jay Feather 23RB Elite
2017 F-150 4x4 Sport
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Twin Turbo

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
DooDahDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #2

Maybe big difference is price between the two.Our son was looking at both felt the Tundra was just under 50 grand.Ended up with Ford F250 4x4, about 45000. Thanks
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

DooDah,
We upgraded from an F-150 to an F-350. I would have settled for the F-250 but the difference in price is minuscule. The price difference between the F-150 and F-250 is not that huge. The resale value of the Ford is also better than the Toyota.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

You failed to mention how your F150 was equipped. A lot of F150 owners have the off the showroom floor F150 and expect them to do wonders (many times based on the salesperson's input) Doesn't always work out that way.

Here is how my F150 is setup (ordered directly from the factory) and I do not have any issues that I am concerned about. Like you mentioned plenty of power. We currently spend most of our time in Hiawassee GA.

F150 EcoBoost (2012)
3.5L
Super Crew XLT
157" Wheel Base
3:73 Rear end
Truck Tires
4x2
TBC-Trailer Brake Controller
RSC - Roll Stability Control
HD Payload/MaxTow
Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution w/4-Point Sway Control
6' Bed
Bucket Seats (everyone should get this option... DW is real happy with this option for the long trips)

Love this combination! Sorry can not help you with a Tundra review.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooDahDay View Post
Howdy All - Currently towing our 23RB with the 2017 F-150 3.5 V6 Ecoboost. Prior to that we had a 2010 Tundra. While I like the 10 sp transmission on the F-150 and the truck has plenty of go-power (we live in the Blue Ridge Mntns) I feel like we get pushed around quite a bit. I don't recall getting manhandled so much in the old Tundra. That, and the Princess doesn't like the Ford...for her own reasons. SO...am looking at getting a new (2019) Tundra - SR5 5.7L V8 CrewMax. Looking for input from anyone with specific experience between these 2 trucks or similar...and also any input on the new Tundras in general. That said, all comments are welcome and appreciated, considering the immense knowledge on this forum. Thanks - Mark

As a Tundra owner who does tow, and would not want to give up our Tundra which we love, I will say look at the cargo carrying capacity on the drivers door jamb. That number will tell you what you can and can't tow. You will reach the cargo capacity long before towing capacity. Tundras do not have a large cargo carrying capacity. Having the CrewMax will also lower your cargo capacity. Take your RV and get it weighted, then check the numbers on the trucks your looking at. Get your hitch weight, Trailer weight etc.

Good Luck...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettt View Post
Maybe big difference is price between the two.Our son was looking at both felt the Tundra was just under 50 grand.Ended up with Ford F250 4x4, about 45000. Thanks
I wonder if these prices are regional to some degree. I looked at a Tundra today w/tow pkg for just under $40 k and the F-150s around here are mid-40's easy. Have consider running on up to the F-250 but have not looked at prices. Thanks!

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Check the Tundra options packages. There is one that includes a 38 Gal. tank instead of 26 Gal. If I recall it is the one that includes bucket seats. We get about 10mpg when towing and 38 Gal. allows us to go a full day w/o a fuel stop. It's a lot easier to fuel up without the trailer attached.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You failed to mention how your F150 was equipped. A lot of F150 owners have the off the showroom floor F150 and expect them to do wonders (many times based on the salesperson's input) Doesn't always work out that way.

Here is how my F150 is setup (ordered directly from the factory) and I do not have any issues that I am concerned about. Like you mentioned plenty of power. We currently spend most of our time in Hiawassee GA.

F150 EcoBoost (2012)
3.5L
Super Crew XLT
157" Wheel Base
3:73 Rear end
Truck Tires
4x2
TBC-Trailer Brake Controller
RSC - Roll Stability Control
HD Payload/MaxTow
Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution w/4-Point Sway Control
6' Bed
Bucket Seats (everyone should get this option... DW is real happy with this option for the long trips)

Love this combination! Sorry can not help you with a Tundra review.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thanks Mustang - I understand there are many variables.
F-150 XLT Twin Turbo EcoBoost (2017)
4x4 SuperCab
3.5 L
10 speed w/tow mode
3.55 rear end electronic lock
145" wheel base (*)
275/65R 18's (max'd psi)
Tow pkg - Tranny cooler, integrated brake control and sway control and the trailer backup assist that I have no idea how to use...and wouldn't use it anyway as it feels like cheating.
Blue Ox WDH ~4500 tongue
EzLift (RH) Sway Control
6.5 bed
Bucket seats for sure - totally agree w/you. Although in youth, the bench seat had its advantages...

For the Princess, a biggie is not having 4-door/full cab...actually for me too. The hounds are miserable, as well. The half-sized suicide doors and puny back seats just don't cut it for every day life. This was an impulse buy because I liked the tow pkg and thought that a longer bed would be handier than the full size cab - huge mistake. The truck definitely has all the power needed for the 23RB and I get it loaded pretty level with the blue ox. The max towing cap. is far beyond anything I would actually pull behind a truck this size. I just feel vulnerable when towing. I'm wondering if the shorter wheel base makes a big difference.

Also, this could simply be me looking to validate the purchase of a full cab and I'm expecting all of y'all to back me up and tell me what a POS truck I have. It's hell getting this old without having made a single mistake in my life only to have to admit what a huge one I made on a major purchase at this point.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 05-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
DooDah,
We upgraded from an F-150 to an F-350. I would have settled for the F-250 but the difference in price is minuscule. The price difference between the F-150 and F-250 is not that huge. The resale value of the Ford is also better than the Toyota.
Thanks Grafton - I'm going to consider the F-250 I think. They just always seemed out of my price range but after buying this last truck, it feels like I'm in a new bracket anyway.:-)
I imagine the 250 would give me a much more secure feeling out there. Appreciate your input. As mentioned, the full cab is the number one box to check on this next purchase, no matter what make and model - doesn't matter if it's a Yugo.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #10

Thanks Wags and Harry - All excellent advice. I think it just felt like the old Tundra was beefier than this new Ford - structurally. I know I'm also nostalgic and miss that truck. Agree Wags - it was a great truck. I'll need to check into the max load issue, though. These Fords really do make an excellent and efficient TV when that is the focus (bad pun, I know), but I really enjoyed tooling around in the Tundra.
Harry - Sadly, I am not one to sit on a thought for very long, and shopping for a vehicle...or actually ordering one, is not my forte. I have about a 200 mile impulse buy radius, but will definitely look for the bigger tank...that sounds like a no-brainer. Appreciate the input on the Tundra.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 05-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #11

I paid 40K OTD for my '17 F-250 gasser full crew cab and it tows my 9K Jayco Eagle just fine. Truck is in my sig. Good luck
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
Site Team

I can't comment on the cab size decision. That is one that you need to figure out on your own.

However, when I hear of someone feeling uncomfortable with their tow, I always ask if they have scaled their combination to fine tune their hitch set up. If you haven't, visit a CAT scale and get things dialed in correctly and then see how your combination performs.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #13

It's very possible that some of the difference in towing stability (the OP experienced) between the aluminum F150 and 2007+ Tundra is based on the weight of the truck themselves. The aluminum F150's scale in around 5,000 lbs. empty. The 2007+ Tundras around 5,500 empty.

Mass (weight) determines whether the tow vehicle or the travel trailer is in primary control---i.e., whether the tail wags the dog . . . or not.

One of the primary reasons a 3/4 or 1-ton truck tow so well (vs. a 1/2-ton truck) is because they simply weigh more---anywhere from 6,500 lbs. (gas) to 8,000+ lbs. (diesel) empty.

BTW, the Tundra is way, way overdue for a drivetrain refresh (any year now---fingers crossed). The 5.7 drivetrain on the 2019 Tundra is the same drivetrain found on the 2007 Tundra. It's a good, reliable drivetrain, but fuel economy (especially when empty) is sub-par. For those interested in a new Tundra it may be worth waiting for the next generation Tundra drivetrain (better mpg's, 8-10 sp trannys, etc.).
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #14

1. If the cab is the issue, why did you buy a supercab instead of a supercrew?

2. Tow ability (engine performance) Toyota will not touch the F150. My brother has a Toyota and he tows a smaller trailer in 4th gear vs. towing in 5th or 6th with the F150

3. Toyota doesn't have Android Auto/Apple Carplay...that's a big deal.

4. Payloads on the Toyota's are not great (1200lbs - ish)

5. There are a number of threads about F150s not feeling stable while towing. 8/10 times it comes down to not having the WDH setup properly.

6. Toyota makes a great truck, but there is a reason they always end up in 5th place when ranked against the other trucks (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram). I hear for 2020 they're coming out with a new from the bottom up truck, so there might be something to look at in another year.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
. . . 5. There are a number of threads about F150s not feeling stable while towing. 8/10 times it comes down to not having the WDH setup properly . . .
I'd say there's two reasons for this. One, there are a lot of aluminum F150's on the road. Two, the aluminum F150's weigh less than their competitors. Yes, some of these F150 stability issues may be the result of improperly adjusted WDH's and/or sway bars, but not any more proportionally than the owners of other make and model trucks.

Granted, the F150's have plenty of power (specifically the Ecoboost 3.5 and 5.0 V8), but power is only part of the overall towing equation. When the trailer starts weighing more than the tow vehicle, the tow vehicle's ability to overcome the mass and momentum of the heavier trailer begins to diminish significantly. The best suspension (and engine) in the world cannot defy these basic laws of physics.

You want more stable towing---simply purchase a heavier truck---any make and model. Doesn't matter whether it's a Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, or Nissan.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

True. But in my situation for instance, my trailer weighs 8200lb. I use an Equalizer brand hitch and the first time I towed it was not a great experience. I redid my wdh setup and now it's fantastic. Same truck, same trailer, same hitch, just needed some tweaking.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #17

Not my intention of getting into the middle of a Ford-Chevy-Tundra issue, just thought I would share my experience.

I bought a new Tundra, double cab SR-5 with the tow package in April of 2007. I have used it to tow 2 different travel trailers, and 3 boats. I have made 2 cross country trips to mid-America from Arizona without any issues. I have owned both Fords and Chevys in the past but my Tundra has been the best of the lot. With a 130k miles it still pulls my 7200# travel trailer with ease. I still average 9.5-13 mpg depending on hills and wind. With my trailer loaded I still am below the trucks GVWR, and I am well below the 10K GCWR. My only complaint is the gas tank is 26 gallons so I have to plan fuel stops accordingly.

I have looked at the new Tundras just for kicks and giggles and frankly they don't compare to my '07. Very few are delivered with tow mirrors as standard equipment, and a lot of the features on mine are no longer available. I will stick with mine for the time being.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Mustang - I understand there are many variables.
F-150 XLT Twin Turbo EcoBoost (2017)
4x4 SuperCab
3.5 L
10 speed w/tow mode
3.55 rear end electronic lock
145" wheel base (*)
275/65R 18's (max'd psi)
Tow pkg - Tranny cooler, integrated brake control and sway control and the trailer backup assist that I have no idea how to use...and wouldn't use it anyway as it feels like cheating.
Blue Ox WDH ~4500 tongue
EzLift (RH) Sway Control
6.5 bed
Bucket seats for sure - totally agree w/you. Although in youth, the bench seat had its advantages...

For the Princess, a biggie is not having 4-door/full cab...actually for me too. The hounds are miserable, as well. The half-sized suicide doors and puny back seats just don't cut it for every day life. This was an impulse buy because I liked the tow pkg and thought that a longer bed would be handier than the full size cab - huge mistake. The truck definitely has all the power needed for the 23RB and I get it loaded pretty level with the blue ox. The max towing cap. is far beyond anything I would actually pull behind a truck this size. I just feel vulnerable when towing. I'm wondering if the shorter wheel base makes a big difference.

Also, this could simply be me looking to validate the purchase of a full cab and I'm expecting all of y'all to back me up and tell me what a POS truck I have. It's hell getting this old without having made a single mistake in my life only to have to admit what a huge one I made on a major purchase at this point.
Haha...AND we get to the crux of the issue in your last paragraph. Haha. Believe me...we can ALL relate! I personally have a 2018 F150 3.5 EB (that was a “justified” purchase, as well haha) and tow a 28 RLS. Haven’t had any issues or white knuckle experiences. Absolutely love the truck! Having said that, I have zero Tundra experience. I think you are right though...the crew can (full/4-door) is a must! Good luck with your decision! I’m sure you’ll be happy with however you go. I would say that the Tundra is about to be completely redesigned. Ask yourself how you’d fee driving a brand new “old” truck. Of course, I think the F-150 is about due, too. Just not near as old of a design as the current Tundra.
mgodsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
As mentioned, the full cab is the number one box to check on this next purchase, no matter what make and model - doesn't matter if it's a Yugo.
Wouldn’t four doors on a Yugo make it a Y’all go?
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
Wouldn’t four doors on a Yugo make it a Y’all go?
Or y’all “WON’T go” — it is a Yugo after all
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote